Barn Owl

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Gibraltar Point National Nature Reserve today and had a show off Barn Owl, didnt do well with the shots, but on the drive home saw one swooping in and out of a ditch, stopped the car rested the lens on the roof of the car and got this, was getting dark so its not the best, and is cropped a bit.

1d Mk3 and 600 F4 :)

barnowl%7E1.jpg

Maybe next time you will be more prepared to get the shot, but this is nice. The owl is beautiful. I do the same thing, pull my car over and support my camera on the top,but I still shake.

I am enjoying your gallery, and the snow leopard by Cook is breath taking! (y)

Thanks :) Gallery is shared with my brother so all the shots are by myself or him. Just wish it had been that little bit lighter they wouldnt be so noisy ! but im still chuffed with them, just need to improve on them now :)

Heres another one of the Owl

barnowl2.jpg

:clap: Yay you got one! :woot: Conrats Ian, and not half bad either (y)

not too bad but has a pinkish cast to it?? Shame the owl wasn't a little sharper..

not too bad but has a pinkish cast to it?? Shame the owl wasn't a little sharper..

Thanks Stuart, sun was setting and we had a great red sky so yes it does have a pinkish cast to it, but thats exactly how it looked. :) Yeah i wish it could have been sharper too :( it was about 100 feet away, so both are cropped quite a bit too.

Very nice, it's not very often you see them in wild.

Good capture Ian (y)

At least you managed a few shots of this beautiful bird, just wish I could have the opportunity to have a go at them in the wild.

I know it can't be helped but it's a pity about the distracting branches. With wildlife you just have to work with what turns up unless the subjest is being bated to a particular point

Lovely Ian, while not perfect, it does have that real sense of having been crept up on and 'as seen' iykwim.

Id be really chuffed with that, only seen an owl in the wild once, when I turned a corner on a country lane and this huge thing was sat at the side of the road.
I did a double take, backed up, went for the camera ... gone ... blooming typical!

Lovely Ian, while not perfect, it does have that real sense of having been crept up on and 'as seen' iykwim.

Id be really chuffed with that, only seen an owl in the wild once, when I turned a corner on a country lane and this huge thing was sat at the side of the road.
I did a double take, backed up, went for the camera ... gone ... blooming typical!

that sounds typical of me too Glo LOL thanks :)

I always think these 'natural' shots are worth 100 times more to the photographer than any 'staged' or planned shots. The satisfaction of this capture would, for me, surpass anything taken at say a falconry centre or display.
I like them and I think you have done very well under the circumstances and remember, most peeps havn't even seen an owl never mind photograph one in the wild!

well done

Heheheheh :) thanks Jo, they have Short Eared Owls there too, need to go back :) I may pop over and see you in the morning to visit your gang too :)

:clap: :clap: :woot: :woot: bet you're glad you came this morning now! :woot:

Anyone else reading this will have to wait and see, but it's not what you're expecting I'll tell you that much :D

LOL Thanks again Jo, im just about to put a couple pics up for ID checks :)

Thanks all, i am chuffed with these, they arent really sharp but with a car as a tripod with people still in it and cars going past it was never going to be perfect :)

i would be happy to get any shot hell even a look.
The in flight one although flying away is nice for the light under the wings giving detail and elegance to it.

stopped the car rested the lens on the roof of the car and got this, was getting dark so its not the best, and is cropped a bit.

Nice capture still though Ian ... (y)

Might be worthwhile keeping a bean bag in the car for such occasions ... :cautious: ... gives a little added stability and also prevents nasty canons scratching on your car roof ... :shrug:

:p

Back