Bags and backpacks

Edit My Images
No
So I’ve been looking at backpacks suitable for a day out in the fells (new or used and probably around 30-35l capacity) to carry my dslr with a lens attached but also all the other gear you need in uk weather is spare clothing, jacket, lunch, first aid kit, walking poles etc

Not looking to spend a lot as I have rucksack for wandering round town, a lowepro flipside trek 250 for dedicated photo walks, so what do people use? Regular rucksack with camera at the top? Carry camera on their front ( which seems it could get annoying)?

I can’t seem to find a rucksack with dedicated photo storage but then large space for everything else, so any ideas welcome!

What dslr and lens are you wanting to bring? If its a long prime/ pro body your options are going to be a lot more limited than a kit lens on a smallish body.

What dslr and lens are you wanting to bring? If its a long prime/ pro body your options are going to be a lot more limited than a kit lens on a smallish body.
I wish no it’s just a 70d and 10-18, possibly my 50mm as well, I’ve not the luxury of a longer lens at the moment

I've been using a Lowepro Photo sport 200AW for a few years now which might fit the bill. Super light weight and packed well it could probably hold most of what you are looking to carry without much problem. plenty of external mount points for poles and what not. Plus it has a spot for a water bladder or a large side pocket if you use a bottle for hydration.

In the main I've found dedicated camera backpacks are actually quite poor when it comes to space for 'other' stuff.
The solution I use when I just want to take a small amount of camera gear is to use a smallish shoulder bag (I have 2 or 3 of them, for different amounts of gear), and these then sit inside a regular rucksack when travelling about, and the either just get the camera out (leaving the bag in the rucksack), or get the whole shouter bag out for quicker access to any spare lens(es) I have.
It only works for smaller lenses, obviously, but was fine with my A7iv, 16-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-300 on a holiday to Australia last year (I had a neoprene lens pouch for the 3rd lens, which would have either the 16-35 or 70-300 in it when packed away, once the camera was out the shoulder bag would hold the 2 lenses not on the body).

I use an FStop Gear bag for that sort of trip - it has a block for the camera which goes at the bottom of the bag, and then your other kit goes on top. There are various sizes of both bag and camera block, to tailor to how much kit you need. It fails on the "not looking to spend a lot" front though.

I note your term 'fells', which is a bit more specific than just wandering about. In that circumstance 30 / 35l is on the button. I have always had my camera with lens attached in a shoulder pouch which can be stowed in the backpack or worn outside it. If you have the strap long, & wear it over the shoulder & across the body, and put the pack on afterwards, the camera is very secure, but can be easily accessed. A bigger camera bag is too difficult to slide in or out of the pack.

I just carry a couple of standard primes, one being on the camera. The only trick is tallying the pouch size to your gear. Though you can have a camera pouch and a separate lens pouch. With smaller cameras & lenses you can get camera + extra lens into a Hadley Digital, which has the benefit of Billingham waterproofness when worn outside the pack.

I have an Osprey Kamber 42 with an insert for 'proper' photography trips and days out.

A Manfrotto Off Road for a smaller amount of gear and summer use - it has a better vented back.

I use an FStop Gear bag for that sort of trip - it has a block for the camera which goes at the bottom of the bag, and then your other kit goes on top. There are various sizes of both bag and camera block, to tailor to how much kit you need. It fails on the "not looking to spend a lot" front though.

I have a similar bag but a LowePro rather than F-Stop. The major design problem I see is that the other kit goes on top, so wet waterproofs, potentially leaky bottles/flasks etc could dribble down through. Doesn't hold much in the way of camera kit either, compared to my main bag, a little MiniTrekker (again, a LowePro.

I have a similar bag but a LowePro rather than F-Stop. The major design problem I see is that the other kit goes on top, so wet waterproofs, potentially leaky bottles/flasks etc could dribble down through. Doesn't hold much in the way of camera kit either, compared to my main bag, a little MiniTrekker (again, a LowePro.
This is the problem I always see with such bags - that, and my tendency to always want to add 'just one more' lens to the bag, in case I might want it...
I have a Lowepro Nature Trekker II AW, which is pretty big, and then has the option to secure an extra bag onto it - which does get round the problem, but the combination is just too large to be practical.

My one has a separate front pocket for wet kit at the front of the bag, i.e. the furthest away from your back. It even has a drain hole at the bottom. Generally the camera gear is the heaviest thing in your bag, unless you are climbing and have ropes etc, so it makes sense to have that at the bottom for stability. Especially if you are on a bike/snowboard.

I go hill walking with a normal hiking rucksack and my camera (550D + 18-135mm lens) in its usual Lowepro pouch. I carry it slung across my body under the rucksack for easy access whenever I can. If it rains more than very lightly it goes in my rucksack. I use a waterproof liner bag in my rucksack rather than a rain cover so easy access. If you're 'walking with a camera' rather than going on a photo exped with multiple lenses, tripod etc then it seems the obvious thing to do. Wet gear is not an issue because my kag has it's own waterproof bag.

A Manfrotto Off Road for a smaller amount of gear and summer use - it has a better vented back.
As from another member asking a similar question, the Manfrotto Off Road has stopped being produced. Ebay or another platform may have it for sale.

I own one and find it suitable for my needs. I've used it on a 5miler in the Lakes a few times and has been brilliant.

Thanks everyone, I’ve ordered the Alpkit Ledge 35 and will just use a small camera case in the top to protect from rain, wet clothes etc!

Back