Back after 5 years!!

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
Hello guys and girls

Im back after not being on here for 5 years due to personal mental health situations.

However, Im hoping to use this forum as regularly as I used to back in the past.

One thing that does make me think and Ive thought this for a few years now,

How do we compete with smart phones, I feel like they are just as good as DSLR`s now, or maybe I dont know enough to still agree that DSLR`s are still as good as they were before smart phones became a thing. For me personally I do struggle to compete with them, but thats me, what are your thoughts?

Also, I bought a new camera, Nikon D7500, and I love it so much <3 :D

Hope youve all done well over the years.

Welcome back.

Until recently people competed with smart phones by using shallow depth of field but the latest phones can now simulate that too. So I guess it's long lenses and birds in flight ;)

Welcome back Daniel. There's no competition - they're all real cameras. ;)

However if you start to push a smartphone image a little in the way you might a photo from a larger sensor, they tend to fall apart. Also try printing large & you'll see the difference.

Glad to have you back!
As Toni says, it's not really a competition, some phone images are excellent on the web or laptop screen, but I think what sets DSLR/Mirrorless apart is the desire of the tog to control the process of making the image. You can do that with a phone to varying degrees, but what a faff!

I find pressing the shutter a problem, has it taken the shot, did it actually happen at the right moment, did the action of pressing move the phone, give me a proper camera any day. Phones are OK for down the pub shots, anything else no thanks

Welcome back.

Until recently people competed with smart phones by using shallow depth of field but the latest phones can now simulate that too. So I guess it's long lenses and birds in flight ;)
This is exactly why I love photography is photographing birds. For me it's like Pokemon.... however I find my 300mm sigma lens just isn't hitting the mark anymore haha

Thank you for replying guys, it's a good insight into the opinions of each of you.

Thank you for the welcome back too.

I'm hoping I'm able to start picking it up again tbh.

Hi welcome back. For years I looked down on the use of smart phones use as cameras carrying several compacts around in various backpacks to ensure I tool real(ish) photographs. This all changed last year when circumstances forced a modern, and expensive (for me) phone on me. Now it's replaced all the compacts and I realise it's just another camera that I can also use to phone people on whilst also recording the usual rubbish I've always done. Liberating.

Back