Wild Backlit Juvenile and the male in soft light

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
A couple from tonight after trying for weeks to get the owl just before sunset ,these are natural perches that are knocking around the territory of the birds , I have a few nearly shots but the last couple of nights they are landing were I have set up my hide ,not perfect so the project will continue ,the juvenile was taken aprox 15 mins just before the sun had dipped and the male in soft light is when the sun had dipped with the last rays sneaking through Backlit juvenille by dennis greenwood, on FlickrMale little owl by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another couple of beauties, Den...love the pose on #2. Looking at these on Flickr, when enlarged, the sheer amount of detail you have brought out of the file is very good indeed, you can see every filament of every feather.

Excellent processing, matey...

You thought you had an eye on them… but they had two on YOU!

Well done!

I think ```he's got an eye on you..but
superlative work as always
you're a lucky boy..
but all that ground work has paid off

Den I guess you know with out me spelling it out,how I think about your owl images and the time and effort that goes in to them, all kudos ,nuff said. So as a learner to a more experienced guy I feel you are questing for something here could you explain what you are after,please. For me, the images are near perfect but I really feel you are after more.. So what I'm questing for is an education in what exactly that is?

Best of luck with it Den,push harder if that is possible,words of encouragement bro nowt more

Stu

Den I guess you know with out me spelling it out,how I think about your owl images and the time and effort that goes in to them, all kudos ,nuff said. So as a learner to a more experienced guy I feel you are questing for something here could you explain what you are after,please. For me, the images are near perfect but I really feel you are after more.. So what I'm questing for is an education in what exactly that is?

Best of luck with it Den,push harder if that is possible,words of encouragement bro nowt more

Stu
Hi Stuart ,to put it simply ,to go for a backlit shot turns a simple shot in to a stunning shot,(imho)........ to date I don't feel I have achieved the stunning shot yet ,I need the bird ,the perch and the time of day to all fall into place ,don't bother me to much if I doesn't fall in to place as I will continue to try and evolve with my photography in the only I way I know how as a amateur, as watching the little owl comes first the pictures are a bonus that I am lucky enough to get and share with all those that are interested

Hi Stuart ,to put it simply ,to go for a backlit shot turns a simple shot in to a stunning shot,(imho)........ to date I don't feel I have achieved the stunning shot yet ,I need the bird ,the perch and the time of day to all fall into place ,don't bother me to much if I doesn't fall in to place as I will continue to try and evolve with my photography in the only I way I know how as a amateur, as watching the little owl comes first the pictures are a bonus that I am lucky enough to get and share with all those that are interested

Thanks for this Den ,call me Stu buddy,everyone does:). Den amateur or other ,you take some wonderful images!! Can you give me any tips for the mechanics,ie exposure compensation,things like that for a back lit image,it's something I struggle with a bit. I agree with your sentiments about how beautiful to the eye a well executed back lit image can be,it's wonderful being able to watch you chase your goals Den,all the luck in the world with your quests. If these things were easy the chase wouldn't be so much fun. As you so rightly say, though being in the presence of these wonderful birds well, any facet of nature really, brings huge rewards,good for the soul mate...it isn't all just about the pic,well not for me anyway and obviously not for you

take care

Stu

Thanks for this Den ,call me Stu buddy,everyone does:). Den amateur or other ,you take some wonderful images!! Can you give me any tips for the mechanics,ie exposure compensation,things like that for a back lit image,it's something I struggle with a bit. I agree with your sentiments about how beautiful to the eye a well executed back lit image can be,it's wonderful being able to watch you chase your goals Den,all the luck in the world with your quests. If these things were easy the chase wouldn't be so much fun. As you so rightly say, though being in the presence of these wonderful birds well, any facet of nature really, brings huge rewards,good for the soul mate...it isn't all just about the pic,well not for me anyway and obviously not for you

take care

Stu
I am still in the early stages with the backlit shots ,at the moment I am trying for the shots between 6.15 pm and 6.45pm the birds are not guaranteed to land exactly were I want them ,a example is last night ,the bird came in early and the light was still a tad harsh behind him ,I had to overexpose by a stop to get some detail in the face but the effect was not good ,now if he landed in the same spot some 10 mins laster as the sun was just about to dip I could have underexposed and got a lovely golden rim around the bird ,I just keep experimenting but as the nights go on so the sunsets earlier but its fun trying

Absolutely incredible shots. I've been on the owl hunt for the past month with not the greatest outcome. got a few Tawny owls, and my mate caught a barn owl perched in a tree at 8am. apart from that, nothing.

what lens have you used for these? I'd love to tag along sometime, if you wouldn't mind?

Absolutely incredible shots. I've been on the owl hunt for the past month with not the greatest outcome. got a few Tawny owls, and my mate caught a barn owl perched in a tree at 8am. apart from that, nothing.

what lens have you used for these? I'd love to tag along sometime, if you wouldn't mind?
canon 300mm F4 , I have three active sites at the moment all within a 3 mile radius ,all are on private land ,I have invited a few TP members in the past

Last edited:
where are you located? I'd be very tempted to come along for the experience if that's ok?

undisclosed locations but I live in the Rossendale valley ,activity is now limited due to breeding season well and truly finished ,I get my shots as I am not far from all the sites

Back