b&w developing...costs

Name
ian lancaster
Edit My Images
Yes
just a quick question for anyone who develops their own b&w negs...have you ever worked out a per film cost for the chemicals used, if so what is it?

thanks...

Depends on the chemicals I guess.

Fix and stop lasts a while. So although you may pay ~£10 a bottle it lasts forever as it is diluted before you start.

For dev I personally use ID11. Powder for 5l costs just under £9. 300ml devs 1 x 35mm film so the cost of dev is about 60p a film + a few pennies for Stop and Fix.

If you use different devs they will last more than one shot of developer and you can dilute ID11 to save money if you don't mind longer dev times.

Film is the major cost per roll...

And your time. Time is money and all that ;)

thanks for the input. time is not a factor really...if i am going to carry on with film i'd like to be able to go out, shoot a roll and be able to see the results the same day if i want to...
just wanted to make sure that the chemical costs would not be ridiculously high or something...60p/70p a roll seems cool though, especially combined with cheaper, bulk film deals, or out of date stuff!

when you pay £5 for developing/mounting and £4 for a film, well, 30 rolls of film and you have spent enough to buy a dslr...makes you think.

Exactly. I only do a couple of rolls a month. It's a bit of a treat. Then again I shot digi for the first time in a couple of weeks and that was a treat to get back into.

As for mounting I learnt how to do it on my C&G course a few weeks back. Window mounting is easy. Again initial outlay for the tool (£40) but then you're cooking.

My local framer wanted an extra tenner to window mount before adding a wooden frame!!!

Cost of developing depensds on your developer choice. I just bought a new bottle of rodinal from Silverprint for £12. Depending on dilution that would do between 40 and 150 rolls of 35mm, or about 24-90 rolls of 120.

So between 8p and 50p (generally closer to the 8p end (y))

Fix and stop are dirt cheap, in reality probably another couple of p per roll, so it can be as cheap as about 10-12p:D

Generally though people dont use super dilute rodinal as their main developer so it costs a bit more, but its still not going to be massively expensive. Film is pretty much your main cost

Back