Backpack suggestion for air travels

Edit My Images
Yes
Its been roughly 5 years since we've gone out as a family on holiday thanks to the pandemic and some "family matters"
And AFAIK airline allowance for carryon wasn't as bad as it is now. In fact now they seem to have two categories i.e. "carryon" and an even smaller "personal item".
The worst one being Wizz air that allows 40x30x20cm only (very easy to remember and super anal) for what they classify as "personal item".
No prizes for proving me wrong by finding an even worst airliner :p

I did some google searches and it seems my Peak design everyday backpack Zip 20L (47x29x20cm) is unlikely to cause problems even though its slightly longer.
So I will try my luck with this bag. I need at least one more backpack (for the missus) and I rather not buy the same one even though I was initially consider 15L version of PD zip.
Are there any other backpacks that people may have used that fits most airliners' dimensions without casing much issues.

Requirement - removable inserts or ICU so that the bag can be used like a normal bag too.
And the other usual ones like - as big as possible, as light as possible, as comfortable as possible etc.... but nothing too specific

Depending on where your going, military / military style bags may be worth avoiding.

I’ve recently taken a Wandrd Pryvke 31 on Jet2, Ryanair and EasyJet with zero issues
Thank you for the suggestion, this one looks really good.
Can I ask if you filled the bag to the brim or did you roll the top as far down as you could to fit airline guidelines.
But 31L is really nice, 50% more space than the PD zip 20l. And very easy to use as a normal bag too

Edit:
And wow, Ryan air is even worst than wizz air 40x25x20 :facepalm:

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion, this one looks really good.
Can I ask if you filled the bag to the brim or did you roll the top as far down as you could to fit airline guidelines.
But 31L is really nice, 50% more space than the PD zip 20l. And very easy to use as a normal bag too

Edit:
And wow, Ryan air is even worst than wizz air 40x25x20 :facepalm:
Ah sorry I meant as cabin bag not the small item. Almost unrolled right to the top, they don’t even look if it’s on your back. The thing is like a tardis, I love it.

Ah sorry I meant as cabin bag not the small item. Almost unrolled right to the top, they don’t even look if it’s on your back. The thing is like a tardis, I love it.
Ah ok that's no worries. They even have a smaller version which still seems to have a lot of space.

Reminds me of the f-stop kenti I had for a long time which had the roll top. Unfortunately converting it to a normal bag was not as easy. This is really much nicer. (y)

Ah ok that's no worries. They even have a smaller version which still seems to have a lot of space.

Reminds me of the f-stop kenti I had for a long time which had the roll top. Unfortunately converting it to a normal bag was not as easy. This is really much nicer. (y)
Yeah I just remove the cube if using it for non camera stuff, still looks like new after 4 years.

I bought this:
It’s tiny, I feel totally comfortable that its ’handbag size’ can be used either as a backpack or sling, but it fits ff mirrorless camera w lens and 2 or 3 other lenses. For travel I have 17-35, 50, 85 and a speedlight.

Don’t buy the mk2 though, I was about to buy the mk1 and thought ‘ooh it’s been updated’ but the only ‘improvement’ is a built in charger cable and it’s a waste of resource I’ll likely never use it.

You could empty it to use as a small backpack, but that’s something I’d have no use for.

I usually use lowepro, had a dalliance with crumpler and this is the first ‘no brand’ bag I’ve owned, and I feel it’s no worse than anything else I’ve had. Absolute game changer for me.

Its been roughly 5 years since we've gone out as a family on holiday thanks to the pandemic and some "family matters"
And AFAIK airline allowance for carryon wasn't as bad as it is now. In fact now they seem to have two categories i.e. "carryon" and an even smaller "personal item".
The worst one being Wizz air that allows 40x30x20cm only (very easy to remember and super anal) for what they classify as "personal item".
No prizes for proving me wrong by finding an even worst airliner :p

I did some google searches and it seems my Peak design everyday backpack Zip 20L (47x29x20cm) is unlikely to cause problems even though its slightly longer.
So I will try my luck with this bag. I need at least one more backpack (for the missus) and I rather not buy the same one even though I was initially consider 15L version of PD zip.
Are there any other backpacks that people may have used that fits most airliners' dimensions without casing much issues.

