Critique Barley field - can't make up my mind if I like it or not, thoughts?

I like the color and the lines of the tractor, the sky is interesting. The silhouettes of the three trees are nicely placed within the frame. But for me it lacks a real focal point. The tractor tracks lead the eye in, but to what? the upper level of the sky is much better than the horizon which is where your eyes are led. Also the tracks or the place where your eye is drawn to is to close to the edge of the frame. Maybe a re-visit when the barley has ripened to a golden brown and the sky has more color would improve thins a lot IMHO. (y)

This is winter wheat if it matters, I guess near Kildale or Great Ayton?
It would look much better if the oak trees were lit by last bit of sun.
Good spot to check if you can catch the combine swaths or baled straw at evening light - at least a month yet by the look of it.

May have cropped the picture so that the right hand track leads from the bottom corner, I wonder if you thought the same but chose to go halfway between?
Having had a bit of a play with colour and other processing alternatives, I soon realised the possibilities were endless.

Excellent shot.

Last edited:

Cool composition Lyle!
My issue is the overall tonal balance in
the picture… the field is too bright for
the light conditions!

As a big fan of landscapes with trees in fields I like the photo a lot.

I am intrigued by Kodiak'd comment (I often am :)) regarding the field is too bright for the light conditions. Have you played with it much in PP? As a beginner I am really interested in how shots have been taken and then processed..

I am intrigued by Kodiak'd comment (I often am)

Sorry Trevor but English is not my language and
I am very lousy at times to translate my thoughts.

If the field is right, than the tree is wrong (I doubt it)!
The scene is backlit so the hills and the field are,
in my understanding of light, too bright.

I like this overall. Joe Cornish's version has the tractor line coming in from the right hand side and is portrait format, which I think works better. I also agree with the comment that the field is a little over bright for my tastes.

Thanks for coming back to me, I understand where you are coming from. Something else for me to consider when looking at photos ..

Joe Cornish's version has the tractor line coming in from the right hand side and is portrait format,

I guess that works out as less is more. However I find following another persons style very boring.

However I find following another persons style very boring.

Ho no, it is a great way to explore sometimes
but you get the full benefit of that exploration
as soon as you get out of there! ;)

I disagree I think in a lot of cases it put limits on your own creativity. I agree with Trev's comments and I can see a pleasing shot, however Lyle would be labelled as following JC.

I disagree I think in a lot of cases it put limits on your own creativity.

With that kind of thinking, you'd be a very bad teacher!

Further more…
  • anyone exploring tutorials is doing the wrong thing
  • anyone trying well known techniques is going the wrong way
…everybody should reinvent the wheel his very own way
so not to impair her/his creativity?
How you serious?… really?

Thankfully, there is something called cultural heritage that
is made available to the greater public through all kinds of
media including the internet… and we shall all ignore it as
that this is useless? …the wrong thing? … the wrong way?

All new generations built on the previous one! That is how
we got to explore Pluto, the abyss, and the ever expending
univers. Other wise, everyone would have to start
over with
each generation…

Luckily, thing are not like that otherwise you would not be
holding a camera but spitting mud or scratching coal on the
walls of some cave.

Darn, that was done already… find something else to explore
your creativity!

Last edited:
I guess that works out as less is more. However I find following another persons style very boring.

I would agree that going out and copying someone else's image seems slightly pointless, though sometimes there are only so many angles of a particular view and with the prevalence of digital photography most will have been done before. I think that even if I had not seen the JC version I would have personally preferred a portrait crop / version as I prefer portrait format landscapes. I do like this one though with the only real issue being the brightness of the vegetation and possibly the brightness of the top 1/3rd of sky above the tree.

Last edited:
I like the shot although think could be improved by either getting closer to the tree so it's more prominent and more the focus of the image or shooting it with a longer lens to compress the scene a bit more.

