Name
Gerry
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a new photo taken with my Sony a7Rii and Sony FE 200-600mm f5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens. I am still very much learning full frame having moved from my old Sony a6400 aps-c and am finding pretty much everything i knew about photography is worthless and am having to start over from scratch with this full frame

This was shot in jpeg format with the following settings
f/8, ISO-1000, 1/100s shutter, -0.7 step exposure bias at 600mm

I have cropped the image down from the original to try and frame it better based from comments on my previous, and first, posting to this site so hopefully I have got the basics of cropping / framing right!
Original image was 7952 x 5304. I have resized to 3644 x 3644. Looking for some constructive feedback and tips please!

[media] ]View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/199748624@N08/53389187517/in/dateposted-public/[/media]

Zooming in on Flickr show the vole to be very sharp, they are pretty. I used to see bank voles a lot years ago but I think the mink decimated the population.

Hello,
Hopefully you’ll get more constructive criticism by others.
Here’s mine
The thing I’ve noticed right away is that the subject is kind of lost in the background.
Maybe a different angle, tighter frame or better light?
I’m not into talking pictures of animals and i can only imagine how difficult it must be as the subject must be constantly moving. From my experience I’m always trying to get the best light during the day and always try different angles/composition.
Also play with the composition, try to place the subject away from the centre of the image.
the best way to learn is by looking other photographers pictures.
You’ll slowly gain experience as to what is aesthetically more pleasing and hopefully develop your own style.

Good luck and enjoy no matter what you do.
Marino

Hello,
Hopefully you’ll get more constructive criticism by others.
Here’s mine
The thing I’ve noticed right away is that the subject is kind of lost in the background.
Maybe a different angle, tighter frame or better light?
I’m not into talking pictures of animals and i can only imagine how difficult it must be as the subject must be constantly moving. From my experience I’m always trying to get the best light during the day and always try different angles/composition.
Also play with the composition, try to place the subject away from the centre of the image.
the best way to learn is by looking other photographers pictures.
You’ll slowly gain experience as to what is aesthetically more pleasing and hopefully develop your own style.

Good luck and enjoy no matter what you do.
Marino
This vole was shot from approximately 50ft away at 600mm so I've cropped in as far as I dare without losing quality to bring It closer lol it's a tiny creature to begin with but I do understand your feedback and note for future "bigger " subjects lol

Gerry for me 2 things resound................ first is get much closer yes I know your subject is incredibly fast.your first task from me is very hard "get closer" is 2 little words, but to do that will take much time and effort on your part......... but be in no doubt YOU can do that.you find a way in mate.

2nd is real easy shoot RAW..give yourself as much leeway to process your images.

bud I normally waffle loads and you deserve more words yours is a charming subject and frame ..but do those 2 things find a way to get in................ so ya don't have to crop massively and shoot RAW. will help you the most I feel

Gerry welcome to wildlife take on board how ever hard ya try they will always out do you and that means there is always more to be had tomorrow (y)

stu

Gerry for me 2 things resound................ first is get much closer yes I know your subject is incredibly fast.your first task from me is very hard "get closer" is 2 little words, but to do that will take much time and effort on your part......... but be in no doubt YOU can do that.you find a way in mate.

2nd is real easy shoot RAW..give yourself as much leeway to process your images.

bud I normally waffle loads and you deserve more words yours is a charming subject and frame ..but do those 2 things find a way to get in................ so ya don't have to crop massively and shoot RAW. will help you the most I feel

Gerry welcome to wildlife take on board how ever hard ya try they will always out do you and that means there is always more to be had tomorrow (y)

stu
Had no chance with this one to get closer as had a hard hide stopping me!! So it was a cut out in a wood panelled hide fenced I woodland each side so had to make do with what was given. Appreciate the feedback and tips and will give me something to work on!

stu
this is what i have been reduced to shooting .. conditions wise! so zero movement closer!
[media] ]View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/199748624@N08/53390832852/in/dateposted-public/[/media]

Gerry I love your set up, in a nutshell you are talking to a guy for all his failings, that doesn't really shoot from a hide. I find them so constricting like someone has strapped my arms behind my back mate I'm not saying they don't work .most of my vole images come from my front door. Basically a hide !!

Yeah there's a feeling of claustrophobia in a hide for me with wildlife images ....... Gerry I guess I love the dance ( stalking) and that dance is where I'm urging you to explore.

that said in our overpopulated isle finding a place where one can learn and work with a species is becoming desparately difficult :(

stu

Gerry I love your set up, in a nutshell you are talking to a guy for all his failings, that doesn't really shoot from a hide. I find them so constricting like someone has strapped my arms behind my back mate I'm not saying they don't work .most of my vole images come from my front door. Basically a hide !!

Yeah there's a feeling of claustrophobia in a hide for me with wildlife images ....... Gerry I guess I love the dance ( stalking) and that dance is where I'm urging you to explore.

that said in our overpopulated isle finding a place where one can learn and work with a species is becoming desparately difficult :(

stu
I totally agree! Sadly there is not much around here that is fully open. I will be out tomorrow to one such place though... so watch for updates!

Bud ya don't want fully open ....ya need to go cap in hand .on bended knee to somewhere/ someone..................... you know there is images to be made ask someone for permission, convince them you will look after their land

Gerry there are so so many of us one needs to isolate you from the masses by going where the masses don't and then being desparately considerate of the species therein.
It is doable mate.but it is hard won

the pressure of humanity right now on wildlife means getting close for an image , might be frowned upon
that said one can work the angles ;)

Back