TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken today :)

Baby_Blue_Tit2.jpg

Baby_Blue_Tit3.jpg

Ian I think you need a kick up the arse mate posting stuff of this quality with the gear you have. Sorry, but somebody needs to tell you. :wave:

Ian I think you need a kick up the arse mate posting stuff of this quality with the gear you have. Sorry, but somebody needs to tell you. :wave:

Have you ever heard the saying "If you can't something good, shut the ---- up"

Brian

very endearing photos, i like them a lot. We have baby blue tits nesting in our bird box on the house wall. Ill have to keep an eye on their progress. Again nice work.

Have you ever heard the saying "If you can't something good, shut the ---- up"

Brian

Carrying that to it's logical conclusion we'd all say "Super duper - great shot!" and all be living in Cloud Cuckoo Land as to where we're actually 'at' with our photography. I know Ian very well - I don't know you, but thanks for your useful contribution anyway.

I know Ian loves his bird photography and he invests a great deal of time in it not to mention the wonga. He's capable of far better stuff than this, and in fact he seems to have been going backwards with his photography for some time now. It can happen to any of us, and we just need to step back and take a critical look at what we're doing.

Ian is free to ignore my comments and stick pins in my plasticine effigy as long as he gets back to doing the stuff I know he's capable of. ;)

Well I think they're great captures of something that's not seen very often and just wanted to say thanks for sharing (y)

I think these are very sweet and at my level of incompetence I am struggling to see beyond that.
CT would you possibly explain what is wrong with the shots? I think it would be most helpful to the likes of me.

I think these are very sweet and at my level of incompetence I am struggling to see beyond that.
CT would you possibly explain what is wrong with the shots? I think it would be most helpful to the likes of me.
Well baby Blue Tits are sweet no argument. :D

We surely have to look beyond that though as photographers to the image itself? At your level of competence it probably would be a good catch and deserving of some positive advice and encouragement. Ian on the other hand is an experienced photographer carting gear around equivalent to the price of your average family car, and for him these are the sort of shots that you curse as not being quite there and consign to the bin.

What's wrong with them is that they look like enormous crops on the very limit of retaining resolution - they're very soft with no feather detail at all. I'm not sure the shutter speed was really enough to freeze the action anyway and he would have done better to increase the ISO. In short it looks like a huge crop lacking definition, possibly aggravated by too low a shutter speed to freeze subject movement. Don't get me wrong - I take these shots, I just don't post 'em and expect everyone to have orgasms over them.

Hope that helps, but I'm quite resigned to being the villain of the piece anyway. :D

Last edited:

We surely have to look beyond that though as photographers to the image itself? At your level of competence it probably would be a good catch and deserving of some positive advice and encouragement. Ian on the other hand is an experienced photographer carting gear around equivalent to the price of your average family car, and for him these are the sort of shots that you curse as not being quite there and consign to the bin.

What's wrong with them is that they look like enormous crops on the very limit of retaining resolution - they're very soft with no feather detail at all. I'm not sure the shutter speed was really enough to freeze the action anyway and he would have done better to increase the ISO. In short it looks like a huge crop lacking definition, possibly aggravated by too low a shutter speed to freeze subject movement. Don't get me wrong - I take these shots, I just don't post 'em and expect everyone to have orgasms over them.

Hope that helps, but I'm quite resigned to being the villain of the piece anyway. :D

Thank you. A great explanation that made a lot of sense.

Thanks for the feedback CT, All correct, wasnt posting them for people to have orgasms over though, was just something different and a bit cute.

I dont generally post that many shots at the moment, purely because i am struggling with motivation, im not overly interested in LBJ's and would rather be spending hours watching Owls or Hawks, the local Kingfishers are being kept at bay by a member of the local trust committee because he doesnt like photographers. So has kept the water level very high in the pool where they used to fish a lot last year, hence they arent being seen, or perching anywhere we can photograph them. I would love to spend more time with the Dippers (an exception to the LBJ rule) but they are quite a distance away, and by a very popular path and i think people have disturbed the nest site, so unless i can find another site, thats out of the window.

Think i need to find me some different sites to visit to get my mojo back.

Thanks again CT, for anybody reading Cedrics comments and thinking thats a bit bloody harsh, i have known him for quite a few years now, and dont take anything he says personally, i know his intentions are good :)

Think i need to find me some different sites to visit to get my mojo back.

I know where you can get some really close-up sparrowhawk shots
if you want the "practise" ;) :D

Ian - thanks for taking the comments in the spirit in which they were intended. :) It really bugs me looking at the stuff you post lately to what I know you can do.

I know exactly the sort of phase you're going through, we all get 'em - finding new species is a constant struggle and in many respects this is a funny time of year with all the foliage and the lack of winter visitors.

Me - I just love LBJ's :D

Keep clickin' ;)

Carrying that to it's logical conclusion we'd all say "Super duper - great shot!" and all be living in Cloud Cuckoo Land as to where we're actually 'at' with our photography. I know Ian very well - I don't know you, but thanks for your useful contribution anyway.

I know Ian loves his bird photography and he invests a great deal of time in it not to mention the wonga. He's capable of far better stuff than this, and in fact he seems to have been going backwards with his photography for some time now. It can happen to any of us, and we just need to step back and take a critical look at what we're doing.

Ian is free to ignore my comments and stick pins in my plasticine effigy as long as he gets back to doing the stuff I know he's capable of. ;)

(y)(y) I have just taken a look at this thread myself due to the fact I just snapped a couple of baby BT`s in the garden. And you are right CT. My first thought when I saw them was, something is up, as mentioned they are not Ians usual quality, but thats just my opinion. They are cute though Ian :woot::woot:

Ian, these are crappish mate,nowhere near your usual standard............:LOL:

Cedric kinda said it,in a more diplomatic way than I.............:D

Seriously mate,I was losing interest,until my recent jaunt to Scotland,it has got me buzzing again,Shame I have a bleeding wedding to do abroad this week........:thumbsdown:

Im hoping Skomer next month and Mull in August will give me a poke in the right direction.

We all need a kick up the ass from time to time Ian :LOL:

I'm still trying to catch up on everything I have missed recently. I like to check out your threads Ian, so here I am :D

Now, I agree with CT, and so do you by the looks of it so I won't go into that. What I will say though ... If you find yourself this way any time soon you're more than welcome to pop in for a couple of hours and utilise my little set up :) My office space is cleared now, so I'm not ashamed of it anymore :LOL: Not only will you get plenty of LBJ action, that will be a bit easier, but there are other bits and bobs around to. Who knows, you might even get lucky with the Barnies!

I think if you remind yourself what you're capable of your mojo might well return. If taking an easier approach to achieving this is what it takes, then my offer is on the table.

Jo
xxx

Back