Babies babies everywhere.

gpa

Edit My Images
Yes
I have spent the last month and a half visiting this nest site. I wanted to get some intimate shots of new born Cygnets on the nest with mother. my biggest concern was that I did not want to stress the swans in anyway, so I decided to visit from the start of the egg lay to ensure they got used to my presence long before any babies arrived. I started by approaching the nest at distance and getting them used to seeing and hearing me ( yes I spoke to them). He was there sometimes but also off relentlessly chasing the Geese and anything else he took a dislike too around the lake. Gradually I started to move closer until I got to a point I felt was close enough not to invade their space and cause stress or even worse an attack.

I have to say there were a couple of butt clenching moments as I sat quietly taking pictures when he wallowed over to me, coming no more than a few feet. Not in an aggressive way but you sure could feel his presence and I have no doubt he was just putting me in my place.

The only downside was really the weather, very overcast and shot over two early evenings so I had to use ISO's from 1500 to 3000.

So... I hope you like them
Click on pic for large

No1

No2

No3

No4

No5

No6

Last edited:
They are right little crackers....the babies and the pictures themselves. You have done a fantastic job there :):clap:

Number 5 is just great! Superb job. The lighting is a bit dull but it sounds like it couldn't be helped.

Lovely cute and fluffy. Liking the babies on their own most as the swan looks a little grey.

Hmm not seeing the grey you talk about on the swans poss No 5 (scratches head) always difficult to get the exposure right especially swans and blowing highlights. It may be a product of me trying to control both. Can you tell which is the worst in terms of grey and I'll look at it again and see what if anything i can do.

cheers

Last edited:
Number 5 is just great! Superb job. The lighting is a bit dull but it sounds like it couldn't be helped.

Completely overcast, sun behind the trees and a battle for DOF and shutter speed while taking these at 400mm, hence the ISO's I had to use. Trust me after the bloody time i put in I would have given anything for a nice bright day :D

3 and 5 looks really good to me, but they all look good mate :)

Thanks to everyone who commented, much appreciated. Constructive criticism is fine as I'm always willing to learn (y)

Click on for large.

No 7 Meet mummy:grin:

No 8 Meet daddy chasing Geese around the lake :grin:

No 9 Anyone for a lift ?

No 10 All aboard

Thanks for all the comments everyone much appreciated and doing wonders for my Mojo which I lost somewhat recently :smashin:

Out of the six babies only 4 left now, last couple for you.
Click for large

No 11
Out on the river

No 12
Time to get snuggled up

Back