1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    Hi all
    Ok please bare with me, I'm off to Australia/Tasmania in September and have been hunting for "the" right bag to carry all my gear, I'm taking a gripped Nikon D810 and the trinity of lenses, I want to use it as a carry on but I wont need to fill it with the usual junk and I'm not taking
    a laptop, easy access would be a bonus as would a rain cover.
    I have looked at Lowepro flipsides and can't stand them, has anybody used the Protactic 350 or 450? Or maybe the fastpack? Or what about the Hazard 4 photo recon?

Please bombard me with any suggestions that I can look into :)

2. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks I didn't think about that type of bag, but tbh I'm more of a backpack person but I will take a look.

4. jessica1

jessica1

Edit My Images:
    No
    Have you looked at the Think Tank range? I have the streetwalker pro and found it holds my Nikon 7100 with 150-500 Sigma, my 70-200 f2.8 and a 70-300 and a flash. It has a rain cover and the lid has pockets on the front and inside for leads, cards etc. Worth a look and hope this helps!

Chipper and green ant like this.
  5. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    Thanks! I will take a look.

6. swiftflo

swiftflo

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have the Protactic 350 and find it very comfortable to use although it's not a big bag.

7. tom_amateur

tom_amateur

Name:
    Tom
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I've had the Lowepro fastpack 350 for 5-6 years, maybe more.. it carries my 15" laptop all the time, never had any problems, feels secure and safe. The dividers are easy to change and remove depending what I'm doing. I've taken it on many flights as it allows me to carry on all my valuables and electronics. Most carriers allow it as a standard size carry one, some of the hopper carriers will deem it to be a large item.

I use it for pretty much everything, the laptop slot doubles up as a supermarket pizza pocket when I'm food shopping. It will take a lot of weight, and so far ive only broken the string big off one zipper. When flying it would often be pushing 10-12kg in weight, and it was comfortable to wear.

I've successfully cleaned it up when coke, beer has been split in it.. just gave it a good soak in the bathtub with warm soapy water!

It's pretty water resistant, and has a plastic cover too. The top section is good for the various junk I carry around everywhere. The only thing it lacks for me, is a secure pocket on the back for safely storing documents, passports and somewhere to attach my monopod.

There are times when it feels a little bulky, but I love it for its versatility and almost indestructible build.

8. cambsno

cambsno

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Cant offer specific recommendations but personally would look no further than Lowepro - very well made and my orginal one has been alover the place and still in great condition.

9. Kaolin

Kaolin

Name:
    Gareth
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If you are not taking a laptop a thinktank street walker pro would be idea. I has the most comfortable straps I have used and the bag is easily deep enough for a gripped D810.

green ant likes this.
  10. Wayne Els

Wayne Els

Name:
    Wayne
    Edit My Images:
    No
    A Billingham 445 would easily fit that gear in it with space and pockets for the rest of your travel crap. Not a backpack though. I always use mine as my holiday hand luggage.

11. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    So today I tried the Lowepro protactic 350, and there is no way in hell the D810 and lenses is going in that :(

12. swiftflo

swiftflo

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have the D800 and a 24-70lens and a 70-200 lens, these fit in the protactic 350 along with my 2 flash guns lee filters and other odds and sods. I did not know that the D810 was bigger than the D800.

13. nog

nog

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    What's so bad about the flip sides, all the reviews say they are good and I've ordered one.

14. zeameth

zeameth

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    green ant likes this.
  15. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    Mine is gripped and other than open the whole back there is no way it will go in or come out of the other holes, no real problem but even using it by unzipping the back the camera protrudes above the dividers so it's not really protected.

I might give the 450 a go as I did like the bag

16. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    I have one that I keep everything and just don't like it, just my own personal opinion, I'm sure they are a really good bag just not for me :)

17. nog

nog

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    OK cheers, hope its just you then:) or no doubt there will be yet another bag for sale in classifieds:rolleyes:

18. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    Also tried a sling bag today, like the one Kodiac qc recommended, really didn't like it I'm afraid, think I'm stuck on a backpack or backpack sling, I really can't handle the bag strap just sitting on my shoulder.

19. jessica1

jessica1

Edit My Images:
    No
    Just a quick note, I have a grip on my 7100 and it fits in my think tank streetwalker pro without sticking up over the dividers, also it can hold my 150-500 and camera lengthwise with a small space at the end. I've put my spare raincoat in the space to act as a cushion!

green ant likes this.
  20. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    I have just ordered a protactic 450 aw from amazon so I can return if it still doesn't work out, Then I will move on to the think tank, again thanks to everybody who has taken time to reply, the search isnt over yet lol

Kaolin likes this.
  21. P.Y. Photographic

P.Y. Photographic

Name:
    Carrick
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just for another option, I use F-Stop Gear bags - one Loka UL and one Kenti - and like them both. The Kenti likely wouldn't work with a gripped body, but the others are all modular with ICU boxes to hold the camera that you can mix and match to suit your setup. I tried a few different LowePro bags over the years and never found one that quite suited me. I've been using the F-Stop bags for about three year now and love them. Downside - they're not cheap and they can be a bit of a bugger to get a hold of sometimes, but if they work for you they're well worth it.

green ant likes this.
  22. Chipper

Chipper

Edit My Images:
    No
    I have a bunch of thinktank bags and used to loveLowePro; I have a 1Dx2 with a 100-400 mk2 which I use in a Speed Racer (think that is the biggest one) . I can usually get another lens in there with the converter as well. I guess this isn't the type that you were asking about but my point is that they make clever, ergonomic lenses.

23. johnf3f

johnf3f

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    For me it is the LowePro Vertex 200. It went to Alberta last summer with a 300 F2.8, 24-70 F2.8 and 16-35 F4 + a Canon 1 series body. I didn't put in many bits and bobs so with your small lenses there would be plenty of room for extra batteries, filter kit etc etc. It has a Laptop pouch (no use to me) and is very well padded for both your gear and you. Zero issues with carry on though the security guys did want to play with the 300 F2.8 .

24. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I use a maxpedition fatboy versipack. It doesn't scream "mug me, I have an expensive camera!"
    [​IMG]

25. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No

I have the jumbo! I can fit my D810 with battery grip Lplate and 24-70 plust the 14-24 in the side bottle pocket, bit of a squeeze but a great bag.

26. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thinking about it mine may also be the jumbo..

27. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
  28. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hmm. Not sure mine seems to be neither[​IMG]

29. sirch

sirch Official Forum Numpty 2015

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Such a thing does not exist, it is a conspiracy by bag makers, they deliberately make bags that are almost right but no quite so you keep buying new bags in the endless search for the "right" bag.

mjmountain likes this.
  30. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Which is why I'm making my own..

sirch likes this.
  31. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    Truth!

32. green ant

green ant

Edit My Images:
    No
    That I would be interested to see, I have thought about it, would prob involve something maxpedition or tactical...but I'm lazy lol

33. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's on the drawing board. Will be leather, so probably heavy and impractical. But it will smell amazing, last forever, and be completely unique.