Back in time - a film camera

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
My better half is asking what I might like for birthday/Christmas this year. I've bought quite a few manual lenses in the past month and I'm enjoying the path of discovery with this old glass. Thinking about buying a "film" camera. Back in the day we used a Yashica-Mat and then progressed(?) to a Canon AE-1.
I don't want to spend too much in case the effect of "old-stuff" wears off. Can anyone recommend one that is suitable for an old codger? I have quite a few of the Pentax Takumar lenses, so should I buy a Pentax?
I'd love a Nikon FM but ... too expensive?
Thanks in anticipation.

The issue with film is the cost of film and the cost of developing. It soon starts to add up. I would buy the cheapest camera to start off to see if it is something you want to invest in.

As you have a collection of M42 lenses, then it would make sense to get an M42 body. I suppose the Pentax Spotmatic F would be a good choice, especially if you have the versions of the Pentax lenses compatible with open aperture metering, and the F can use modern silver oxide batteries with a different voltage to the mercury original without throwing the meter off. Other M42 lenses may only do stop-down metering, or in some cases open aperture when paired with a compatible body from the same manufacturer - there wasn't a standard way of doing this:

If you get a bayonet mount body, you might want to choose something with a shorter flange focal distance than M42, so that you can use a simple adapter without glass (but you'll be stuck with stop down metering unless you also collect bayonet mount lenses!):

Canon EOS and Canon FD (manual focus) ought to work. With Nikon, you'll have to use an adapter with glass, as with your dSLR.

If you're not bothered about M42 compatibility, then you have much more choice. And if you go with Nikon, you'll have some at least some compatibility with your dSLRs (though Nikon compatibility is a bit of a minefield). The late AF (F65, F75, F80, F100, F5, F6) models are the most compatible with what you have. Earlier AF cameras (and manual focus cameras) will only be properly compatible with your AF lenses if they have aperture rings. If you start to buy manual focus Nikon lenses, AI lenses made from the late 70s onwards will fit your D7000 and D60, but only meter with the D7000. Earlier pre-AI lenses aren't compatible. If you bought that FM, you could use both AI and pre-AI lenses on it (the later FM2 is AI only), and share the AI lenses with the D7000.

Depends on budget and what type of camera. At one end you have a 100yo Box Brownie which is fun to use but not the best image quality!!! Or A Nikon F80 which is basically works like a DSLR without the obvious. Or something in between. Personally I am not a fan of the modern film cameras, prefer the old manual way of doing it. Zorki for example are under £50 and a poor mans Leica. or something fun like an Olympus trip... but as has been mentioned, film and processing is where the cost is!

and then progressed(?) to a Canon AE-1.

I'd love a Nikon FM but ... too expensive?...............

evening

I was going to trade a Canon AE-1 + 50mm 1.8 with LCE. for a D300.. I had one reply - but nothing since

so, I am going to sell them here ASAP
haven't got round to it yet - been in and out of hospital with eye tests........:(

a Canon AE-1 + 50mm1.8 - both near mint
a Nikon F80 body in vgc
a Nikon F3 ...this is a jewel . near mint with brown leather custom 1/2 case, CANPIS brown leather strap with a Nikon series 'E' 50mm 1.8

if you are interested in any of the 3 - I'll add them to Classifieds

I'd be interested in the F3...

The issue with film is the cost of film and the cost of developing. It soon starts to add up. I would buy the cheapest camera to start off to see if it is something you want to invest in.

This is so true. Cheaper if you can do your own developing but even the film itself is expensive and options seem to be dwindling by the day. The actual cost of the camera can be a really small part of the equation.

OM1's can still be bought fairly cheaply and there isn't much to go wrong on them. The 50mm 1.8 and zooms are cheap enough though other lenses are getting pricey these days.

Or there is still a lot to be said for an Olympus Trip 35, Loads around so even an immaculate one isn't too expensive.

Pentax ME Super :) 1st camera I ever owned

Les

I'd be interested in the F3.............

OK I'll work up some prices and pictures and post in Classifieds today .......I'll let you know when I do............ (y)

Looks like I've missed an offer. Never mind................

what that comment directed to me,........?

if so, I apologise -a bit unsure of the RULES and I thought all stuff for Sale had to be posted in ''Classifieds''

AZ6 did express an interest yesterday - @Admin..should I offer to @mossienet first in this thread ( dont want to upset the apple cart.)

One of the hashtags I see on Instagram quite a lot is #staybrokeshootfilm so I guess there’s quite a few people that feel the same way :LOL:

I don’t really spend a lot of money on myself in general, but film is one of the things I treat myself to. I’m all for a bargain too, I like cheap film but I love expensive film :LOL: Buying it in bulk saves a little money regarding delivery etc, and I save up a few films before sending them to be developed which saves on postage and packaging etc :)

I used to have some Praktica cameras that were M42 mount and worked well and even had TTL metering; they also go for pennies too, same goes for Zeniths. I downsized my kit last year because it was taking up too much room and never got used, it’s a shame as I sold some M42 cameras for practically the price of postage that you could have had!

what that comment directed to me,........?

if so, I apologise -a bit unsure of the RULES and I thought all stuff for Sale had to be posted in ''Classifieds''

AZ6 did express an interest yesterday - @Admin..should I offer to @mossienet first in this thread ( dont want to upset the apple cart.)
It's absolutely fine, no problem with me at all. If and when I do get one, it'll be a steady ONE roll of 36 a month, some sort of project to get me thinking about what to shoot.

You can buy complete kits now to process your films at home and in the long run as long as you have a scanner that can scan negatives, its cheap and fun to do.

I'd be interested in the F3...

sorry for the delay - laid up over the weekend with asthma ....better now so will post pics etc tomorrow......... (y)

sorry for the delay - laid up over the weekend with asthma ....better now so will post pics etc tomorrow......... (y)
No worries. I'm always after adding to my F collection; I want to have the full set (F to F5; not that interested in the F6 tbh). Only have the F4 and 5 so far, so need the F3, F2 and an F.

Bloody hell. My fridge hasn't looked like that since I was :LOL: a student!

lucky you.... (y)
I did pretty well with an F4, as I bought one with a bunch of other stuff which sold well to leave me with an F4 for a really good price. The F5 I actually bought when I was still shooting film, so that cost me quite a bit. Got a nice F100 off here for a good price, and a Canon EOS 1 for a steal. It's only now the F3 which is the 'expensive' one of the ones I want to complete the F collection; the F and F2 are relatively 'cheap'. I intend to use all cams though, so although I am buying them to 'collect', they won't just sit in a display case.

.............I intend to use all cams though, so although I am buying them to 'collect', they won't just sit in a display case......

GOOD - my thoughts entirely - I still use my Canon A1 (and split-cane fly rods ---a luddite.. :) )

GOOD - my thoughts entirely - I still use my Canon A1 (and split-cane fly rods ---a luddite.. :) )

Hmm. Nikon F2 and FM in my case. I have used split cane fly rods, and still prefer double barrelled shotguns (side by side, not over and unders) to semi-autos. Must admit to a fondness for hammer guns too! :D

I think once I have the Nikon F series, I may well move on to acquiring such cams as a Canon A1, as well as things like a Nikon FA, Canon T90 maybe, Canon F1, Pentax LX?

, and still prefer double barrelled shotguns (side by side, not over and unders) to semi-autos..................

20 years in BC Canada - used a Winchester pump for ducks on the salt marches but a lovely Browning Citori for upland willow grouse (it never went near salt water)

Back