Undecided Banksys 'Dismaland'

Dismaland ... Weston-Super-Mare ... Hmm :thinking:

Looks like the website has crashed so could be hard getting a ticket. I've tried a few times but no luck yet!
Me too, it's either a big hoax about buying tickets online or in advance or it's just a case of the page can't keep up.

Its mighty surreal but whether or not you can get close enough to the exhibits looks debatable

There was a big piece about it on the Channel 4 news last night, looks interesting but there is a limit on the number of people allowed in each day apparently

We will be on holiday about 10 miles from there in around three weeks so will definitely try and get tickets. Makes a change for us to be in the right place at the right time!

We will be on holiday about 10 miles from there in around three weeks so will definitely try and get tickets. Makes a change for us to be in the right place at the right time!
I've got the bank holiday week off that's coming up and thought the exact same thing. The difficult bit seems to be getting tickets....

Weston seafront just announced on Twitter tickets to be back on sale next week.

https://BANNED/westonseafront/status/634797501967650816

Ticket site now up and running :)

At last, a theme park I would be interested in going to.

A few yeras ago my wife organised a family trip to EuroDisney. My specil treat was that I wasn't going!!

Steve.

Got my tickets booked for on Monday. Anyone else going?

Got my ticket this morning and will be going on Wednsday 2nd and it is a busy week for me as I am going to the Secret Cinema Star Wars event on Friday too.
Lucky you! Plenty to look forward too. I'll look forward to seeing your results from there too. I'll post mine if they're worthy...

I went on Sunday evening. Probably best time to go if your're photographing the outside exhibits is evening as around dusk the exhibits are either floodlit or light up.

To be honest I thought it was a bit of a curate's egg of an exhibition. Some stuff was excellent, others just so-so and a number of exhibits that weren't really art at all but simply somebody trying to make a social/political comment. But bearing in mind its only £5 to get in (and £2 of that is the booking fee) it's certainly good value.

Some of the Damien Hirst stuff I found a bit dark but then that's my subjective experience. Some stuff is very funny. As usual the Banksy stuff was darkly comic and some of the indoor exhibits are excellent.

I'll probably put some images on Flickr over the next few days but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who intends to go, so I'll probably limit the number of shots to a small number.

I hear that some visitors have been adding their own 'art' to the exhibits so you have to be fleeced for marker pens etc before entry!

I hear that some visitors have been adding their own 'art' to the exhibits so you have to be fleeced for marker pens etc before entry!
Well not fleeced exactly. Bag searches are carried out and anything resembling a pen or aerosol paint can is confiscated.

There were some cans of hairspray sitting on the table when I went through.

My album is linked below if anyone wants a look, pretty much only the obvious stuff that's been shown in the media here (surprised at how much more there was to see).

Had an 11am ticket, arrived at 10am and was about 30th in the queue, straight in bang on 11am and the first half an hour was really, really quiet whilst people were filtering in, then it started to get really busy. The 'outdoor cinema' is well worth sitting through, some truly superb short films.

The staff were brilliant, and ironically it was really well organised given the number of people there. A few very odd things going on which I assume were part of 'the show', but hard to tell sometimes!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/albums/72157658065861715

Last edited:
My album is linked below if anyone wants a look, pretty much only the obvious stuff that's been shown in the media here (surprised at how much more there was to see).

Had an 11am ticket, arrived at 10am and was about 30th in the queue, straight in bang on 11am and the first half an hour was really, really quiet whilst people were filtering in, then it started to get really busy. The 'outdoor cinema' is well worth sitting through, some truly superb short films.

The staff were brilliant, and ironically it was really well organised given the number of people there. A few very odd things going on which I assume were part of 'the show', but hard to tell sometimes!

Fantastic set of images, it looks like a photographers paradise, lots going on. I'd love to go.

Did you go in to the shop? I've seen on Twitter that Jimmy Cauty has customised some riot shields, and they're being sold at Dismaland - I'd love one, but they appear to be extortionately priced at galleries.

Not going to look at your galleries as I just bought a ticket for a week Saturday. Should be good and not too far to drive either which is nice. Are they generally OK with people taking pictures etc?

Not going to look at your galleries as I just bought a ticket for a week Saturday. Should be good and not too far to drive either which is nice. Are they generally OK with people taking pictures etc?
those security guards will probably ask some pretty searching questions about why you have a "professional" camera lol

They're genuinely fine with it all but you'll get dismal comments from them telling you "no matter how big your lens is your still not a photographer". ( I I did anyway and it was only a 35mm prime)

The staff are purposely rude and abrupt but in a very funny way, just go along with it and give em some stick.

The staff are purposely rude and abrupt but in a very funny way, just go along with it and give em some stick.

I didn't bother with my DSLR and just took my Fuji X10. One of the staff looked at me and said, "Oi mate. You want to get yourself a PROPER camera like those w******s over there.........." o_O

I didn't bother with my DSLR and just took my Fuji X10. One of the staff looked at me and said, "Oi mate. You want to get yourself a PROPER camera like those w******s over there.........." o_O
Hahaha, I loved the irony of it all and the banter with the staff.
We had a cover over our little ones pushchair ( only way he'll sleep in it) and got asked if we were smuggling illegal immigrants in it.

As others have mentioned you will probably get abuse. I was on my own so was told 'don't worry, you can photoshop some friends in when you get home'!

As others have mentioned you will probably get abuse. I was on my own so was told 'don't worry, you can photoshop some friends in when you get home'!
I'm fine with that but thanks for the various warnings. I was mostly thinking from the point of view of people sharing images and either ruining the experience for people that haven't been or selling them as prints on the internet or using them for some other money making scheme.

No issues like that. People were openly filming the various short films shown at the outdoor cinema with no problems. I think their only/main concern is people defacing the art work.

Having looked at the images posted here I thought it would be worth a trip to WSM, but I've just checked the website and it's all sold out,
wish I'd looked sooner.

Tickets go on sale on a weekly basis. In my experience they were not difficult to get, I forgot about it for a while last week but still got the time slot I wanted when going on the website 30 minutes after they went on sale.

The next batch went on sale yesterday at 10am, at 10:20 there were still tickets available for loads of slots (including all of them on the Saturday/Sunday).

Back