Beginner Backgrounds for portrait shots

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me direction as to where everyone gets their backgrounds from. Looking to try out a few portrait shots so trying to get a suitable background.

Thanks

99.9% of all my ‘portraits’ are shot without setting up any backdrops, I’d suggest you concentrate on:
  • Engagement with the subject
  • Posing and camera position
  • Lighting
Then you’ll be ready for setting things up with backdrops.

I've used everything from rolls of backdrop paper (from Wex, used in a studio), to various colours of bedsheets, ironed and hung behind my subject :)
+ backlit showercurtain, 180cm umbrella with diffuser or simply making ambient go black, sometimes using HSS.

What size do you need. Usual background rolls are 2.72m wide by 11m long for studio use. I use to use white, black, green and blue (the last two are easier for keying/masking) as the studio was used for video also. These are quite big for home use, then you need something to support them.

I used to use the Colourama rolls

Do you want backgrounds with images on? like these: http://www.creativitybackgrounds.co.uk/

Plenty to google.

For home use, some good thick dark material works well, as does good bright white cotton sheets of a good quality. Make sure they are ironed as it's amazing how the creases can show sometimes and it saves fixing in post.
I've used a £6 simple shower curtain before, hung over a curtain pole to patio doors. I didn't need to use extra light as it was a bright day, but tape on the doors in the right place made it look like a window.

For smaller things, like dogs etc, I've got away with 1m paper rolls from Range. Very cheap, they have a multitude of colours and the black is very black, the white is bright white but you've tight framing (or sort in post)

Last edited:
Back