Back to gigs

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Man I lurve shooting gigs. Great tunes, great girls, great real photos. Someone else does all the lighting and the music directs the people so all I have to do is get the shots right, which is of course tricky with no real lighting and only one lens that can do f/1.8. Still I've decided that I want to do music photography as a career. I'll probably be deaf in 5 years time but hey :) Its good because I know where to focus my lens buying and what equipment I need instead of just buying random lenses. I now know where to focus my main attention and to work on my "style" that I can then market.

CRW_7404-01.jpg

CRW_7427-01.jpg

CRW_7476-01.jpg

CRW_7487-01.jpg

Nice stuff. I wish I had something I wanted to focus on. I guess it's street but if I was deadly serious I probably wouldn't even have a DSLR so there you go.

Got any colour pics from gigs?

Not from last nights as the lighting was very red and I didn't reallly like it. But I have ones like these. I forgot to mention but last night was very cool as I got to meet the manager of the bands who was very interested in the shots (thankyou p2000).

Very nice gritty atmospheric shots.
When you start doing the really big boys and girls you wont find the managers or production people as nice!!!!

Gary Bagshawe said:
Very nice gritty atmospheric shots.
When you start doing the really big boys and girls you wont find the managers or production people as nice!!!!
I'm sure they won't be :) I've got to create a unique look that people will want to buy.

Great photos .... you've managed to capture the atmosphere & energy in the shots. B&W definitely works in this scenario. One assumes in that light level you have to use manual focus ?

DJW said:
Great photos .... you've managed to capture the atmosphere & energy in the shots. B&W definitely works in this scenario. One assumes in that light level you have to use manual focus ?
Thanks :) Auto focus for the most part. Gotta love that 50mm hunting in the dark. "Nearly, nearly, nearly.... oh had you there, nearly....a ha focus... they moved" ;)

You will also have to get the permision from the production people to take the photos in the first place. If they allow you you will have to work very fast as usually at a concert they will allow the first two tracks no flash photography plus you will have to sign a release form telling them what you intend to use the photographs for. You certainly have a style there which is very good and I hope that you will soon get the breaks and start earning some top dosh :)

Gary Bagshawe said:
You will also have to get the permision from the production people to take the photos in the first place. If they allow you you will have to work very fast as usually at a concert they will allow the first two tracks no flash photography plus you will have to sign a release form telling them what you intend to use the photographs for. You certainly have a style there which is very good and I hope that you will soon get the breaks and start earning some top dosh :)
Don't worry about the flash, I'd never use it. It ruins the effect. I've done a few gigs this year and I've never had to contact anyone to take photos. That includes the famous Juliette Lewis from Natural Born Killers. Maybe I've just been lucky, I dunno but everyone has been cool so far. Maybe its because they're only small places.

Very envious!
I'd love to get into this field.
I was a bass player for 25 years and most of the pics took of us were naff.
Hope you don't mind me posting this one of me :icon_cool

emotions7.jpg

I was a bass player for 25 years
15 years here (so far).

[edit] Mon Dieu! You're left handed?!

Actually, so am I - but left handed basses were pretty hard to come by when I started playing (at school), so I had to pass over to the dark side.

I'm one of these reprobates. Taken in 1997.
rest4.gif

I'd kill to get back into gigging. At 30 I'm a bit old for it now... and the pies haven't been kind either. :ponders:

BTW: I like the 3rd pic best. Reminds me of U2's 'Rattle & Hum' video.

Pete...
Just been looking at them again and #3 in your first post is my favourite...that sums it all up for me.

Permission wise, I would imagine venues and their management are more of a problem than the bands...most bands would snatch your hand off.

Do you just turn up, or do you know the bands personally?
I suppose a good way to go about it is to check the band out first and ask if they mind if you tag along on an upcoming gig?

I bet most of them would be up for a private shoot...they get free publicity shots and you get the practice.

No3 is that very elusive animal...... the perfect shot. I've been looking at it for ages and there isn't one thing I'd want to change about it. :icon_cool

Great sepia effect on No6 too.

Bachs said:
Permission wise, I would imagine venues and their management are more of a problem than the bands...most bands would snatch your hand off.

Do you just turn up, or do you know the bands personally?
I suppose a good way to go about it is to check the band out first and ask if they mind if you tag along on an upcoming gig?

I bet most of them would be up for a private shoot...they get free publicity shots and you get the practice.

Yer definetly. So far I've been lucky enough to know one band and the venues they play don't ask any questions about photography. I know there will be more places that are iffy. The plan is to try and find places that allow photography and then just hang out there a lot to get shots and hope I get approached at the gig. If not, then I'll be googling them when I get home to contact them. I'll be offering free shots from the gig for use on their site and hopefully get further paid work from them. At the mo its all about spreading my name about. I wear my monkey hat so I get recognised easily :)

CT said:
No3 is that very elusive animal...... the perfect shot. I've been looking at it for ages and there isn't one thing I'd want to change about it. :icon_cool

Great sepia effect on No6 too.

Thanks :) I'm really pleased with No3. Thankfully the band kept the smoke machine going all night so I had time to get it just right.

Your photo's are top draw! I am new to shooting bands but it is something I would love to get into. Could you offer me any advice on film speeds, camera settings (shutter speeds etc) and whether to use a flash or not? Thanks very much - if I could get one photo that was half as good as the ones you've taken I would be very happy.

Zags said:
Your photo's are top draw! I am new to shooting bands but it is something I would love to get into. Could you offer me any advice on film speeds, camera settings (shutter speeds etc) and whether to use a flash or not? Thanks very much - if I could get one photo that was half as good as the ones you've taken I would be very happy.
Definetly don't use the flash. It kills the atmosphere. The settings I use are ISO800, 1/80 and f/2.8. You have to use full manual mode as the camera will try and compensate for the lack of light.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly - you're a star. I asked about flash coz someone else said that is makes the photo's sharper but I like the feel that yours have.
I will give it a go and let you know how I get on - many thanks again.
Keep up the good work.

Zags said:
... Could you offer me any advice on film speeds, camera settings (shutter speeds etc) and whether to use a flash or not?

Note if you look at exif data for shots all the info is there for you, including use of flash or not :thumb:

Back