Requirement - removable inserts or ICU so that the bag can be used like a normal bag too.
And the other usual ones like - as big as possible, as light as possible, as comfortable as possible etc.... but nothing too specific
I have one for sale in the classifieds if. you are interested

I have travelled loads over the years, last year I did 12 flights for example. Mainly Ryanair. Unless your bag looks OTT I have not seen them check it.

I just looked for carry on rucksack on Amazon and loads. This is my normal camera carry on bag - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Ta...d=35b8ee608a5c39519a36e60620c7a2c9&th=1&psc=1

Good for cameras, and unless you cram it full to the brim, most of this will squash down if needed and both these are for the handbag style bags

Last edited:
I fly scheduled airlines mostly (majority BA, Lufthansa and Eurowings otherwise), only use Easyjet if no other option - plus living within touching distance from LHR means going to Gatwick, Luton or Stansted adds too much travelling time.

Which means my bus of choice is A320 series. Plenty of room for my Tenba Solstice 24L or my massive Lowepro 650AW in the overhead lockers, plus some allowance for additional carry one (ie laptop case)...

I’m troubled by how many of these ‘knowledgable’ suggestions haven’t read the question.
The OP isn’t looking for carry on sized luggage, he’s looking for something that fits the handbag / briefcase criteria.
In fact now they seem to have two categories i.e. "carryon" and an even smaller "personal item".

This question? "Are there any other backpacks that people may have used that fits most airliners' dimensions without casing much issues. " I don't consider a backpack to be comparable to handbag/briefcase... when I fly without my kit I take a Jack Wolfskin backpack (that would accomodate a 15" laptop) and can guarantee the zipper will be bursting with camera, clothes, ipad, duty-free, tablets etc etc which would dwarf any handbag or briefcase which could easily go on the floor under the seat in front.

This question? "Are there any other backpacks that people may have used that fits most airliners' dimensions without casing much issues. " I don't consider a backpack to be comparable to handbag/briefcase... when I fly without my kit I take a Jack Wolfskin backpack (that would accomodate a 15" laptop) and can guarantee the zipper will be bursting with camera, clothes, ipad, duty-free, tablets etc etc which would dwarf any handbag or briefcase which could easily go on the floor under the seat in front.
Have another look at the earlier part of the question as I linked above :)

He’s looking for something that fits into the ‘personal item’ description not the carry on luggage.

Last edited:
In the running for 'worst carry-on size', Logan Air is 40x35x18, max 6 kg.
(though it looked like a number of the other passengers didn't appear to worry about it, and I didn't spot anyone getting called out for oversized carry on).

I've had my camera bag weighed (Tui - who suggested that I stick a lens or 2 into a pocket while the bag was weighed!) and measured (EasyJet - bag fitted the cage), so it does happen!

Just measured it, 47x30x20 for the 31L, so the next one down would be perfect.

Be aware that since many bags are quite pliant, you can make them be 'too large' simply in the manner in which you pack it...creating a bulge which will not allow the bag to easily pass thru the bars of the frame which is used to pass/fail a carryon, often found at the gate area. The feet on a bag might pass the frame if you lower your bag an an angle, but they will not permit such maneuvering!

I just consulted a table of size limitations, and the most restrictive in the list is 17.7” x 14.1” x 7.8” (39.6 linear inches) or 45cm x 36.6cm x 19.8cm, but Wizz was not listed in this specific table.

The most restrictive 'personal bag' was Aer Lingus at 13" x 10" x 8"

Last edited:
I bought this:
It’s tiny, I feel totally comfortable that its ’handbag size’ can be used either as a backpack or sling, but it fits ff mirrorless camera w lens and 2 or 3 other lenses. For travel I have 17-35, 50, 85 and a speedlight.

Don’t buy the mk2 though, I was about to buy the mk1 and thought ‘ooh it’s been updated’ but the only ‘improvement’ is a built in charger cable and it’s a waste of resource I’ll likely never use it.

You could empty it to use as a small backpack, but that’s something I’d have no use for.

I usually use lowepro, had a dalliance with crumpler and this is the first ‘no brand’ bag I’ve owned, and I feel it’s no worse than anything else I’ve had. Absolute game changer for me.
thanks, a bit smaller than I'd like but makes for a decent day bag. Actually really nice for my son.
Don't mind "no brand" bags as long as they get the job done

Have another look at the earlier part of the question as I linked above :)

He’s looking for something that fits into the ‘personal item’ description not the carry on luggage.

