Backpack / tripod advice

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, i'm looking for a backpack for my DSLR for hiking out in the country and taking landscape shots. I really like the look of the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22l AW but i'm not sure where I would put a full size tripod in it as it doesn't have any external straps or anything (not convinced I want to try stuffing a tripod in the side pockets either).

So is this backpack a good idea or should I be looking for something else? can anyone recommend a compact full height tripod that would fit inside the Lowepro? I'm guessing it would have to be 30cm or less when folded up. I'm confident the rest of my gear will fit ok, so its just the tripod i'm concerned about really.

I guess it depends on what your primary reason for being out in the country is.

Is it to go hiking, with photography as a second? If so then a mini tripod will probably suffice.

If, however, you are going out specifically for the photography then you would likely get very frustrated with a mini tripod after a while. They have their place as a travel accessory but I would not want to use one as my primary tool for landscape photography at dawn/dusk. In this scenario I would be inclined to find a bag that has a proper setup for mounting a tripod.

My friend has the Lowepro Photo hatchback 22l aw and a nice as bag as it is, using it to carry a tripod is a bit limiting. He has managed to put a small travel style tripod which folds up to about 40cm in a side pocket but has had to make something to secure it at the top or it just swings about and falls out.

An alternative is to use an ordinary rucksack and use inserts to contain the camera and lenses. There a lot of camera bag inserts on Amazon and Ebay. A tripod could probably be strapped to the outside fairly easily. It would give you plenty of room for other gear - clothes, food, map.

Dave

I use a Tamrac Anvil Slim 11, plenty big enough for camera and other bits'n'pieces. Its certainly not the largest bag in their range.

If I take my Manfrotto 055 it can be strapped to the outside, but my 3LT Punks Travel Tripod comfortably fits inside along with cameras(2) and lenses (usually about 5)

Certainly comfortable, and have covered 10 miles+ with it.

Back