Bacon fat?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a grill in my oven, with a grill pan. I line the grill pan with silver foil that completely covers the pan, I then put the mesh tray bit of the grill on top and carefully seat it so that its seated correctly whlst sitting above within the silver foil. I then fold the sticky up bits of foil down round the outside of the grill tray.
I then proceed to grill bacon occasionally. Washing the metal mesh bit every so often.
Sometimes I decide to take the silver foil out and the amount of bacon fat that now lives below the silver foil is astonishing, how the hell does it get there? Is silver foil permeable to bacon fat or something?!

Gratfeful for any insight on this mysterious matter. Seriously.

I have a grill in my oven, with a grill pan. I line the grill pan with silver foil that completely covers the pan, I then put the mesh tray bit of the grill on top and carefully seat it so that its seated correctly whlst sitting above within the silver foil. I then fold the sticky up bits of foil down round the outside of the grill tray.
I then proceed to grill bacon occasionally. Washing the metal mesh bit every so often.
Sometimes I decide to take the silver foil out and the amount of bacon fat that now lives below the silver foil is astonishing, how the hell does it get there? Is silver foil permeable to bacon fat or something?!

Gratfeful for any insight on this mysterious matter. Seriously.

Yes, I have had the same experience even when using a double layer of foil and being careful to extend the foil to the tray sides and over the edges. (A beef joint wrapped in foil and placed in an oven tray has the same problem).
It is a damned PITA (as is the mess made in the grill compartment by fat splashing all over it).
I just use a griddle pan now and use kitchen roll to absorb bacon fat before serving. Much easier to clean.

I fry bacon in a dry pan. Easy to wipe the fat that renders out of it up or save it for frying mince for chilli etc..

Yes, I have had the same experience even when using a double layer of foil and being careful to extend the foil to the tray sides and over the edges. (A beef joint wrapped in foil and placed in an oven tray has the same problem).
It is a damned PITA (as is the mess made in the grill compartment by fat splashing all over it).
I just use a griddle pan now and use kitchen roll to absorb bacon fat before serving. Much easier to clean.
Ah, a fellow sufferer. How the hell does it do it?! It defies science and logic.

I found a clue on Google. Aluminium is flammable and the thinner it is the greater the chance that it will suffer heat damage under a grill.
Some folks say they only use the foil once then bin it. Probably be as well not bothering and just wash the grill pan everytime (my grill pan is too big to immerse in the sink so that is another pain).
Heavy duty foil is another possibility.
I only found one person who was really pee'd off with the escaping fat and they came up with the idea of putting a couple of slices of bread under the foil in the pan to soak up the fat. They then used the bread to feed the birds. Quite a good idea.

Forman styleee grill thing, cook wipe done.

When you say 'occasionally', 'every so often' and 'sometimes' makes me wonder!

Do the same BUT it all gets thrown out every time...Never any underneath the foil! Thats the point of the foil...Get Catering Foil from costco its much better

I think a griddle pan is the way forward. If I had room to store the b&*$££d.

Then fry it until it's crispy? Best bit!!!

I cut the fat off first :)

Very hard to do with streaky bacon.
Griddle it until it is so crisp that the instant it is touched it shatters into a thousand pieces.

I only found one person who was really pee'd off with the escaping fat and they came up with the idea of putting a couple of slices of bread under the foil in the pan to soak up the fat. They then used the bread to feed the birds. Quite a good idea.

Waste of bread, after using it to absorb the fat it then goes onto the plate next to the bacon and is covered with beans and/or egg. Mmmmmm.

Waste of bread, after using it to absorb the fat it then goes onto the plate next to the bacon and is covered with beans and/or egg. Mmmmmm.

Try frying it for a few mins until it is slightly crispy after it is soaked in fat.........................:rolleyes:

Reactions: Nod
I don't know if it's the best way but it's what I do.
Grill the bacon without any foil etc. While the fat is still warm, pour in to an old jar. Wipe off the small amount left with a couple of pieces of kitchen roll.
Job done!

I don't know if it's the best way but it's what I do.
Grill the bacon without any foil etc. While the fat is still warm, pour in to an old jar. Wipe off the small amount left with a couple of pieces of kitchen roll.
Job done!
What do you do when the jar gets full?

You are assuming that the bacon fat is not volatile. It is. It condenses on the cooler parts which are below the aluminium foil.

Use it as loob on the gerbil...

Back