Thank you for bringing us back on topic :)

Last edited:
I fly scheduled airlines mostly (majority BA, Lufthansa and Eurowings otherwise), only use Easyjet if no other option - plus living within touching distance from LHR means going to Gatwick, Luton or Stansted adds too much travelling time.

Which means my bus of choice is A320 series. Plenty of room for my Tenba Solstice 24L or my massive Lowepro 650AW in the overhead lockers, plus some allowance for additional carry one (ie laptop case)...
I have flown with those kind of airlines many times in last few years for various reasons and they have a fairly generous allowance. So it's never a problem with those kind of airlines.
if I was flying such an airline I wouldn't even need to source a new bag.

its the budget airline that have very stingy allowance and are trying to charge for breathing on their planes

Just measured it, 47x30x20 for the 31L, so the next one down would be perfect.
thank you very much for all your help here. I think this is a bag I will get (well 21L version that it).
Along with possibly the one that Phil suggested for my son to carry.

thanks, a bit smaller than I'd like but makes for a decent day bag. Actually really nice for my son.
Don't mind "no brand" bags as long as they get the job done
I think this bag is genuinely miraculous - it looks and feels tiny, yet it holds a FF camera and 3 lenses plus odds and ends, it's bonkers.

I have travelled loads over the years, last year I did 12 flights for example. Mainly Ryanair. Unless your bag looks OTT I have not seen them check it.

I just looked for carry on rucksack on Amazon and loads. This is my normal camera carry on bag - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Ta...d=35b8ee608a5c39519a36e60620c7a2c9&th=1&psc=1

Good for cameras, and unless you cram it full to the brim, most of this will squash down if needed and both these are for the handbag style bags
thanks for the suggestion the missus isn't liking this one :(
She feels its "too camera centric" to be used as her normal day bag.

I use normal rucksacks and pop in an ICU seems to work well for me. Plus I wear jackets or combat trousers with plenty of pockets to store smaller camera gear accessories.
Take a drawstring bag rolled up in my pocket, once I get on the plane I empty my pockets into the drawstring. The policy my be one bag off, however I leave the plane with two bags,..lol
Most of my self booked European holidays we have just used carryon suitcases. Depending on the airline will determine what size rucksack I will use for 'other' items.

When flying I've worn, cargo trousers & a coat with numerous large pockets.
Various lenses, a MFT camera body & all the necessary extras have then fitted into pockets in the coat & cargo trousers, so they didn't count as part of my luggage at all :) I couldn't do this with some of my other camera options.

I’ve not been to Europe or super short flights for years but going across the ocean frequently - no one has any issues with any size bag. I’ve brought pretty large hold alls and similar plus backpacks as hand luggage (plus stuff in the hold as well) and never have any issues at all. That’s with Virgin, American, Airlingus, KLM and air transat. I do recall a trip to Paris a few years bag and the luggage was a joke - and I did get charged extra. It was bitterly a few inches over. But yeah, never had any issues at all going across. Just fyi.

I use normal rucksacks and pop in an ICU seems to work well for me. Plus I wear jackets or combat trousers with plenty of pockets to store smaller camera gear accessories.
Take a drawstring bag rolled up in my pocket, once I get on the plane I empty my pockets into the drawstring. The policy my be one bag off, however I leave the plane with two bags,..lol
Most of my self booked European holidays we have just used carryon suitcases. Depending on the airline will determine what size rucksack I will use for 'other' items.
I have considered this and while it might work for the flight itself wouldn't quite work for me for using it as camera bag while out and around. The main thing missing would be quick access to the gear.

When flying I've worn, cargo trousers & a coat with numerous large pockets.
Various lenses, a MFT camera body & all the necessary extras have then fitted into pockets in the coat & cargo trousers, so they didn't count as part of my luggage at all :) I couldn't do this with some of my other camera options.
I think I only own cargo trousers these days :D
That was my backup now. So I could fill something like the wandrd prvke to the brim and if they complain I take the camera bits out and fill that space with the clothes to make the bag smaller.

