Backup software to backup folder to another internal hard drive.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking a bit of software to backup my lightroom folder to another internal hard drive at regular intervals.
But rather than making a complete copy over and over, after the initial first backup i then just want it to backup the newly added or changed files.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

EaseUS has a free backup software with scheduling. It works decently enough.

I use Acronis which is basically the same but a paid version, because it has a few more options for waking a computer for a backup.

Both are very good.

The backup types you are looking for are:
- Incremental (only backup information changed since last backup of any kind)
- Differential (only backup information changed since last FULL backup)

The benefits of Incremental are small backups and quick backup times, at the risk of losing the entire backup chain if you lose 1 incremental backup, versus longer & larger Differential backup which are more robust if you accidently lose one.

Last edited:
Macrium (free).
Acronis, like Andy, one I use effectively and have proven.

I use Acronis which is basically the same but a paid version, because it has a few more options for waking a computer for a backup.

I've used acronis for years and it's never let me down, :plus1:

No reason not to use backup software, there are alternative solutions, be aware that the differences can be subtle. Typically, backup software may archive the data so that it uses less space, downside being you may need the software to retrieve it.

If all you want to do is make a copy then something like https://www.dirsyncpro.org/ DirSynchPro will do a good job of maintaining a single (or, multiple) copy, and can also be used for bi-directional synch.

I use Bvckup 2 (this is not a spelling mistake, it is called Bvckup) which is good enough for me.

https://bvckup2.com/

I can chose what kind of "regular intervals" I want, even different folders at different regular intervals.

My main workflow folders which is where I am doing current projects, are regularly backed up every 30 minutes, as I am working on them most of the times.
My personal folders, where files are opened and updated once in a while, are regularly backed up every 6 hours. (That includes Lightroom catalogue files.)
My archive folders where I park all the finished files, including the actual photos, are manually backed up on command.

Bvckup is really simple to use, it will back up files that have been added or changed, but it lets you have the option of either back up the whole changed file, or only back up part of the changed file. When the set time comes, it would scan the files, see if any have been changed, and if it found any, it then back up only the changed or new files.

Back