Bamburgh Castle + 10stop ND filter

2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 all the way :) Never keen on Mono's for some reason, unless they are OTT Punchy.

Gary.

Compliments Les, beautiful shots!! Love the technique to obtain different photos of an ultra-photographed Castle (y) The light is wonderful and the sky too (y) An ND filter of 10 stops...great, it gave you only a little cast, as regards I was expecting. Did you correct the color casts?

Once again Les McLean demonstrates his ability to see things in a different light, excuse the pun, but these are an outstanding set of images. No negative comment about the red one either Its just a different take..well done Les.

I've just ordered a 10 stop ND. I'd be delighted if I got something half as good as No 1 & 3. The filter warms the coloured images up a lot. Have you tried neutralising it a bit in PP, or does that destroy the magic??

always up for different takes on overshot places and these don't dissapoint.

Well done.

keith(y)

Well, those are superb. I especially love the black and white ones. I live an hour from Bamburgh and thought I'd seen every take on that castle.

So, can someone explain to me as a bit of a noob... I have an ND8 filter but that only blocks the equivalent of 3 stops of light? If I want one that takes out 10 stops what do I look for? I searched on "ND 10" on Ebay and got nowt.

Les those are excellent.
You certainly achieved your objective to get a different take - Brill !
If forced, 2, 1 & 3.

Well, those are superb. I especially love the black and white ones. I live an hour from Bamburgh and thought I'd seen every take on that castle.

So, can someone explain to me as a bit of a noob... I have an ND8 filter but that only blocks the equivalent of 3 stops of light? If I want one that takes out 10 stops what do I look for? I searched on "ND 10" on Ebay and got nowt.

It's the B+W Neutral Density Filter 110

I got mine from fotosense, but they ain't cheap.

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/accessories/filters-adapters/neutral-density.html?manufacturer=33

What was the exposure time with the 10 stop to get these images

The afternoon was quite bright, so around 30sec-60sec @f22 ISO100

Each one of these images is an object lesson in photographic perfection. Les, I hate you very much and vow never to post in one of your threads ever again :LOL:.

Actually, I may have laid the praise on a bit thick there :thinking:, I'm not sure about the processing on 'the red one'!? Top marks for everything else though (y).

Thanks for the reply. Am I being thick here, but does the b&w filter produce a black and white image? If so then how did you get the colored images? I really am a noob!

Thanks for the reply. Am I being thick here, but does the b&w filter produce a black and white image? If so then how did you get the colored images? I really am a noob!

No probs :)

B+W is the company that makes the filters.

The filter will act no different to your ND8 filter, except it will restrict 10 stops of light instead of 3.

The issues you need to be aware of are that with such long day time exposures, you can get significant colour shifts, sometimes these work, sometimes not.

Also, you get a build up of colours that can look quite intense (for example the very red shot in the sequence of mine).

Because of these factors, it's quite common to see ND10 shots converted to B&W in photoshop.

Oh thanks, here's me thinking B+W stood for black and white! They don't seem to be very common and they are pretty pricey. I need a 67mm one and the Fotosense site you linked to seems to be the cheapest at £46. I may just splash out, thanks.

All great shots, like the composition a lot, think 3 is my fave. :)

Jeff.

Excellent set of images you have there, number 2 has got to be my favourite out of them all. I'll have to get myself a B&W 10 stop filter sometime when i've got the money.

Back