I’ve not been to Europe or super short flights for years but going across the ocean frequently - no one has any issues with any size bag. I’ve brought pretty large hold alls and similar plus backpacks as hand luggage (plus stuff in the hold as well) and never have any issues at all. That’s with Virgin, American, Airlingus, KLM and air transat. I do recall a trip to Paris a few years bag and the luggage was a joke - and I did get charged extra. It was bitterly a few inches over. But yeah, never had any issues at all going across. Just fyi.
As mentioned above I have also flown on longer flights many times (Emirates, BA, etc). They have a generous allowance for carryon and as far as I am aware there is no "personal item" and "carryon" distinction that budget airlines make. In fact on many of these airline you can have a carryon plus a separate small bag for laptops or handbag. My wife has a small extra handbag and I carry an extra PD sling. They don't cause an issue for us.

but now we are having to flying on shorter budget airlines which means our bags are no longer small enough for the free "personal item" allowance
Something like a small handbag or PD sling isn't large enough and the carryon bags we use on those larger longer airlines are too large for free "personal item" on budget airlines.

Depending on how much camera equipment you want. Urth back packs are quite good, I have the Arkose and Notite.
Both have very secure removable inserts, they fully zip up as well.
Keep an eye out on eBay for them. I paid less than £60 on eBay for them

Depending on how much camera equipment you want. Urth back packs are quite good, I have the Arkose and Notite.
Both have very secure removable inserts, they fully zip up as well.
Keep an eye out on eBay for them. I paid less than £60 on eBay for them
good question
So far I have two trips booked one with family and one with friends.
With family I have care about my kids stuff also....

With family will be taking A7RV, 20-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4ii, Sony 35mm f1.4 GM (and may be 1.4x TC - not decided)
With friends will be taking A7RV, viltrox 16mm f1.8, 20-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4ii, Sony 35mm f1.4 GM and 1.4x TC. Haven't yet decided if I should also take the samyang 85mm f1.4 ii with me.

I have two more in the planning stage with family. One of them being to Scotland where I'll most likely take the 16mm f1.8 also.

Last edited:
good question
So far I have two trips booked one with family and one with friends.
With family I have care about my kids stuff also....

With family will be taking A7RV, 20-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4ii, Sony 35mm f1.4 GM (and may be 1.4x TC - not decided)
With friends will be taking A7RV, viltrox 16mm f1.8, A7RV 20-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4ii, Sony 35mm f1.4 GM and 1.4x TC. Haven't yet decided if I should also take the samyang 85mm f1.4 ii with me.

I have two more in the planning stage with family. One of them being to Scotland where I'll most likely take the 16mm f1.8 also.
That would not fit in the Arkose, but probably would in the Norite. The only issue is the Norite insert takes up about 80% of the pack when in place, but it is extremmly well made. Zips open from both aides and plenty of dividers.

They both have a good amount of pockets, inc a hidden one at the back and laptop section

53488502269_d8b636d80c_w.jpg53488615775_975cf24ee3_w.jpg

That would not fit in the Arkose, but probably would in the Norite. The only issue is the Norite insert takes up about 80% of the pack when in place, but it is extremmly well made. Zips open from both aides and plenty of dividers.

They both have a good amount of pockets, inc a hidden one at the back and laptop section

View attachment 413004View attachment 413005

Thanks, seems like a very interesting option.
Almost considering swapping the PD everyday bag for this now except this bag is a wee bit taller. I don't much like my PD everyday bag but it is what I have.

I think have a swappable ICU is really what we need.

now I am wondering if I can have one ICU that fits two different bags i.e. something like urth and wandrd.
Will need to look into this more carefully.

Thanks, seems like a very interesting option.
Almost considering swapping the PD everyday bag for this now except this bag is a wee bit taller. I don't much like my PD everyday bag but it is what I have.

I think have a swappable ICU is really what we need.

now I am wondering if I can have one ICU that fits two different bags i.e. something like urth and wandrd.
Will need to look into this more carefully.
I am very tempted to attach some D rings to the Norite insert, that way if needed I could pop a shoulder strap onto it

I am very tempted to attach some D rings to the Norite insert, that way if needed I could pop a shoulder strap onto it
so wandrd essential plus camera cube is about the same size, comes with D rings and cheaper. Might just fit inside the urth bag too.

wandrd - 31.2cm x26.7 cm x 11.6cm
urth - 31cm x 28cm x 13cm

they are about the same heigh but wandrd is less width and depth but not by a huge amount.

i can simply add peak design anchors to the wandrd cube and use it with PD slide.

Last edited:
Back