Back to Basics..

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Following from the thread below, I ordered the first stool in the like and wanted to try it out, so used a shoot through umbrella to camera right and one point at the black background.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/seating-stool.647262/#post-7730464

I am happy with these with the only exception being the light on the background should have been a bit higher, any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve/light or what I may have done wrong greatly appreciated:

_DSC4804 by SEP9001, on Flickr

_DSC4833 by SEP9001, on Flickr

_DSC4842 by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Kev

A nice set, my only observation for any meaningful critique is the hot spots. That might be me, as I have viewed many images where others seem to think it's the norm, I cringe when they appear prominently in my own shots, but like I say it might be my personal taste.

Regards

Tim

Last edited:
I like these, but would prefer the head to not be chopped in 1 & 3

Thank you Tim and Rick,

Tim when you say hot spots do you mean on the nose and cheeks?

Rick, both had the head in but for some reason I cropped both and I liked them that way, will try and post the uncropped versions.

Thanks

Kev

Hey Kev, lighting looks nice to me. I don't really see any glaringly obvious hot spots. @Phrasemaker do you mean the light on the cheeks and nose?

Background is nice too. Don't really get what the coat is all about unless you're just too tight to have the heating on at home?! :D

Nice images.
IMO, the key light is a bit small/far... I would move it closer. And if you are going to create a BG gradient you generally want the light part behind the darker subject side (and vice-versa)... that helps create better BG separation.

Hey Kev, lighting looks nice to me. I don't really see any glaringly obvious hot spots. @Phrasemaker do you mean the light on the cheeks and nose?

Background is nice too. Don't really get what the coat is all about unless you're just too tight to have the heating on at home?! :D

LOL, David Thanks.

Getting bit tight after spending the money on a D750... No we were off to their swimming lesson so they had their coats on, and just took a few pictures as a test run.

Thanks

Kev

Nice images.
IMO, the key light is a bit small/far... I would move it closer. And if you are going to create a BG gradient you generally want the light part behind the darker subject side (and vice-versa)... that helps create better BG separation.

Thanks Steven,

Do you mean as in No 1, with the background light?

And moving the main light closer, is that due to under exposure or the more dark parts of the photos?

As he was sitting on the rotating stool he did not sit still and I was being lazy as I could not find my other speed light holder to mount it on the light stand.

Thanks
Kev

Tim when you say hot spots do you mean on the nose and cheeks?

Rick, both had the head in but for some reason I cropped both and I liked them that way, will try and post the uncropped versions.

Thanks

Kev

Yes Kev, but like I say it might be my personal taste as others seem perfectly happy to have them prominent in their images. I try to keep them minimal personally, but what do I know lol

Yes Kev, but like I say it might be my personal taste as others seem perfectly happy to have them prominent in their images. I try to keep them minimal personally, but what do I know lol

Tim,

Thanks, will check it out when I am on the PC.

I see no issue re lighting… very personal I guess…
but I don't understand the jacket that, IMHO, doesn't
contribute positively to the visual quality… just me!

I see no issue re lighting… very personal I guess…
but I don't understand the jacket that, IMHO, doesn't
contribute positively to the visual quality… just me!

Yes, agree about the jacket. We were heading out and this was a quick shot.

Thank you

Thanks Steven,

Do you mean as in No 1, with the background light?

And moving the main light closer, is that due to under exposure or the more dark parts of the photos?

As he was sitting on the rotating stool he did not sit still and I was being lazy as I could not find my other speed light holder to mount it on the light stand.

Thanks
Kev
I did a quick edit to give you an idea; it's not a big deal, at least not with these images... more of a refinement.

Re. moving the umbrella closer, there are two factors that are relevant. There is the size of the modifier where larger provides more even ("softer") light filling in shadows and reducing hot areas. And there is distance which controls how far back it is lit (falloff). And these are not really interchangeable. The suggestion to try moving it closer is to provide more even lighting... the negative is that the areas farther back will be even darker. But that can be offset somewhat by increasing the ambient exposure. The general ROT is to use a modifier no farther away than it's size... i.e. a 60cm umbrella from 60cm. And usually even closer is beneficial. Of course you can use greater distances, but it quickly negates the benefits of using a modifier in the first place.

