B&W developing - what do I need?

Edit My Images
Yes
After watching a few videos on youtube I've decided to give home developing a go as it seems quite simple.

I found this kit for sale, does it have everything I need?

Anti-static changing bag
Film duo tank + 2 spirals
Measuring beakers (50ml & 700ml)
Film squeegy
Ilford film retriever
2 x film drying clips
Film can opener
Stirring Paddles
Force film washer
Accordion storage bottle
8x optical magnifier (for inspecting prints)

+film developing instructions

+free chemicals (Ilford ilfosol x3, ilfostop, ilford rapid fixer)

From the research I've done it seems like everything, I'm not really sure about the chemicals though. It also said they were out of date but un-opened, does this mean they can't be used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not all of that is stictly necessarry. Obviously you need a changing bag (or dark place), tank, chemicals, thermometer and measuring beakers but fingers can be used rather than a squeegy, clothes pegs for clips, bottle opener for film, use the thermometer for stirring and why on earth do you need a print inspector?

The chemicals should be fine. when did they go off?

You don't necessarily need all of that but there are probably a couple of things you've missed too. I've started developing recently and here's my equipment:

1. Developing tank
2. Weighted clips
3. Thermometer <--
4. A jug
5. Chemicals
6. Clothes hanger

I develop after dark in a wardrobe, that's my darkroom/darkbag. Film into tank. Chems mixed in jug. Temperature check. Then into tank. Do the shakey shakey washy washy thing. Film onto clips. Hang on a clothes hanger to dry.

I would like to add the accordian type storage yolkies to my collection though.

It will depend really on the cost of the kit

In the minimum you need the following

universal tank +1 spiral = 10 £ ( ebay)
thermometer + timer = 6-7 £ ( chinese, delivered)
changing bag = 6-8 £
3 plastic mug = 3 £ ( robert dyas
1 measuring cylinder = 5 £ ebay)

And thats all you really need, apart from chemicals.

I will suggest that you get fresh chemicals; because if the negatives dont come out right, you will never know whether it was your mistake or the chemicals.

I used the Ilford B/W development instruction ( Ilford website); and the Ilford chemicals they suggested. The chemicals are use and throw, so you dont really need all the storage bottles etc.

Even though the supposed reason for home development is cost savings; I suspect the real reason for many is really the pleasure of doing it. It certainly is for me. So I will suggest that for the first few rolls, use fresh, use and throw, chemicals and enjoy the result

Long time since I did any but I remember that I really enjoyed seeing the results - I had a darkroom in the roofspace, but light came in through between the slates so I used to have to wait until after dark - thanks for bringing back the memories :)

I know theres a couple things that are not strictly necessary but I was just interested in it because it all came as a job lot. Seems the one thing that is missing though is a thermometer.

I looked at the listing again and it didnt say specifically the chemicals were out of date, only that he didn't know if they were any good anymore.

Im going to follow the listing to see what it goes for, if its cheap enough I'll get it but if not Ill just buy the things separately especially if you think I should buy my own chemicals anyway.

Long time since I did any but I remember that I really enjoyed seeing the results

This for me is one of the most enjoying parts of photography - opening up a tank, removing the film from the spiral and seeing images on the film. Even after processing for over 20 years, I enjoy it as much now as I did back then including the printing process.

do you guys all bother being careful with BnW temp then? I wash in cold and mix chems with a bit of cold and a bit of hot :p

8x optical magnifier (for inspecting prints)

Just reading back on your original post, the magnifier would only be used at the printing stage. Usually called a focus finder, you place it on the printing easel and focus on the film grain prior to making the final print.

Back