B & W Processing - Are you doing it right?

Jeez, could she talk any slower? I had to give up after a few minutes. :facepalm:
I agree the presenter could be better, but the information is useful.

Jeez, could she talk any slower? I had to give up after a few minutes. :facepalm:

Lol... I'm with you on that one! Settings(cog wheel)>Playback Speed to 2 did it for me :)

Clickbaity title, but the info was interesting nonetheless. Unsurprisingly, Lightroom does a similar thing with its B&W conversions. The auto-button just makes it worse.
So I downloaded the colour chart and fiddled with it myself to get something pretty good. LR has sliders from -100 to +100 with "middle" being 0 and I couldn't make the percentages she quoted work.

So there's no science to this but it's pretty good.

It's just an xmp preset which you can drop to your desktop and import into LR. Or you can copy the settings from my screengrab.

hgqergqer.GIF

Edit: lol. That's illegible...

Red -26, orange -1, yellow -20, green -33, aqua -33, blue -17, purple -13, magenta -9.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky

That's Ally. Her husband, Ezra, used to do the videos and he could be even slower at times. Then he got chronic acid reflux and had to give up the presenting about a year ago, though I suspect that he still does most of the production work. Their slow enunciation might be due to a conscious decision to go for clarity, to make sure everyone can understand them. I know I struggle with some lazy American drawls in videos that are obviously totally unrehearsed. And YouTube's generated subtitles often just make things worse.

Reactions: Sky
Unsurprisingly, Lightroom does a similar thing with its B&W conversions.

I'm not saying whether it's good or bad, as there are reasons for having this fully under your control, but the Capture One B/W panel automatically makes this perceptual correction and simply switching it on gives results very similar to the results in Affinity Photo (and presumably LR/ACR) without needing to make any adjustments.

I did watch that video when it came out, but didn't pay it much attention as I had always assumed that LR/ACR as well as C1 automatically made this correction. So very useful to hear your LR experience.

Although the video is useful, and it's interesting to see what the program will do without intervention, the main point in having the adjustment sliders is to alter the tonal balance when carrying out the conversion to B&W.
I don't suppose that anyone just clicks the B&W button and then leaves it at that. I invariably adjust at least one of the colour sliders when I make a B&W conversion, whatever program I'm using.

I liked it. I had no problem at all with her presentation which was clear and in time with the demonstration on the video which was a positive for me. I consider it a well thought out and presented video.

Now, if she'd started every sentence with the word, "so".......... :mad:

If anyone cares you can download a similar colour checker chart without having to give your emaila ddress from here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-online-tools-calibrate-monitor/

FWIW Silver Efex (where I do all my mono work) automatically adjusts in the manner she descibed to give a 'natural' mono look, while LR6 does not. I should give it a try in the B&W module of On1 as well.

Last edited:
That's Ally. Her husband, Ezra, used to do the videos and he could be even slower at times. Then he got chronic acid reflux and had to give up the presenting about a year ago, though I suspect that he still does most of the production work. Their slow enunciation might be due to a conscious decision to go for clarity, to make sure everyone can understand them. I know I struggle with some lazy American drawls in videos that are obviously totally unrehearsed. And YouTube's generated subtitles often just make things worse.
I must admit the speed of her delivery did not annoy me, and for the sake of accuracy it must be better to be too slow rather than too fast.
I used to watch Aaron Nace on "Phlearn" and I often found he was just a bit too quick, and I spent time rewinding and replaying a section just to make sure I heard it right.
The main thing I found annoying about Ally was that she was a bit giggly at the start.
I think a technical subject needs a more serious approach.

She is. But she and Ezra seem like the happiest people on the internet. To the point where I've sometimes wondered if they're members of some happy cult. :D
Ah yes - I believe you can get pills for that. ;)
If you look at what utter drivel 99% of youtube videos are, I'm amazed at the flack she's drawing here o_O
:agree:

Back