Critique Bamburgh Castle Yesterday - Help me choose a keeper from 4.

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,
Got myself over to the north east coast this weekend to have a go at some castles and lighthouses for a change.
Was blessed with 15 mins of good light and had already scouted my composition options the day before so was able to run about and nail them all, much to the other 20+ togs dismay as I probably klept getting in their shots as they were shooting from further back than me, hoping its just because most of them were on crops/zooms. Anyway, here are my four favourites of many.

View attachment 7427

View attachment 7428

View attachment 7429

View attachment 7430

C & C welcome of course as always, your feedback and critique help me improve. :)

All very good and all have a slightly different merits - but I think No.1 wins it by a nose, for me. The sky in it just brings that bit extra into the shot

I prefer the last one, better symmetry, calm, tranquil, I can just imagine walking barefoot along the shore towards the castle.
Very nice indeed.

Very nice set, No1 & No4 are very similar though (y)

1 2 and 4 for me, very nice

H

1 for me because of the wider angle, the sun is central compared to 4 and the sky has more about it and finally the reflection of the sun on the sea.
I know those rocks well in 2, took a lovely fall as I slipped and lost my feet on the slab of black rock.

Thanks Everyone. I agree with No:1 too.
(I guess there was a reason it was uploaded first... it was always my favourite really)

Been doing some more processing on it and think I prefer it like this...

View attachment 7486

Why do you think?

1st one for me, although I don't know how you processed them they all look over saturated to me.

its no2 for me it takes you from the bottom left and then right to the castle. it holds your interest all the time, the 1st one stops you at the centre with the bright sunset

Last edited:
Sorry I know you have decided which one you like, but I like No 2 due to the colours.

Nice set No1 edges it though for me

Number 1 please. It's all about the pattern in the tide for me there. Your first attemp, not the second - too dark for me.

#1 for me. Given there was only 15 mins of decent light, you must have been pleased that none of the other photographers got in your field of view. Wonder how they felt as you wandered through their shots

#1 for me. Given there was only 15 mins of decent light, you must have been pleased that none of the other photographers got in your field of view. Wonder how they felt as you wandered through their shots

Plenty got in all mine above... that's what the healing tool in Lightroom is for. (In fact you can see a poor clone above the left hand dice in that shot that i have since improved)
After driving 4 hrs to get there, I certainly wont be stopping shooting because someone else is on a public beach and nor would I expect anyone else to stop either. Thats photography out of the studio I guess.

Last edited:
#1 for me but I would love to see it with a more natural sky / cloud colour.

Plenty got in all mine above... that's what the healing tool in Lightroom is for. (In fact you can see a poor clone above the left hand dice in that shot that i have since improved)
After driving 4 hrs to get there, I certainly wont be stopping shooting because someone else is on a public beach and nor would I expect anyone else to stop either. Thats photography out of the studio I guess.
Maybe I'm in the minority. I try to make sure I don't intrude into other people's shots. Some extend the courtesy to me too

Maybe I'm in the minority. I try to make sure I don't intrude into other people's shots. Some extend the courtesy to me too

Me too where possible, but what do you do if your already there and others turn up? Just go home?
Your not going to get many shots that way!!

Me too where possible, but what do you do if your already there and others turn up? Just go home?
Your not going to get many shots that way!!
If I'm there first I'd hope they'd show the same courtesy. Your first post suggested it was you that was late to the party and waded straight in, and then posted on here pleased with yourself.

Never ever seen a another person with a camera on the beaches around Bamburgh.

That aside you have a nice set there Stu. Some unusual colours in the sky. :)

Your first post suggested it was you that was late to the party and waded straight in, and then posted on here pleased with yourself.

I think you made that assumption yourself as my post clearly said I was there the night before and scouted all my locations. I would hardly then miss first light after an 8 hour round trip would I? ;) I stayed in a very local hotel and was back at 5:30 am with a flask awaiting first light. The others all arrived after me and chose to shoot from behind, like I said early, I assume and hope it's because they were on crops so had 60% more reach than me on full frame at 18mm.

The only reason I mentioned lots of other photographers there was not to gloat (as again you have assumed) but to highlight its an incredibly popular spot. Or at least I assume so as it's so well shot. It was my first ever visit to the east coast so I wouldn't know but a quick google shows a LOT of awesome images from that few meters of beach. Only place I've ever seen that busy is buttermere on a Sunday morning.

Last edited:
A strong set. My preference is for 3. The FG dice hold it that bit better together.

The central sun in one, I'd say its ok but not the keeper. 4 seems the better sunrise. I like 2 too, but its not as well held together at the front as 3 is

I like #1 the most, the sky I think does it for me too. but the others are still cool shots, why choose? keep all four.

I think you made that assumption yourself as my post clearly said I was there the night before and scouted all my locations. I would hardly then miss first light after an 8 hour round trip would I? ;) I stayed in a very local hotel and was back at 5:30 am with a flask awaiting first light. The others all arrived after me and chose to shoot from behind, like I said early, I assume and hope it's because they were on crops so had 60% more reach than me on full frame at 18mm.

The only reason I mentioned lots of other photographers there was not to gloat (as again you have assumed) but to highlight its an incredibly popular spot. Or at least I assume so as it's so well shot. It was my first ever visit to the east coast so I wouldn't know but a quick google shows a LOT of awesome images from that few meters of beach. Only place I've ever seen that busy is buttermere on a Sunday morning.
First rule of landscape - you snooze, you lose. First bloke on the beach gets to put his tripod wherever he likes.

Well played.

Oh, and #1. Water at the bottom left and the light wins it for me.

First rule of landscape - you snooze, you lose. First bloke on the beach gets to put his tripod wherever he likes.

Hmmm. I'm usually first on the platform awaiting a steam engine. When it arrives the b*****s just move in and stand in front of me and tripod/camera!:geek::naughty:

Great pics man! No. 4 for me. :clap:

Back