Beginner B+W post/pre

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, when some of you guys are taking B+W of say, people/street/urban do you set your camera to shoot in B+W or just change it to that in processing?

Change it in PP personally, but Steve Huff uses/used an X20 to do B&W SOOC with some brilliant results. But, changing in PP allows you to use a colour shot if you want to. Worth a go for sure!!

That's great guys, thank you for the reply's, I will be getting out after the weekend for some people/urban/street stuff so I will be having a go. I suppose that's the beauty of digital, you have got so many options at your fingertips.

Raw+jpg, that way you get the preview/review of how it will look in b&w (very handy with an EVF) and you get the do-it-later option in post if you don't like the way you had it set-up in camera..

Here's a simple (but real life) example. A red rose with green leaves, and converted to greyscale in Photoshop.
View attachment 11047
And using the colour version more intelligently to take account of the colours, we have a simulated green and a simulated red filter to separate the tones of flower and leaf.
View attachment 11048

Shoot Raw with in-camera picture styles set to mono.

That will give you a good idea of how the image looks in mono on the LCD while you're working, but saves the full colour Raw file so you have all options open in post-processing.

Edit: you can also apply coloured filter effects to mono in picture styles, if you want to preview what it looks like with say a red filter.

Last edited:
Ha ha thanks for all the info guys. I will take on board as much as I can, its a steep learning curve ahead of me !!.

Shoot Raw with in-camera picture styles set to mono.

That will give you a good idea of how the image looks in mono on the LCD while you're working, but saves the full colour Raw file so you have all options open in post-processing.

Edit: you can also apply coloured filter effects to mono in picture styles, if you want to preview what it looks like with say a red filter.

This is the right way to do it. And the d300 allows you to shoot raw + jpeg. You may as well set the jpeg to be be 'small' as you will just be using it to preview the shot on the camera screen.

Back