Barney's 52 for 2011 - Week 4 "Open"

Name
Barnaby Jaco Skinner
Edit My Images
No
So I'm relatively new here and have an interesting year coming up so figured what better than to try a 52 to keep me focused on my photography. I'm a little nervous so here's goes nothing...:bonk:

Last edited:
Cheers Alex, it's been doing my head in all week lol!! I keep almost seeing something and then change my mind... I just need to keep telling myself it's only a bit of fun.

Anyway I'm a little less busy at work tomorrow so am taking my camera in to work, you'd have thought central London would be easy game for this theme but it's really bloody hard to be original! Maybe I'll just go with my gut...

Thanks for the motivation though, much appreciated (y)

Anyway I'm a little less busy at work tomorrow so am taking my camera in to work, you'd have thought central London would be easy game for this theme but it's really bloody hard to be original! Maybe I'll just go with my gut...

I hear you there, I was thinking the exact same thing...
Im desperate to avoid taking a picture of my flat, or centrepoint!!

lol I walked past centrepoint yesterday and managed to resist the urge... it was hard though :( TCR is now on my banned list for all future images as it's just too obvious and doesn't push me... well unless a 'technology' theme comes up ;) Good luck with your's mate!

Okay it's a little late but who's counting? ;) So after a hellish week at work and miserable weather I finally managed to nip out on my push bike with me camera yesterday afternoon. I cycled around to a nearby housing estate that I've wanted to photograph for a few years now, it's got really cool architecture but you don't want to hang around long if you catch my drift!

The only place to get 'The' photo, I've decided, is from the top of a bus shelter looking down the walkway however Sat afternoon was not the time to be trying this so that remains for another visit, maybe early doors one Sunday.

Instead I took a couple of snaps from ground level trying to capture the shape and light of the scene. I dropped it in PS, desaturated the image, pumped up the contrast and levelled to my taste. I figured I'd leave my shadow in the frame as I quite light it there although do agree it's quite distracting ;)

52_1.jpg

For what it's worth I also really like this one as well, the way the walkway draws the eyes to the centre and the guy wondering along. Hmm maybe I should choose this one instead... what you lot think?

52_1a.jpg

Now on to week 2 "New" whilst the sun's out!

Cheers

Barney

So having had the day to wonder about NW London I settled on trying to find something interestingly "New" in Fortune Green Cemetery. 4 hours later and a dejected Barney wondered home empty handed :(

On route however I noticed that this semi-smashed window hadn't been there last time I walked by, so as far as I'm concerned that's "New" :)

52_2.jpg

I took the shot because I liked the slight reflection of the houses in the window, I liked the pretty horrible colours of the blinds and tiling and I liked the fact some shop front glass-fitting company had stuck on their business cards lol :) I've always liked interesting shop fronts/windows/doorways so this ticked the box for me.

As an added brucie bonus I took the pic with a "New" lens I acquired from a family friend last night, a 25 year old Nikon 'Series E' 50mm f1.8 manual jobbie :) If anyone's interested it matches my 50mm f1.4G for sharpness :eek:

Not sure about the tile pattern running across the bottom of the image though...

And relax :)

Style

So for week 3 I snapped this pink graffiti stencil of a notorious fox just up the road from me. It's stylish in a design sense and I really like the bright pink paint against the grubby white tiles and gritty, dirty paving stones. I agree it's not a particularly pleasant scene to look at but then I quite like that, I like the fact it makes me recoil a little bit. Takes all sorts I guess :bonk:

5361423279_f8919fba0d_b.jpg

Direct link here.

My only gripe are the diagonal lines as I'm a bit OCD about straightness but it was a REALLY busy time of day and I had to grab the shot when I could, Londoners don't like to be held up lol. So I thought I'd go back and try again today but alas the art has been removed :*(

Looking forward to week 4 (y)

Hiya Barney

Sorry I seem to have missed your thread, so will do a quick catch up of the three weeks.

Week 1: I prefer the second image of the two because it has more atmosphere with the shadows

Week 2: I think the folk need a New window too. Great take on the theme.

Week 3: I really like this image, and the pink fox definitely livens up the place.

Well done and I look forward to seeing your week 4.

Cheers

Dawn :)

I really like your fox shot!

looks like he's trying to escape the grime and dirt, but he's very stylishly pink which I adore!!!!

great capture! :)

That really is a striking photo and i like the fact that you have captured the fox to the left of the shot so you get the feeling that he has ran from the right. Very different, nice capture (y)

Hi Barney. I am loving image 1 of week one. It is spot on theme and the shadows are great.
Week 2, i can see your take on the idea but to be honest nothing about the pic grabs me- sorry.
Week 3, is brill. the composition is great.
Looking forward to your next 49

Hi again all :wave:

First thanks loads for the comments above about all me pics so far, I've taken them all on board and am glad you all like/dislike them for your different reasons (y)

Personally I think my fox shot is my best yet but seeing as we're only on week 4 I'm hoping to top it at some point, not this week though ;) I agree about getting a lower angle to the fox but the floor was SERIOUSLY nasty, my wife was waiting impatiently for me and I had my work clothes on lol! Wish Camden council hadn't white washed the art so quickly :*(

So on to week 4, 'Open'...

5388176009_293d7d26b5_b.jpg

3200, 1/125, f2.8 handheld with a D700 & 80-200.

A mobile Nutella stall outside Baker Street tube station this evening, it was about the only thing 'open' since it was pishing down and very cold! The tourists seemed to like it and I thought in honour of the poor lass holed up inside this would make my week 4.

I liked the scene because although there's lots going on around the stall in the dark that's not important, it's what's going on inside this girls little bubble that's the focus, it's about the girl and her life, her moment in time if you will. I've tried to set the exposure to show this thought.

As always I'm keen to hear what you peeps think!

Cheers, Barney.

nb I think this image might look better with a totally black background as it helps the eyes naturally focus on the stall, this link kinda shows what I mean...

Hi mate... Like your week 3 and 4 piucs a lot. I dont think you could do much to improve 4 ... maybe get a little closer in and to the left... with a slightly wider field of view to make a little more of the stall... and put the bus in the top right third... I'm not explaining myself too well... but I know what I mean in my mind and hope you understand too...

Mark

Back