Badger

Clearly this thread will now be a series of vicious attacks from the anti-farming badger huggers - and I will take no further part in it since there is no reasoning with you.
However moving badgers is illegal, you should bear that in mind.

Farmers will always have somethin' to bloody moan about, quite often without foundation. I know this from personal experience:rolleyes:

.........................oh, and for the record I detest leftie pinko, animal right activists but do have a healthy respect for the genuine improvement of wildlife.

Reactions: BBR
Clearly this thread will now be a series of vicious attacks from the anti-farming badger huggers - and I will take no further part in it since there is no reasoning with you.
However moving badgers is illegal, you should bear that in mind.
we are not moving wild badgers for goodness sake, we are giving a home to badgers that have been rehabilitated due to varying reasons. The floods last year, mothers being killed by cars ect,ect.

For the record, badgers can be moved if the necessary license is acquired.

I have no problem with the majority of farmers and work closely with them. However, some are like some gamekeepers, living in the past.

Nice to see something positive for badgers! Nice videos Aide. A local sett was tampered with,gassed and filled,thankfully they made a return this year. I videoed with my 70d along with the sett being lit by torches. What kit are you using for yours Aide.
I have a bushnell at one of the sett entrance, the wood has cameras scattered about, just in case .

once they settle I will introduce a lighted feeding station. But I want them to settle first.

I have often wondered about the bushnells. Look forward to seeing more.
don't put peanuts or jam on them to attract badgers, they end up full of badger spit and snot, takes ages cleaning that off.....:)

No sign of young yet.

This is a new arrival, it has on old snare around its neck, does not look tight, but will make enquiries about how I can remove it safely.

Got a fox cage sorted and some long handled wire cutters. Dunno what to do for the best though. The animal will be distressed if I cage it,or the thing might get caught up and strangle itself if I leave the wire on.

Think i`ll get the cage baited and do a few night sessions up there.

More risk in leaving it I would have thought :)

Ta Neil, wrong county, but near enough. I`ll drop them a mail and ask their advice.

Ta Neil, wrong county, but near enough. I`ll drop them a mail and ask their advice.

I've had dealings with the Yorkshire lot and they are useless :meh: :indifferent:
Good on you for getting involved with the welfare and not just wanting the photos (y)

I've had dealings with the Yorkshire lot and they are useless :meh: :indifferent:
Good on you for getting involved with the welfare and not just wanting the photos (y)
Photos would be nice, but are secondary in my intentions Neil, with the badgers and all other wildlife.

Cool this is still ongoing Ade.I have a set about 20ft from my house,just starting to notice signs of digging up my garden in places :D Will have to go on a recce at some point.

Cool this is still ongoing Ade.I have a set about 20ft from my house,just starting to notice signs of digging up my garden in places :D Will have to go on a recce at some point.
Let us know how you go mate. I`m no expert on badgers, but have had a lot of help and tips from organisations that are, so will pass that info on if you want.

Hmm, dunno how I managed to miss this thread but so glad I found it.
Fantastic work, keep it up, it's nice to see that someone is taking the time to make a differemce (y)

Let us know how you go mate. I`m no expert on badgers, but have had a lot of help and tips from organisations that are, so will pass that info on if you want.

Will do,from what I can find out,other than the time diference between winter and summer when it gets dark,the time they leave the set can vary on quite a few other factors.I guess it will be a case of just sitting and waiting down wind from them.

Meeting people form the badger trust today, suss out the best option and way of catching the creature.

Cage is set and baited, very helpful and experienced people from the Lancs badger trust have helped and advised me, they will also attend once we start getting the badgers taking the bait in the cage. A vet will also be in attendance when necessary.

All being done above board and properly.

Cage is set and baited, very helpful and experienced people from the Lancs badger trust have helped and advised me, they will also attend once we start getting the badgers taking the bait in the cage. A vet will also be in attendance when necessary.

All being done above board and properly.
:clap:(y)

Nice to see the Badgers going about there business Ade. Loving the videos (y)

Nice to see the Badgers going about there business Ade. Loving the videos (y)
Thanks Trish, and all who are interested.

The biggest thanks really goes to Roger who owns the estate, he actively encourages and helps in all the projects we have on the go.

The badger appears to have got the wire off itself, I have loads of clips of the pair and neither is showing any sign of having a snare on its neck. Cameras are still on the sett and the cage is still there just in case, but we are hopeful that the badger has sorted itself out.

In the mean time, look at this dozy bugger, too much like hard work to get in the sett to sleep...............:D

Taken a while, but I love it when a plan comes together.

Excuse the crap vid but it is a few short clips stitched together.

@BRASH

Last edited:
Great to see them :)

Hadn't seen this thread before.

I enjoyed catching up and will keep an eye on it.

Great to see those cubs, Ade. You must be pleased.

Dave

Great to see those cubs, Ade. You must be pleased.

Dave
Over the moon Dave, the guy from the badger group has been up today, we have checked all the video from all the trail cams, there is no longer any sign of the old snare on either of them. Plus the sett has had another opening raked out, so it appears they are setting up their own little community.

Cheers guys, we are contemplating moving a redundant hide to create a watching area.

Excellent news, both about the snare and that the badgers appear to be settling in well.

I'm looking forward to some more videos.

Dave

Back