Beginner Back button focussing.

Edit My Images
Yes
ok ive watched a few youtube clips on this and im getting the impression that it is a good thing to learn but
Are there disadvantages from using it?
If i use the aelk button on my d7200 for focussing it disables the regular function,but isnt the reg function itself a way of locking focus,thats a bit confusing to me plus im not sure i get it 100% .
What do most of the experienced togs here use andshould i learn it?

Last edited:
The normal function is to lock exposure not focus? Set half press of the shutter to exposure lock and jobs a gooden

For general use I've never seen the benefits of BBF as it means i can't quickly move the focus point as my thumb would doing the focusing. I do use BBF for landscapes as its a great way to set focus and not change it accidentally or have to switch the lens/camera between auto and manual focus.

I tried very hard to get on with it, but it's not for me. That was with a D7000.

Oddly though, it really works well on my Fuji X100s in low light.

When I went from D60 to D300 I picked up on it and have used it since, I find it quite natural now.

I have been using bbf for a while now, what I've found is, i find it harder to hold the camera still.
This may have something to do with my big clumpy hands and fingers on a smallish camera body. I'm sure in time i will find the best way to hold it steady.

I tried very hard to get on with it, but it's not for me. That was with a D7000.

Oddly though, it really works well on my Fuji X100s in low light.

Similar for me, D7000 didn't get on with it, D7200 low light, especially bif it works well and I'm starting to like it (y)

I use the AFL button to lock exposure.
I do move the focus point in the finder and use the half press.

When I use manual focus, I use the AFL button to set the focus, as it will do so on what ever the point is covering, I might then tweak the focus at 10x magnification.

I use back button all the time, specifically wildlife and landscape photography it has plenty of advantages and no disadvantages. The only disadvantages would be a, you forget, b, you've run out of buttons to customise for something else you find more useful, unlikely though and c, your fingers don't feel comfortable on the grip.
For wildlife recomposing a shot is much quicker than moving the focus point and missing a shot due to an animal running off.
I.e., focus,compose, shoot.
Having single and continuous focus without changing anything is very handy with wildlife too.
Steve perry YouTube vid on back button is one you may have watched already, but maybe worth a Google if you haven't

Last edited:
I've held a few Nikon's that I think might be uncomfortable to BBF.

But all Canon bodies have a button in the right place to make it comfortable. There's no downside.

I don't think there's a downside to BFF...

I use it when I'm capturing dogs running towards me - so I can prefocus on an area I know they're going to be running into - and the camera can sort out the shutter speed (I use Aperture priority) without me having to do much else ;)

The only downside is that if you ask someone else to take a photo (or more amusingly, someone wants to have a go) with your camera, they can't get it to focus without instruction. And when you do explain it, be prepared for a WTF look. Especially challenging when dealing with teenagers using your camera.

The only downside is that if you ask someone else to take a photo (or more amusingly, someone wants to have a go) with your camera, they can't get it to focus without instruction. And when you do explain it, be prepared for a WTF look. Especially challenging when dealing with teenagers using your camera.

Ha ha!!! I'd forgotten about that.... or even worse, someone who is top of the game scowls and looks you in the eye and says "what do you have that for?!?!?!???" and your mouth goes dry...... LOL!

I used back button focus for a while and it worked well, but I seem to have settled into the rather weird habit of leaving the focus on the shutter button and reassigning the AF ON button to AF OFF instead these days and just have it there under my thumb to quickly lock out the AF when required when recomposing, etc - no idea why, it just seems to work for me!

Ha ha!!! I'd forgotten about that.... or even worse, someone who is top of the game scowls and looks you in the eye and says "what do you have that for?!?!?!???" and your mouth goes dry...... LOL!

Or when you're PX'ing your camera and the guy in the shop frowns when he can't focus it and you have to try and remember how to unset it.

Haven't thought about using anything else since I first used it years ago.

With the old traditional half press on the shutter method, you have to keep your finger half pressing that button. Take it off and you have to do it all over again. Press too hard and you take inadvertently take a picture you had not intended, interrupting the process and starting all over again. With BBF on my Canons, I simply acquire focus. track when the subject moves and leave my front finger to shoot at the right moment.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I use bbf on my canon cameras formed it so natural. On my 7d2 I have 2 back buttons set up one for a1 focus and one for one shot. My thumb just moves to which ever button I need.

I changed to BBF on my D7000 a few years ago and it's stayed that way ever since. Centre point focus and re-compose works well for what I do.

Agree. Focus-recompose technique with the centre AF point is a good and popular method, and is very much easier with BBF - I'd say almost essential. Less so with other techniques.

I found, several years ago, that BBF using AF-On button quickly became the instictive way to focus with my Nikon (cannot speak for other makes). It is so simple.

Put the sensor over the subject
Moving subject - press and hold AF-On and release shutter
Still subject - press and release AF-On then release shutter.

Basically it eliminates any need to switch between AF-C & AF-S modes.

If you set up BBF then you can't use a remote release. You have to use the on camera buttons every time.
Shouldn't be a problem with landscape or static subjects as one press of the back button should focus and lock. You can then use a remote. Works on my Nikons.

If you set up BBF then you can't use a remote release. You have to use the on camera buttons every time.

You can use a remote release, but not for focusing ;) Mostly that's an advantage in practise, but if not, you can always switch BB-AF off.

Aye... that's why my husband is only allowed to use the fuji. It's too much of a PITA to explain to him how to use my Canon.

Really?
I'm sure I've used a remote release occasionally.
So long as you are within arms reach you can play with the buttons as above, but that seems to defeat the object. If you are worried about camera shake then use 2 secs delay.
If you are more than a couple of feet away - say using wireless triggers - then you can't.

So long as you are within arms reach you can play with the buttons as above, but that seems to defeat the object. If you are worried about camera shake then use 2 secs delay.
If you are more than a couple of feet away - say using wireless triggers - then you can't.
Obviously if wireless remote use is important to you you wouldn't want to use any of the cameras buttons.

Frankly it's a bit of a WTF comment. Like saying that using a telephoto lens is no use for shooting interiors.

Using BBF is only relevant when the camera is in your hand. If you can't touch the button, it's clearly a stupid thing to do.

Obviously if wireless remote use is important to you you wouldn't want to use any of the cameras buttons.

Frankly it's a bit of a WTF comment. Like saying that using a telephoto lens is no use for shooting interiors.

Using BBF is only relevant when the camera is in your hand. If you can't touch the button, it's clearly a stupid thing to do.

that depends on who's interiors you are shooting..

I found, several years ago, that BBF using AF-On button quickly became the instictive way to focus with my Nikon (cannot speak for other makes). It is so simple.

Put the sensor over the subject
Moving subject - press and hold AF-On and release shutter
Still subject - press and release AF-On then release shutter.

Basically it eliminates any need to switch between AF-C & AF-S modes.
So which is your default AFC?

Back