Awaiting The Nikon D800

Name
eddy
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anyone else is eagerly awaiting the new Nikon D800.

I want to add a full frame camera to my list, but I know that if I buy the D700 the D800 will come out a week later.
Also looking forward to the movie mode as I have kids and grandkids, it would be great to get some decent movies of them.

COME ON NIKON and put me out of my misery.

If only to pick up one of the hopeful flurry of D700s going up, then yes :)

Yes I'm waiting for the new D700 model too. So tempting to pick up a cheap second hand D700 but I'm my opinion it's always better to get current tech if available at the time.

Fingers crossed for an announcement soon!

If you keep waiting for the newest model, you`ll never get a camera........:)

:agree:thenonce you've waited for the newer then a little while later another model would be available then you wished you waited for that - then another & another & so on...

If you like the set up of the current model then why wait for a newer version to be released.... :shrug:

Then again cos its new its gonna be rather pricey - then after a wee while the price would drop then you'd wish you waited in order to get it cheaper....

:thinking: Catch 22 springs to mind.....

...Also looking forward to the movie mode.../QUOTE]

I'm not too fussed about whether there is a D4, D400 or D800 next. It's the latest incarnation of movie mode I'm waiting on- unfortunately Nikon's lack of experience is showing up here and it still seems to be an after thought with a poor grasp of what's wanted. Fingers crossed though...

I wanted movies so I bought an HD camcorder, I wanted pictures so I bought a D700. If the D800 has amazing specs then I might upgrade, but I wouldn't upgrade for a D700 + bolted on video mode.

I think we all have cameras though and are waiting for replacements or seconds

Agreed, what I meant is that,for example, you wait 2 months and get a D700s and then those clever marketing chaps at Nikon leak that a D750s is on the cards. Do you kick yourself for not waiting for the 750s or do you enjoy what you have?

I think we all get a bit hung up on having the latest gear without getting the best out of what we have. I have been guilty of that in the past ,but vowed to get out of that rut. The D300 with a D700 is a very good combo that suits MY needs very well. Of course I drool over D3`s and would love a pair, but do I really NEED one, for what I photograph,no I don`t.

Disclaimer.............The D700s and D750s are figments of my imagination and have only been used to make a small point. I have no inside knowledge of either models or know if they exist or are likely to exist.............:D

There is always that.
I have a clear understanding of what I want. And no money for anything else, so I am patiently waiting, and as usual they will upgrade 2 months later. and I'll kick myself.
But I think it's like that for everything you buy.

I want a D700 but with 18MP and a good movie mode.
I'll be happy with that.

Those with money to burn can keep upgrading and make the second hand market a better place to be.

Fair does then Eddy, be interesting to see what the actual spec is of any new models released.

fracster said:

Not necessarily. It is common knowledge that given the age of d700 and various rumours there will be a new one out soon and how silly would you feel if you bought one and a much better one came out z week later. If there is a replacement due be it cameras, computers or cars, it is worth waiting for a better model or cheaper prices on old one.

I think that the likes of Nikon, Canon etc dont just have the next "upgrade" in mind - they prob are working on the upgrade/model to follow that upgrade/model.. They're no doubt on models way way further down the line thatn what we all think...

:thinking: You'll never know they might even be working on a D900 or even a D5/s/x etc that will replace the poss D4/s/x, D800 :LOL:

I remember 8-10 yrs ago we brought a state of the art PC at about £1900 (all the gadgets & bits you could think of) & within a couple of months it was out of date.. Same goes with anything really camera's, cars, TV's & PS & Xbox etc

Last edited:
What I don't understand is you guys are talking about the D700 replacement like it's only going to be short lived. Some of you are saying why wait for the new technology as it'll be replaced soon anyway? How long has the D700 been on the Market? Surely, the replacement for the D700 will have a similar lifespan? If so, then those that are waiting on the D700 replacement are doing so for a very good reason? Just my penny's worth.

Personally if I wanted a FF camera I would be getting the D700 while it is still available - 12MP is quite enough for me, thank you!

Not necessarily. It is common knowledge that given the age of d700 and various rumours there will be a new one out soon and how silly would you feel if you bought one and a much better one came out z week later. If there is a replacement due be it cameras, computers or cars, it is worth waiting for a better model or cheaper prices on old one.

Did you read the following posts or not?

cambsno said:

I bought a D200 about a month before the D300 came out. Sure, I did think I'd sold myself short but I looked at it like this - I hit the D200 for half the price of a D300 so i could afford lenses and flash and accessories. Okay, the high ISO capabilities and MP count if the D300 was better, but I didn't feel silly - I still had a good camera to use and I'd saved a shedload of cash

Eddy,

Please buy a D700 mate as I can quite easily wait a week for the D800(?) :) I currently have a D300 and I love it but I am definitely going to make the move to full frame this year and have been buying suitable lenses with this in mind.

I have been sooo close to buying a D700 from the classifieds on here but I just can't take the plunge just yet with all the D800 rumours going around.

