Backdrop and flash recommendation

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

Soo after my cousins wedding my cousins mum said she much prefers my pictures to the photographers :D Everyone agrees:D So I have had a flood of requests now to do all sort of shots :D:)

So basically I need a backdrop as I want to take some portrait photos of my family and customers. Now my family and most of my customers are Pakistani so obviously we are dark skinned. Now Im quite dark maybe snickers wrapper dark but my mum and brothers wife are quite light maybe more beige/light brown.

So what backdrop would be more flattering for darker skinned people? I also want one which would be ok for lighter skinned people too :). And where would be the best and cheapest place to get it? Would I need a stand for the backdrop too?

Lastly since doing wedding photography there was some times that I personally felt a flash with a swivel head could have been nice. I would be buying second hand so most likely from the classifieds on here.

So which flash?

My camera is a canon 500d.

Thanks for your help, oh and any tips on portraits would be nice Thanks again(y):)

First.. If they all ready like your work, why change what you are doing

Second: Grey is pretty versatile as a backdrop. If you know how to light, you can pretty much do anything with it, ranging from turning it into anything from white to black, and also use gels to add colour etc.

Your right, I take the more "natural" photos. I leave the pro to do tr main ones and organise. I don't want that hastle as I'd probably through the camera at them. But my mum wants some nice portraits and some natural pictures which you would be less likely to catch in a studio.

I was also thinking does the colour of the backdrop change the seriousness of the picture? Is a blue cloudy one more childish and a black one more moody? I think il get a Gray one and try and sample different colours too.

Also these flashguns aren't cheap even second hand are they :LOL:
First.. If they all ready like your work, why change what you are doing

Second: Grey is pretty versatile as a backdrop. If you know how to light, you can pretty much do anything with it, ranging from turning it into anything from white to black, and also use gels to add colour etc.

Back