I like the color and the lines of the tractor, the sky is interesting. The silhouettes of the three trees are nicely placed within the frame. But for me it lacks a real focal point. The tractor tracks lead the eye in, but to what? the upper level of the sky is much better than the horizon which is where your eyes are led. Also the tracks or the place where your eye is drawn to is to close to the edge of the frame. Maybe a re-visit when the barley has ripened to a golden brown and the sky has more color would improve thins a lot IMHO. (y)

I agree, a revisit when it's golden could make all the difference so will plan that for the next few weeks - great suggestion.

This is winter wheat if it matters, I guess near Kildale or Great Ayton?
It would look much better if the oak trees were lit by last bit of sun.
Good spot to check if you can catch the combine swaths or baled straw at evening light - at least a month yet by the look of it.

Yes it was taken just near Easby and yes I will revisit again and hopefully gain some better light.

May have cropped the picture so that the right hand track leads from the bottom corner, I wonder if you thought the same but chose to go halfway between?
Having had a bit of a play with colour and other processing alternatives, I soon realised the possibilities were endless.

Excellent shot.

Thanks.

Cool composition Lyle!
My issue is the overall tonal balance in
the picture… the field is too bright for
the light conditions!

Yup agree with you Kodiak, I find the same thing - the field looks unnaturally bright (because I've brightened it up in PP) and the sky on the horizon is too harsh - despite efforts to lower brightness in it.

As a big fan of landscapes with trees in fields I like the photo a lot.

I am intrigued by Kodiak'd comment (I often am :)) regarding the field is too bright for the light conditions. Have you played with it much in PP? As a beginner I am really interested in how shots have been taken and then processed..

I've played with it lots, maybe too much now. Something just felt wrong with it and I think your comments have helped me realise the issues.

I like this overall. Joe Cornish's version has the tractor line coming in from the right hand side and is portrait format, which I think works better. I also agree with the comment that the field is a little over bright for my tastes.

Yup thanks, it was Joe's shot that gave me the inspiration for this.

I would agree that going out and copying someone else's image seems slightly pointless, though sometimes there are only so many angles of a particular view and with the prevalence of digital photography most will have been done before. I think that even if I had not seen the JC version I would have personally preferred a portrait crop / version as I prefer portrait format landscapes. I do like this one though with the only real issue being the brightness of the vegetation and possibly the brightness of the top 1/3rd of sky above the tree.

For the record I see no issue with recreating someone elses image - after all this isn't Joe's field, trees or sky ;) Individuals will always view things differently and put their mark on it. if someone was going out and recreating all of a certain photographers work then that's a bit different but the odd shot is fine, it helps photographers learn. I agree on the brightness again, although without the PP it looks very dull!

I like the shot although think could be improved by either getting closer to the tree so it's more prominent and more the focus of the image or shooting it with a longer lens to compress the scene a bit more.

Good suggestion Stuart, I felt that after the shot also - when I go back in a couple of weeks I'll give that a go also.

Thanks all, really appreciate the feedback.

I shot very similar image a'Chrulaiste few weeks ago and got similar results. I think this has potential but there are a few things holding it back for me.

#1 - The light right on thr horizon is blown out and as such you've lost detail in the sky.

#2. The central tree is a silouette as the sun is shining on it from the tear, yet the wheat is very light and has almost no shadows left in it at all. It makes the light look a bit imbalanced to me.

I think it would work really well in a portait crop from the left edge of the frame. I would definitely think it's "good" like you asked.

For the record I see no issue with recreating someone elses image - after all this isn't Joe's field, trees or sky ;) Individuals will always view things differently and put their mark on it. if someone was going out and recreating all of a certain photographers work then that's a bit different but the odd shot is fine, it helps photographers learn. I agree on the brightness again, although without the PP it looks very dull!

I didn't see this as a copy of the JC version personally as it is a different orientation and there are only so many angles this could be done from, like the Roseberry Topping Bluebells that I have loads of that are pretty much identical to ones others have done much better. I have to say this has been an interesting thread though.

Back