Band Shoot

Edit My Images
No
I covered a shoot for a local band at the weekend. The final picture was this one. It was cold and windy, but the sky looked nice, so I wanted to try and keep the detail. I used an SB800 off camera to the right of camera on a stand to light the subjects. I was miffed about the shadow from the glasses on the face of the guy with the glasses on, I'll have to try and get rid of that .. .. any comments/critique welcome... ..

Regards,
Moey._MOE4022.jpg

I'll have to try and get rid of that

Why should you bother… you shot with a hard light, they are expected
and they are there!

Such glasses problem, as in this case, I attenuate using a horizontal
1'x4' gridded strip soft box on a B2.

This take offers you all the latitude to create an imagery reflecting
some artistic intent and I think you should go for it!

Thanks Kodiak .. .. I did have a square softbox with me, but the wind was blowing it over, so decided to go with just the flashgun. I like the harsh look, but wasn't sure about the 'glasses' shadow. Thanks for your comments. :)

I like the harsh look,

Me too…
the gridded 1x4 will preserve the harshness on the vertical axis but will
be a tad softer on the horizontal thus attenuating the glasses shadows.

Great shot love the pov and sky works very well. Re ; not a problem for me either.

Gaz

I would have gone for a more industrial/Cityscape type BG, not a field, but that's just my opinion

I'm sure they'll love it - looks like an album cover

Les

Me too…
the gridded 1x4 will preserve the harshness on the vertical axis but will
be a tad softer on the horizontal thus attenuating the glasses shadows.

Thanks for the advice Kodiak .. . I was thinking of getting myself a gridded softbox at some point, so i'll keep it in mind.. .. thanks..

Great shot love the pov and sky works very well. Re ; not a problem for me either.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz.. .. yes, I wanted to go for a low angle and keep the background low in the frame.. .. thanks for looking .. .

Great shot for the band, this tutorial by Glyn Dewis on frequency separation could help with the shadows:
https://www.glyndewis.com/free-photography-n-photoshop-tip-sheets/
Hth.

Thanks David, i'll bookmark that and have a look later this evening .. ..appreciate that, thanks very much ..

Nice shot, I'm sure the band will love it. The glasses don't bother me at all.

Thanks Psychology .. .. the band did love it .. :) I have done some work for them in the past and fortunately, they have come back to me.

I would have gone for a more industrial/Cityscape type BG, not a field, but that's just my opinion

I'm sure they'll love it - looks like an album cover

Les

Thanks Les .. .. They suggested the location which is a farm area. We used some of the outbuildings for other shots, but i kind of had this type of shot in my mind to finish off with .. .. the cityscape background wouldn't be to my own taste, however, i'd definately have gone for the industrial if that was an option.. .. . they are happy with the image, especially as they were freezing whilst I was trying to get them to stop shivering, lol .. .. I was more concerned about my gear floating off in the wind. Thanks again ..

Overall, i lke it. the glasses shadows doesnt bother me, thats real life after all, it might look odd without it. One thing is niggling though - did you do a lot of PP to the guy on the right? Perhaps its just a weird angle, but it looks like his face has been added in from a different photo?

White suff camera left on the grass is catching my eye. The glass shadow doesn't bother me too much. The guy camera right - not sure what it is about him, but he's not quite sitting right. Did you darken his jacket in PP?

Me like. Classic band promo shot. As for the location, I'd have to know their music to judge whether rural or urban is more appropriate.

Overall, i lke it. the glasses shadows doesnt bother me, thats real life after all, it might look odd without it. One thing is niggling though - did you do a lot of PP to the guy on the right? Perhaps its just a weird angle, but it looks like his face has been added in from a different photo?

No, there hasn't been any compositing, this is exactly how they were stood, however, there was a blown highlight between that guy and the girls head, i cloned a bit of cloud into that area ... maybe that could have had an effect??

White suff camera left on the grass is catching my eye. The glass shadow doesn't bother me too much. The guy camera right - not sure what it is about him, but he's not quite sitting right. Did you darken his jacket in PP?

Yes, i've noticed the bit in the grass too, i will get rid of that... the jacket may have darkened when i adjusted overall contrast?

I like it a lot but the 2nd thing I noticed was the 'orrid haloing around the subjects.

I can't see the haloing? Mind you, i'm on mobile at min, i will look at it on the screen later...

@Moey maybe, I've never done this kind of set up myself. There was just something off about his features, but maybe if it wasn't the first photo I'd seen of him maybe it wouldn't look different

The haloing is around all the high contrast edges but most noticeable by the shoulder of the person on the right.

Ah, I see it... i'm thinking it's the clarity adjustment... i may have gone overboard... i can't seem to recall seeing it on the high res version.... i will have another look... thanks..

It reminds me of a picture used to highlight a quirky C4 TV show rather than a band tbh. Maybe that's a good thing?

It reminds me of a picture used to highlight a quirky C4 TV show rather than a band tbh. Maybe that's a good thing?

It depends which Channel 4 show Nick.. .. .I think they could handle TFI Friday due to some of the great bands they have had on there in the past, but if it's Big Brother, it's definately not a good thing.. .. .. mind you, that's on Channel 5 now .. .. .. .. .. not that I keep track of these things, honest .. .. ..

I would say it is a nice shot, though me personally I would crop a bit of the sky out to focus a bit more on the band itself
Don't say things like that, I only did this shot for the sky.....

Nice shot that is mate, the edgy lighting works well & the glasses shadows don't bother me at all (haloing is a tad distracting but only from a picky photographer kind of way, in an odd way I think it works as is - am sure they'd not notice it & am sure they'll love the image)

Nicely done (y)

Back