Band in small hall

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm going to photograph a friend's band on Saturday. It's in a hall without professional lighting so not too optimistic as to its quality. I am taking my R10 and considering using my 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 because they're the fastest I have. Any of you chaps have an opinion on this lens choice?

Also any suggestions as to settings? I'm not sure how the R10 will perform with high ISOs They're old guys so I doubt they'll be leaping about much but 'm assuming I'd need around 1/125s shutter speed minimum.

Sound good:?

The lens choice will be affected by how close you can get and how much you can move around. I've photographed the guys in my band with a 50 f1.8 using a D610 in a very dark pub, and it was fine.

The lens choice will be affected by how close you can get and how much you can move around. I've photographed the guys in my band with a 50 f1.8 using a D610 in a very dark pub, and it was fine.
Not sure the distance as I haven’t been there, but I know it’s “small” so I’m guessing the FF equivalent of and 55mm and 80mm should cover a fair range? I have the 85mm f2 but it’s probably a bit close. I also have the RF-S 18-150 but thought it might be a bit slow.

It’s something I never have done so I’m not that clear but if you found the 50mm f1.8 suitable in that pub I’ll go with that and the 35mm

Not sure the distance as I haven’t been there, but I know it’s “small” so I’m guessing the FF equivalent of and 55mm and 80mm should cover a fair range? I have the 85mm f2 but it’s probably a bit close. I also have the RF-S 18-150 but thought it might be a bit slow.

It’s something I never have done so I’m not that clear but if you found the 50mm f1.8 suitable in that pub I’ll go with that and the 35mm
I hadn't realised your camera was crop from your lenses (no idea about Canon models). In your case I'd take those 2 plus the 85 too, just in case.

Couple of examples - not my band.
Thatpedalshow-4175 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Dave
GospelBell-7733 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Other Dave
Gospel Bell Mono- by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Sean & Donald
Gospel Bell-5143 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

John
Gospel Bell Mono-5106 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Nice pics. I have an R5 hence the lenses but won’t have it with me as I will be travelling so taking the R10. I will pack the 85mm as well. Thank you (y)

To be honest if the light is going to be low I would use your R5 unless you’re sure that the R10 has the same high ISO capability , I have used my R5 at maximum ISO in a venue with dim lighting , shooting RAW and processing with DXO and got decent results
mostly used my 70-200 F4 found a 50mm to be too wide unless you’re real close to te band
it completely depends on the venue though and how far from the band you are
I didn’t shoot wide open found a bit of depth of field helpful for example to get guitarists face and guitar in focus :)

You should be fine with 1.8 lenses in most scenarios, even a dimly lit hall. I use a 20-60 zoom and my 85mm 1.8 prime for most gigs I shoot for people.

First two shots are in the upstairs room of a pub with the envious combination of a dim room and huge sun facing windows pouring in light behind the performers. The stage had 2 super low power LED RGB lights on a colour cycle but they didn't help much. Still got something usable though.

Second two shots are taken in a venue with a professional lighting rig.

I'd say just watch your shutter speed and your intent around it. Better to pump the ISO a little and work on the noise in post than get a blurry mess you can't save. I do like slower shutter speeds for movement in instrument playing occasionally though. Blurred drumsticks with a frozen subject can look really cool.

P1043779.jpg
P1033642 (1).jpg
P1022038 (2).jpg
P1022109 (1).jpg

Attachments

• P1033652.jpg
    P1033652.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
Thank you everyone. There are impressive results.

I’m not likely to have my R5 with me as I I want to travel as light s as possible and this gig is only one night of my trip.I will be using the 18-150 and R10 as my main rig during the rest of it. I’m hoping the increase dof in using the R 10 ( as opposed to FF ) will allow me to open up a stop or two thereby undoing the downside of the lesser noise performance.

If I bring the 85mm f2 along I reckon I should have a fair bit of reach. I know we have a table at the front so I’m assuming not far away.

Last edited:
Back