Back to front film ( No not reversal LOL!!)

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
As my head is somewhat in the clouds atm, I've managed to make a wonderful schoolboy error whilst loading film holders.:banghead:

We all know that the emulsion side of film is supposed to face the lens but will having the shiny side of the film facing the lens instead have a negative ( punn intended!) impact on the resulting image?

I've got to the 6th DDS out of 8 that I'm reloading then realised my error.:crying:

Can I still shoot the film in a "back to front" state without issues or do I need to unload and reload them?

Unload and reload, the back of the film is coated, so yes a very definite negative impact.....

In crap news, the patent for toilet paper clearly shows that it comes over the front edge of the roll - towards the user. Thus showing that the direction of all rolls is important (especially films - "anti halation" rings a bell as to what the coating is on the shiny side.)

As my head is somewhat in the clouds atm, I've managed to make a wonderful schoolboy error whilst loading film holders.:banghead:

We all know that the emulsion side of film is supposed to face the lens but will having the shiny side of the film facing the lens instead have a negative ( punn intended!) impact on the resulting image?

I've got to the 6th DDS out of 8 that I'm reloading then realised my error.:crying:

Can I still shoot the film in a "back to front" state without issues or do I need to unload and reload them?
is it colour or black and white ?

Shoot it anyway. If you get crazy, wacky results, you can lay claim to the Asha Reverse Loading technique and gain international fame on Instagram. :)

Tbh if it was fomapan that I'd loaded then I could be tempted to say s*d it and experiment a bit but seeing as it's Delta!!!!

Oh well I've got 3 holders loaded correctly so more than enough for tomorrow ( Rare that I carry more than two and even more rare that I shoot more than two frames of LF in one outing.)

I'll reload the others when my head returns from the moon!!:LOL:

“Oh yah I was using the film reversal technique before everybody was doing it, seems like you can’t move on insta now without seeing somebody using it. You know I know the guy Asha that came up with it, such an inspiration, I hear he’s an influencer for Kodak now”

I was using the film reversal technique before everybody was doing it,

Just out of curiousity and to save me wasting a sheet of film to find out, what effects does it have on the end result by shooting through the anti-halation layer?

Have you got some results to post?

Sorry, that was my poor attempt at humour, I haven’t done this! Please don’t try :D

You can always tell the emulsion side of film. When you hold it up the notchrs will be at the top right when the emulsion is facing you.
In the day. I would load 24 double dark slides and take extra boxes of film to reload while out on the job, usig a changing bag. It becomes like driving, you hardly ever think about the mechanics of it.

When you hold it up the notchrs will be at the top right when the emulsion is facing you.

That's the whole point, I know how to determine the correct side of the film with the notches but for whatever reason today, something simply didn't register…...until it was too late:banghead:

As it is, I've been lucky in realising the mistake before shooting the film!

It becomes like driving, you hardly ever think about the mechanics of it.

Agreed, but driving a car with ones head in the clouds can only lead to disaster too:police:

In crap news, the patent for toilet paper clearly shows that it comes over the front edge of the roll - towards the user.
As remarks go, this is brewing to be a classic. Could the mods make it a sticky?

Could be worse, Asha. I've loaded 120 the wrong way round and exposed the backing paper in the past

Oh yes been there done that several times!

Often with the RZ67 for some strange reason:thinking:

The fact that I no longer possess it is perhaps not a bad thing! :LOL:

This club, for which I am also a fully paid member, must be huge. I imagine everyone who has owned or does own a 120 compatible camera has done this before.

h'mm must be because a lot of operating manuals are confusing or badly written\translated. ;)

h'mm must be because a lot of operating manuals are confusing or badly written\translated.

In my case, it's generally always a fault between the floor & the shutter button. Or in this case, the floor and the camera back.

h'mm must be because a lot of operating manuals are confusing or badly written\translated. ;)

Nope it's cos the loading procedure was designed by a MAN!!!:exit:

That used to be the response from my ex to everything that didn't operate correctly:LOL:

There is also the fact that many men don't bother to read operating manuals / instruction leaflets until AFTER they encounter a problem!!

in my defense, it was the weird way that the mamiya 645 needs to be loaded that just threw me that day.

Anyone going to admit they put 35mm film in the wrong way round...o_O

MiL managed to jam an APS film in her camera the wrong way round... "I'm sure I didn't have a problem last time so I pushed a bit harder." On the plus side, I did get a pack of 5 35mm films from her when she bought the same thing she'd always got for her camera, forgetting that she'd opted for a new "foolproof" camera.

I will admit to having dropped a fresh film with the leader extended an inch or so for ease of loading. Of course, when I caught it in mid-air, I grabbed the leader and pulled about 18" of the film out.

Back