B+W from lochan na h-achlaise

Belter.
Loving the simplicity, space and processing.
Doesn't need to fill the frame for me.

Cheers Thomas :). I have played around with a few crops with this image and it did suite a square also. I just liked the positioning of the rocks and as suggested in my initial post, the way the little tree looks to be raising a stumpy arm in gesture to them :)

Have you tried flipping it? It's far better than anything I could do it just feels the wrong way round when I viewed it that's the first thing that came to my mind. I'd love to see it the the tree on the opposite side and rocks on the right. But what do I know!? Cheers

Have you tried flipping it? It's far better than anything I could do it just feels the wrong way round when I viewed it that's the first thing that came to my mind. I'd love to see it the the tree on the opposite side and rocks on the right. But what do I know!? Cheers
Hey Chris. That's a fair suggestion and genuinely not something I had considered. Will give it a go in PS and see what I think (y)

Superb piece of work !

Stunning:).

At first I wanted some separation between the lake and a skyline, but the more I looked; I appreciated the seamless transition between the reflection in the lake and the lone tree appearing through the "pea soup" mist - Perfect.

Thank you muchly :). Again. I played with different editing techniques here and settled on the seamless transition between sky and water for simplicity :)

I actually prefer this picture "flipped" with the tree on the left but either way, it's an amazing composition that I could only dream of doing.

Must get the camera back out !
Cheers Gary. Flipping an image is certainly something I will consider in future as its never been a thought before!

Sorry, is Neil the only one allowed to do B+W waterscapes? :p Better go take photos of trees instead then o_O:D

He is probably one of the best photographers in the world for this style of work and my first instinct was it reminded me of his shots.

So you should take my comment as the compliment it was intended to be :)

He is probably one of the best photographers in the world for this style of work and my first instinct was it reminded me of his shots.

So you should take my comment as the compliment it was intended to be :)
That was the thing though mate. I didn't know how to take it as I find it quite hard to extract how it was meant via plain text and without a smiley face or the like to convey the expression or emotion as you have used in the second reply :)

My remark was somewhat tongue in cheek also. And I wholeheartedly agree of Neil's unique style and it's quality. Would have loved to have said I based this on his style but with the conditions I had I didn't have a lot of choice :D

Last edited:
That was the thing though mate. I didn't know how to take it as I find it quite hard to extract how it was meant via plain text and without a smiley face or the like to convey the expression or emotion as you have used in the second reply :)

My remark was somewhat tongue in cheek also. And I wholeheartedly agree of Neil's unique style and it's quality. Would have loved to have said I based this on his style but with the conditions I had I didn't have a lot of choice :D

The typed word does lose something in translation doesn't it.

And for the record I'm bored of trees!

Oh and for the record my side. The trees comment wasn't aimed at you. Very much a generalisation of how many tree shots seem to be about at the moment!

Personally, I love some of them but can't get to grips with the single branch fine art stuff!!

Last edited:
Back