Wild Backlit tawny owl and Barn owl

#2 for me Den, super crisp and sharp!

Reactions: den

#2 for me Den, super crisp and sharp!
Manual focus with a 400mm 5.6 with the barn owl shot Daniel,first shot was a chance meeting as I knew of the tawny owl and a rough idea were it liked to sunbathe when the sun was out ,the group of trees were it frequented was separated by a busy dual carriage way ,getting the shot was pretty easy as I used the sound of the cars passing to manoeuvre in to position to get the shot slowly but surely ,handheld with the 400mm 5.6 ,I didn't risk getting any closer as not to disturb him as I knew quite well that he was aware of my presence , Thanks for taking time to comment

Morning Den

Yep, #2 is the winner, but I am sure you will get better shots of #1

Nice to see the Tawny Owl and good detail showing ... Barn Owl is my favourite though (as always!) :)

Loving them both.

The tawny would have been superb but for the branch behind its head.

Still I am jealous !

2 inspirational shots.

I'm with most of the other the barn owl is my favourite (mainly because they are my favourite owl.

I'm hoping I may get some decent birds of prey shots in a few weeks

superb as usual den

Ey up, Den...agree with the above comments, both are very good images, but I really like #2

On a PP note, is there a reason why you don't do any noise reduction on the bird when processing an image?, it looks like you deselect the bird and only reduce the noise on the background to preserve feather detail?

Please don't think I'm having a " Dig " because I'm not, I'm just curious as I have noticed this on just about all your shots, but with me being a new member I put off asking the question.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but with the number of people getting banned I hope I'm allowed to ask the question in the first place :)

Like these shots a lot, den. Especially the Tawny. Both great captures. Makes a difference to your usual little owl shots :)

Ey up, Den...agree with the above comments, both are very good images, but I really like #2

On a PP note, is there a reason why you don't do any noise reduction on the bird when processing an image?, it looks like you deselect the bird and only reduce the noise on the background to preserve feather detail?

Please don't think I'm having a " Dig " because I'm not, I'm just curious as I have noticed this on just about all your shots, but with me being a new member I put off asking the question.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but with the number of people getting banned I hope I'm allowed to ask the question in the first place :)
No problem with the question, no major reason to be honest ,I do print a lot of my images and I also sell a few and I find that keeping as much detail in the subject and just selecting background works for me when I see the final print ,its just a habit that is now part of my workflow and while the technology is available may as well use it ,as said no real reason just a habit as I some of my images don't always need it ......thanks for taking time to look and comment

Thanks for the reply, Den...that makes sense if you are printing them, nothing worse than having 2 types of workflow ( Web and Print ) I have been there and it becomes a real chore after a while.

The only thing I don't do here that I do when I finalise for print is add a touch of brightness

I used to do a lot of printing ( don't do any now ) and I did exactly the same re adding a touch of brightness, as I could never get the old monitor / printer calibrated correctly and my prints always came out a touch darker than I would have liked.

Morning Den,

I'm amazed that you are achieving all these shots Den with a 400mm f5.6 .......... you must have the ability to get near your subjects without being too obvious ....... great fieldcraft!

I assumed looking at your owl and other shots that you must be using the 400mm f2.8 or the 500mm f4

Last edited:
Back