Backpacks for LF gear

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've posted this here in the higher chances of finding people who know what they're talking about. After a few years of trying not to I need to buy a proper backpack for my LF gear. I've not been impressed with anything I've seen from the usual suspects as the weight and bulk needs the support of a proper backpack.

I've been looking at things like the photobackpacker solution, but it's from America with the associated import PITA. Does anyone have any useful alternatives, or what do you guys use?

PS. it needs to be able to hold a 5x7 camera, not just a 5x4, and preferably with space for walking gear

Chris

Depends how big your camera is and how many lenses you have I guess. I only have a field camera and one lens (although quite heavy) so I can cram it into a fairly small backpack with all the required accessories, film holders, tiny fold up chair (goes in the laptop area) and my Canon 350D which I use as a light meter. I figured that I didn't need to waste money on quick access and focused purely on comfort - ie: trying them out in the shop, not online.

I ended up with a black Kata MiniBee-111 because it is comfortable (has a net thingy to seperate your back from the back of the bag, and straps that mold to your shape, a little bit) and it is compact enough to get around a crowded city with out sending people flying. It's a good bag but is probably too small for what you need, though I do recommend the ultra light range from Kata - sadly they don't miraculously make large format gear light but they do spread the load and leave you free of strains after you take the bag off; also they are fairly tough because they use aluminium to keep their shape. But again, always best to check them out in person.

Last edited:
Thanks Rod, that looks quite interesting

I'm not entirely sure it'll be big enough, I'll have to dig the measuring tapes out. To give you an idea of the volume of gear I'm talking about travelling with, I fill a Billingham 550 to the brim, plus the camera itself and tripod carried separately, and that's with only 4 holders. Realistically I would like to carry double that number, plus a polaroid back as well

I think I'll have to see if theres a stockist near me that holds one and see how big it really is

Chris

I find the vertex 300AW a pretty good bag... It currently has all the kit in my sig bar the 85mm 1.4 in it, as well as light meter, grads and holders x6. Took some poking and jigging of the internals, but it all fits rather well. Sans the digital kit and you have a fair amount of space left for other bits. Can post a picture later if you would like?

Last edited:
That'd be great, cheers. It's the other kit that's going to prove the issue I think as I'm hoping to do some good walks this autumn/winter and I like to be prepared

Back