Barcelona - advice please

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

I would like some advice from people that have been to Barcelona please, as I'm going first thing tomorrow and have not really had the chance to prepare much.

I am there on my own for approx 12 hours (since the rest of the group does not arrive until nearly midnight) so I've taken it upon me to do a photography challenge - mainly looking at architecture and religion. Some questions though:

- I'll be taking my Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens and a gorillapod (as part of the challenge) - can anyone recommend other subjects / locations that would suit my kit?

- I am also a relatively novice photographer - probably your typical got-the-kit-but-not-the-know-how-therefore-gets-frustrated type. Any advice on how I should approach my photography in this new location?

- Any places to avoid? I'm thinking about those that would make me and my camera vulnerable to unscrupulous folk.

- Does anyone have any suggestions of areas to photograph after 'the magic hour'? I could just plonk myself on a bar stool but I'll probably end up getting hammered before my mates get there.

I know it's very short notice but have been rushed off my feet lately so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

(MODs - i am unsure if this is the right forum for this so please move accordingly)

Do this:

La Sagrada Familia by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Gotta say, Barcelona is my least favourite city in Spain, and it deserves its reputation as the pick-pocket capital of Europe. Be VERY careful on the metro, ignore anyone that drops anything in front of you etc. Beer is way too expensive in Las Ramblas.
Remember, they would rather speak Catalan than Castellano, so please is "si us plau" and thanks you is "gràcies".

For architecture and religion there is a lot to see. The Sagrada Familia as Ricardodaforce posted above. The challenge there is to get one of the outside of it without any cranes. ;)

Then there are the Gaudi buildings which are beutiful. :love:

Hope you have a nice day snapping. (y)

I was lucy enough to live there or a while and there are lots of different types of places to visit.

I agree that the hop on-off tourist bus is the best way to see what the city offers. One of my favourite places is Parc Güell.

Pickpockets are a huge problem. Especially on the Ramblas. So be very careful. They will especially target you if you seem to be occupied with a camera.

My sister and her boyfriend went to Barcelona and even before they had reached their hotel from the airport my sister had her purse stolen and then shortly after her boyfriend had his rucksack stolen. A colleague also had her purse stolen on La Ramblas too.

That aside, Barcelona is a beautiful place. I particularly liked anything by Gaudi and fortunately it's pretty much most of Barcelona!!

Enjoy.

I've been to Barca 3 times and, touch wood, not had a problem with pick pockets.

I think if your sensible, you'll be fine.

Going again on Monday for a few days actually.

I've been there walked about with my d90 around my neck nearly all day.

Loads to see everywhere you turn there is a building tucked here and there , a decorative lamp post.

Loved it can't wait to go back

Interesting how the one place can provoke such diverse views. As the victim of an attempted robbery my views have been tainted. Plus, and you guys probably won't know this, but Cataluña has a very snotty attitude towards Spain that I just don't like.
My last trip was on the drive back from Andorra, and I went in just to photograph La Sagrada Familia. I'd be happy never to visit Barcelona again.

Ricardodaforce said:
As the victim of an attempted robbery my views have been tainted. Plus, and you guys probably won't know this, but Cataluña has a very snotty attitude towards Spain that I just don't like.

Even though I lived there and new the risks I was pickpocketed once and have also been the victim of a failed attempt. But I don't let it detract from a lovely city, but I agree the populous are proud to be Catalan (a bit like some Welsh people I know :D ).

I went a couple of years ago. Read loads of stories about the pick pockets. Just be careful - sadly you just have to make someone else the easier target.

So rucksacks on your front. Wallets in an inside zipped up pocket. Leave any unnecessary valuables at the hotel. Watch for distraction thefts - pretty girls, children, 'old' people.

To be honest it's a great city, lots to see and we had no problems just be a bit savvy and enjoy yourself.

If you want to know what Las Ramblas is like....

Take Alicante's Explanada de España

Add rip-off beer prices.

Add pick-pockets.

Add beggars.

Add prostitutes at night.

Hey presto, you've made Las Ramblas (y):LOL:

Basically it just like any other major city in the world but with better looking buildings.

Such negativity will make people never leave their houses.

Basically it just like any other major city in the world but with better looking buildings.

Such negativity will make people never leave their houses.

Not sure I agree Tom. There's a vast difference in levels of safety compared to Madrid or Sevilla. Both of which are very beautiful. Of course they don't have La Sagrada Familia or Casa Batlló, but they have their own jewels. Furthermore, whilst I did slightly have tongue in cheek in my last post, what I actually wrote is factually correct.

Although I think Barcelona is my favourite city location in the world (and I've travelled a fair bit over the years), I'm not a big fan of Las Ramblas. Like similar areas in most major cities it's just too touristy for me (with corresponding high prices and tourist tat).

However it is a lot safer than it used to be. I still remember what it was like before the bottom area by the sea was smartened up for the Olympics.

I assume OP has gone now but thought I'd post here anyway. Went to Barcelona last year and was slightly worried about getting mugged or whatever everyone goes on about. It's fine, just don't be a retard. Saw someone get "mugged" right in front of me but they fully deserved it, standing next to a cash machine blatantly counting out their money. I felt far more unsafe in that ****** Christiania town in copenhagen.

Also, and I'm sure this will be a very unpopular opinion, most of the Gaudi stuff is rubbish. Sagra familia thing is just cranes and literally thousands and thousands or annoying tourists, better off just viewing it from a distance. Parc guell was the same, half of it was fenced off. Gaudis apartment was ok but I went 5 minutes before closing so it was quiet.

The best part of Barcelona for me was just wondering the streets and back alleys and seeing what I could find. The gothic district or whatsit called is all really interesting. Parc Montjuic was awesome too, great views of the sun setting over the city.

I assume OP has gone now but thought I'd post here anyway. Went to Barcelona last year and was slightly worried about getting mugged or whatever everyone goes on about. It's fine, just don't be a retard. Saw someone get "mugged" right in front of me but they fully deserved it, standing next to a cash machine blatantly counting out their money. I felt far more unsafe in that ****** Christiania town in copenhagen.

How on earth did you feel unsafe in Copenhage?!?

Got back from Barca last night and I'm glad to say that, as I expected, we had no problems with pick pockets/muggings etc.

Our hotel was pretty near the Ramblas, along a rather narrow and shady lane/alley so common sense dictated we avoided returning to the hotel that way at night and took the longer but busier/more open route.

There were buskers on the trains to and from the airport but they were actually very polite and didn't bother you if you didn't want to give them money and the guys on the Ramblas etc were also reasonably polite, we were asked once or twice if we wanted to buy any drugs but most of the sellers seemed to take a non-aggressive approach to selling their wares.

It might not be the nicest way to look at things but there was plenty of other people making themselves easier targets as regards bags and cameras so I think a bit of common/street sense and you'll be absolutely fine.

Back