Untitled-1.jpg

I did a quick edit to give you an idea; it's not a big deal, at least not with these images... more of a refinement.

Re. moving the umbrella closer, there are two factors that are relevant. There is the size of the modifier where larger provides more even ("softer") light filling in shadows and reducing hot areas. And there is distance which controls how far back it is lit (falloff). And these are not really interchangeable. The suggestion to try moving it closer is to provide more even lighting... the negative is that the areas farther back will be even darker. But that can be offset somewhat by increasing the ambient exposure. The general ROT is to use a modifier no farther away than it's size... i.e. a 60cm umbrella from 60cm. And usually even closer is beneficial. Of course you can use greater distances, but it quickly negates the benefits of using a modifier in the first place.

View attachment 96571
Wow, thanks for the edit and additional information.

First one is definitely the pick Kev. Really good tones throughout, sure those tweaks above will help but great job overall.

Really love the skin tones in these, Its that look i'm trying to get but alludes me... Did you do alot in PP? No 1 is my favourite.

I get what you mean about the kids, I normally get mine to hand around for 10 pictures max before they are back to playing upstairs.

First one is definitely the pick Kev. Really good tones throughout, sure those tweaks above will help but great job overall.

Thanks, yes agree the back light needs to be a bit higher.

Really love the skin tones in these, Its that look i'm trying to get but alludes me... Did you do alot in PP? No 1 is my favourite.

I get what you mean about the kids, I normally get mine to hand around for 10 pictures max before they are back to playing upstairs.

Thanks, these must be the very first set that I have not had to put up the exposure or do a lot of pp.

All I did was a bit of cropping, a little uplift in the shadow and LR sharpening/masking as the files were in RAW.

I just used a shoot through umbrella for the main light, normally I use my studio light as it was a quick test I just used the speed light at 1/4 power.

Also agree about kids they have to be in the right mood, what I found works is put the camera on the tripod and let them take a few pictures of me.

Thanks for the comments.

Kev, just a quick question if I may ... the background light, did you mean fir it to be a spot effect or were you after a gradient? I ask, because if it was meant a spot/halo type effect you achieved that, notwithstanding your own comments about position.

As for hotspots, not really much of an issue as far as I'm concerned, you have to have high and low tones in images, it is the range of those tones and how we control and use them that defines our own styles I guess. fwiw I really like these and even the crops don't really bother me that much, but I do agree with Daniel re the jacket ;)

Kev, just a quick question if I may ... the background light, did you mean fir it to be a spot effect or were you after a gradient? I ask, because if it was meant a spot/halo type effect you achieved that, notwithstanding your own comments about position.

As for hotspots, not really much of an issue as far as I'm concerned, you have to have high and low tones in images, it is the range of those tones and how we control and use them that defines our own styles I guess. fwiw I really like these and even the crops don't really bother me that much, but I do agree with Daniel re the jacket ;)
Paul,

Thanks.

I should have put the flash on a light stand upto his head height, to give a gradient effect. I put it on a small stool instead.

I should have had the effect as shown by Steven on his edited picture.

I agree about the jacket, need to tempt him to do some more without the jackets.

I was just surprised that just using a shoot through umbrella and flash I had results that I liked.

Thank you all for the help on comments.

Hi

Had another go today, this time with the studio lights and using the Nikon 70-210 F4. I wish I had his full hand pointing at his fav team logo:

_DSC4922 by SEP9001, on Flickr

There's always something we see after the fact... I think that there's enough of the hand showing other than repositioning or going 3/4 I think it would be hard to find a good/better crop.

Liking that last one Kev, agree with Steven about the hand, it gets the message over :) Cracking smile too.

Thank you both for the comments and help over the way.

Back