Backup lens for wildlife

Edit My Images
No
OK I'm looking for a bit of info about what kind of backup you guys use for a wildlife lens?

Story is this.
I've just came back from a tiger safari in India. On the first of fourteen safaris, my Sigma 120-300 lens packed in. The internal focusing element became detached rendering the lens useless.
I had to make do with an old lens I had with a max focal length of 85mm.
What I need to know is what kind of backups you guys use for that situation. I know people say about a second body in case the first one breaks, but the lens??
I was thinking about buying a P900 as a backup but thought i'd get your thoughts first.

Cheers Lee

While i believe after owning one the p900 is good value for what it is i think if i wanted a bridge camera as back up i would look at the ones with a 1inch sensor.

For bridge cameras I'd suggest something like fz1000 or RX10m3 for backup with long zooms and good quality.

P900,nice camera but seems impractical, not very good at the far tele-photo end, plus no RAW support, what about the Sony RX10 series? I just bought the MK1 for £600, same as the FZ-1000 but constant F2.8 and shoots RAW.

I used to carry the Nikon D800 and tele-photo lenses, but since then Ive decided to go down the compact Fuji X Mount and get a few primes to to landscape stuff, but for anything tele-photo I now use the Sony RX-10 MK1.

Depends on how deep your pockets are and what sort of end result you want ,I recently bought a p900 and returned it within two days ,I found the iq to be laughable .it might have been that particular one though .
You don't say what system you use so a answer is always going to be hazy though .there is always micro four thirds systems to look at to the lenses are really cheap compared to the other systems

Depends on how deep your pockets are and what sort of end result you want ,I recently bought a p900 and returned it within two days ,I found the iq to be laughable .it might have been that particular one though .
You don't say what system you use so a answer is always going to be hazy though .there is always micro four thirds systems to look at to the lenses are really cheap compared to the other systems

All agreed on the Nikon P900, you didn't by any chance buy it used from SRS ?

That was my worry for the P900. I know someone who has one and he's told me that it's good for record shots. He was going to loan me the camera so I can see for myself before I bought one.

Budget is an issue. I currently use a Nikon D800 with Sigma 120-300 2.8 plus a 1.4 TC.
I find this gives me the cheapest all round flexibility. 420mm f4 or 300mm f2.8 for low light with the cropability of the D800 gives me that extra bit of reach.

I've started looking at the 1" sensor bridge cameras but would need around the 400mm equivilent lens on it.
Didn't really want to be paying around the £1K mark as it's only going to be a backup.

fz1000 (400mm reach) can be had for a good price these days used. Someone was even thinking of selling their new one over at classifieds.
If you just need a back up lens, I hear the tamron 70-300mm is cheap (used for ~£150-180) but rather sharp. You can use crop mode in your D800 for a bit more reach if you need it.

Sigma is also coming out with a 100-400mm soon for £800. If you can wait, its price may drop/you may be able to find it used cheaper.

How about the nikon 70-300 VR? It's a great lens that I use all the time as a light weight alternative to a big zoom like the 200-500.

The reason I was looking at a bridge camera was so I had a backup camera AND lens rather than just a backup lens.

The kit is to be taken to Africa, Canada, South America and Asia over the coming years so weight is an issue.

This is why i say the P900 is good for what it is,both at full zoom,it does need good light and a steady hand at full zoom.

27070169415_2a3626b209_o.jpg

27070169395_cf6852027a_o.jpg

If the one I had could have achieved that mike I would have kept it ,unfortunately virtually every shot was blurry ,even when tripod mounted and at close range .i do feel it was the particular camera rather than the model though .bought brand new from LCE and taken back with no quibbles .

My backup/pack system is a Nikon1 V2 w/ the 70-300 CX... not really cheap and most definitely a significant compromise, but it can give good results. TBH, I'm not sure I would recommend it... but maybe purchased used.

One of very few good images I've gotten in poor light (it's fine for static subjects)

B&W Warbler
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

But in good light it can pretty consistently do well.

Great Egret
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Last edited:
best in reality to buy a reliable lens you can trust ,there are lots of options but it depends what system your on ,the new generation sigmas take some beating though and the new 100-400 due out soon does look like it ticks all the boxes

sk66's 1 series option isn't a bad one. Add the F-T1 adapter and you can use many F mount lenses on the bodies (although some may not AF - the Tamron 18-270 being an example). Add a 70-300 VR and you have a long reach (300 x 2.7) rig with a lens that can be mounted on your D800 if needed.

... Add the F-T1 adapter and you can use many F mount lenses on the bodies ...
I also have the FT-1... mostly use it to mount the 150mm Macro.
But, the point is to have a backup "system" if it really matters.... a backup lens does no good if it's the camera that fails and vice versa.

Yup, the 1 series would be a spare body and the 70-300 a spare lens while together they're a spare system. Of course, I should have specified that the 70-300 I was suggesting is the FF version rather than the 1 series specific one!

I have one backup body (7D2) and two backup lenses. If the big gun fails then it is down to the 300 F2.8 L IS, if this fails then it is the 100-400 Mk2.

The trouble is that, with this kind of backup, I can't afford to go on Safaris! Doh!
:(

More seriously - I hear good things about the Nikon 300 F4 PF and, having tried one, it is silly small!

Last edited:
Back