Badgers

flossyplops

Read my username twice. Don't get it wrong.
Name
Heidi
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been watching this family of Badgers on our farm for several years but have never been able to photograph them in daylight so only watched via trailcams. For the last few weeks I've had a routine of putting peanuts out around 5.30pm every night and now they are out from 6pm onwards enabling me to be able to photograph and watch them live. Out of this group we had 3 pregnant females and now have 9 cubs. 2 lots of 3 cubs have been out a few weeks while the other 3 only appeared above ground last week so there is a notable size difference. Here are a few pics of the adults

_MG_0279.jpg

_MG_0206.jpg

_MG_0083.jpg

_MG_0039b6.jpg

Lovely creature and renditions, Heidi (y)
but I think you could go deeper in taming
the mid-tones in #4.

Thanks for the feedback Kodiac Qc, I'm not good at pp so do as little as possible, would adjusting mid tones bring the brightness down?

Lovely shots. I've been stalking them in scotland over Easter. I've seen it twice, about 2030 hours but not managed to get close enough for a decent pic in the lighting yet. I've only got up to 300mm.

Very rare photos. There is a badger set at behind my fence at the back in a no mans land of dumped crap (urban street) , been there for over year but seen the actual badgers about twice. the amount of dirt they have excavated from the area is amazing. if they were to pose on the stop of their pile of dirt like this i would be able to shoot from my bedroom window. they've been a bit of a pain, but can't do a lot about it.

Peanuts! Start leaving a pile of peanuts somewhere you can see and they will soon come.

Apparently someone told me the other day that they are starting to behave like foxes, getting closer and closer to the city and not being as afraid of humans.

Time will tell :)

Last edited:
@gremlin16 even in the day time? the only time ive seen them has been at night time as as soon as they've realised i was there they'd scarpered. my nan and grandad used to put food out for badger in their back garden and when we stayed when i was a kid we were allowed to stay up late to see them - had to be very still and quiet

No, I've been going out at 8pm ready for an 8:30pm appearance. It was just about dark then so any pics I got were not only from distance, but noisy as hell too!

I often wonder how these guys get daytime badger pics.

I believe they are not that fussy about artificial light, but extremely fussy about noise and smell.

I'll be out there tomorrow night trying again and dropping peanuts about :)

Excellent set, well done (y)

Nice images of these lovely creatures Heidi......................Nice to see a farmer that is not condemning them(y):clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::hug:

Thanks for the comments, mine don't seem overly bothered by noise, my camera is really noisy which usually makes them look up and stare right at me for a second or two then they go back to what they are doing. Its only this year that they are out early enough that I've been able to get pics and I've been watching them for several years now. I use my Canon 60D with Sigma 150-500 but don't have to use the zoom at all as I'm so close to them but have the reach if I need it. This evening I've been filming them with my mobile stuck through the hide window :)

Back