I totally agree with the sentiment of the other thread contributors about new technology and waiting for the next big thing but like also mentioned before I want the choice. If the D700 replacement turns out only to have full HD video and a few more MP then like others I will be going for a 'bargain' D700. However, if the undoubted additional cost is a consequence of a much more substantial upgrade then I will be glad I waited - in the mean time my D300 is great.

you all do realise that the d800 rumours have been going about since last march if not before,with everyone expecting it to be released soon(since then)
And going by nikon rumours its the 5100 and evil that will get released next.

i would also expect everything new to get pushed back with whats happening in japan,im sure sorting their country out is more important that selling cameras.

i would also expect everything new to get pushed back with whats happening in japan,im sure sorting their country out is more important that selling cameras.

Unfortunately I don't think it is.
If they dont keep up with trends, people go elsewhere. then people lose jobs.

Funnily enough I am moving from a 5d Mark II to Nikon D700. Do remember there is talk of a Mark III 5d aswell! From experience I found it hard to get used to the 5d, the Nikon way of thinking and working is engraved into me :(

I'm not waiting anymore either, hoping to buy a D700 tomorrow. :)

I just hope the following week there isn't a D800 announcement! What is the brand new price of a current D700 typically?

£1700 on average I would say. I figure that even if the D800 comes out soon it will still be significantly more expensive than that and some of that extra would be undoubtedly for video capability which is of zero interest to me. I can then use some of my spare budget for a new lens. :D

The only reason that I want to go FF is for the better low light capability.
I'm very keen to try out my lenses on the D700:

70-200mm f2.8 VR1
50mm F1.4G
105mm F2.8G Macro

My only concern is that the upgrade over my D300 won't be what I am expecting...oh well enough research now - just going to take the plunge!

Last edited:
No point thinking about it buddy, just do it! I have a 50mm coming with mine, just need to decide which zoom I want as I am away on holiday soon and don't fancy carrying a bag of lenses :(

I too am in the same boat. I currently have a D90, which was my first serious camera. I'm not in no rush so when the D800 comes out I'll pick one up :)

Would the difference between a D90 and a D700/D800 be a substantial improvement??
I'm also hoping they release a VR version of the 24-70 2.8 around the same time :) I plan on using that and the 70-200 vr2.

I would say that it would be a substanital improvement over your D90, saying that without knowing what you specifically use your D90 for of course...I almost bought the 90 before buying the D300.

I've just bought my wife a D90, she currently has a D5000 so can't wait for that upgrade! :D

What kind of photography do you normally shoot?

The difference between DX and FX is mainly performance in low light. With FX you can have higher ISO will less noise compared to a DX. Also the field of view is larger with FX as it doesn't have 1.5 crop factor, it does however mean the reach of a typical lens is less compared to DX. There is an improvement between FX and DX but depends on what your shooting and more importantly, what kind of glass you shoot with. The 2 lenses you mentioned are the best pro lenses you can buy in that focal range.

Hey Osmo and Wazy, to be fair I mainly take pictures of the family. Either at home or whilst we are out and about. Would love to go out there and do some wildlife, but to be honest I don't have the time.

I'm also a noob when it comes to photography, still very much learning the ropes.

Don't forget, chaps, that with current events in Japan Nikon (and all the other manufacturers) and their Japan-based suppliers have far more important things to contend with

I will be getting the D4 or D800, purely because I want the video mode + another pro body to run along side the D700.

I really want to play with the video, I wanted a D3s but just couldn't stretch to it and I've kicked myself since. There are just some moments that a photo can't convey compared to a video. And with a kid on the way, I'd like the best of both worlds :)

Don't forget, chaps, that with current events in Japan Nikon (and all the other manufacturers) and their Japan-based suppliers have far more important things to contend with

As the D800/D4/etc was in any case expected to come out in August I would not expect there to be any significant change... whatever they come out with will be in short supply for at least a year after its announced anyway, even without the disaster affecting their plants, going by Nikon's past performance with their "pro" cameras. And with the Yen now going bananas on the exchange rates, who knows what they will cost...

Personally I was prepared to wait before the tsunami, so I'm still prepared to wait! I'm not going to be paniced into buying something very very expensive that will be replaced by something else that is bound to be significantly "improved" within 6 months. Although whether or not those improvements will be in areas I personally care about and find useful (low light, resolution) or not (video) would be helpful to know:thinking: as a refurbished D700 or D3S is quite attractive...

I too am in the same boat. I currently have a D90, which was my first serious camera. I'm not in no rush so when the D800 comes out I'll pick one up :)

Would the difference between a D90 and a D700/D800 be a substantial improvement??
I'm also hoping they release a VR version of the 24-70 2.8 around the same time :) I plan on using that and the 70-200 vr2.

you'll have to look in to the DX-FX progression. your lenses will have different equivalent focal lengths. for example, a 24-70mm on a full frame d700 will give you approximately the same Focal length as a 17-55mm on a cropped d90.

Back