Backup to DVD

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I've been going through some of my backup DVD's and found that 2 of them are duff, cant read some of the files :bang:
Luckily I have recently been backing up to external drives too.
I thought that DVD's were supposed to last a long time but these were from june this year.
I have lost a couple of the origanal raws but still have the tiff files so all is not lost,
I now use 2 externals for backup, is it worth backing up to DVD too or was I just unlucky ?
Pete

Pete

If you read some of my other posts you'll find I'm paranoid about losing images. It happened once and I don't intend it to happen again. I have found that it's the non branded cheaper DVD's that tend to give trouble. I now use only reputable branded ones, even my "white label" printable are TDK.

Like you I back up onto external hard drives. , but I also back up onto DVD as well.

Good quality DVD's don't cost that much more than the cheaper alternatives. I did look at using archival gold disks at one stage but I thought that might be taking things to far. (and expensive £1.00 each).

The way I work is to import all the images onto my hard drive. Then burn a DVD. I then edit out all the rubbish and copy the resultant images to the back up drive.

I too worry about my backups failing.

Ive just gone through my DVD's and backed them up again onto a 2nd DVD copy, branded Taiyo Yuden discs (very reliable), and also on an external HD. One of the backup discs will be going off site, so I'll have to be extremely unlucky to lose everything.

Thanks for the good ideas guys :)

I am always filling up the hard drive on the laptop so am normally running on an external drive, good idea about backing up to DVD straight away.

I have googled Taiyo Yuden can you reccomend a supplier, Marcel, apparently there are fakes around.

I,m a bit paranoid about losing photos, its not like the old days when you always had the negatives.
I had a lucky escape recently I knocked my external hard drive over while it was running, it was buggered. Luckily I had just bought a second drive and had backed the files up, I would have been heartbroken as most of my photos were on it although I did have DVD's too.
Pete

SVP....I can heartily recommend them. Theyre not cheap discs, but they are supposed to have really good data retention.

Thanks Marcel
I've registered with them for my Talk Photography discount too :clap:

I purchase my media from APR. They are quick and quite cheap. I use TDK or verbatim discs. I'm yet to have a dud in 5 years of backing up to DVD.

Back