Beginner Basic cleaning

Edit My Images
No
Happy New Year folks

I've recently found time to get back into casual photography and I'm looking for some advice please.

I'll apologise if this has been covered before but when I had a look previously I couldn’t see anything although it's bound to have been asked before.

Apologies again for the lack of technical terms - I’m still learning! The camera in question is a Nikon D3300.

I went to take a photo the other day and I noticed a massive black spec on the viewfinder. After cleaning the viewfinder the mark was still there. On carrying out a bit of homework I bought an air blower to clean the mirror/prism mirror which got rid of the spot. The large particle was no longer present but unfortunately I now have several smaller blemishes/hairs showing on the viewfinder. The photos taken continue to be fine.

Given my inexperience as these marks are only visible on the viewfinder, not the photos, I do not think there is any issue with the camera sensor which is a major relief. I’m about 90% certain that the blemishes are on a mirror/mirrors.

The million pound question is what cleaning is next? There are loads of videos out there stating you can use a lens brush or cotton bud on the mirrors. Contrary to this there are loads of videos stating that under no circumstances should you clean the mirrors whatsoever given their fragile nature.

Happy enough to purchase a lens cleaning brush to try myself but obviously don’t want to ruin the mirrors.

Appreciate a lot of people will say simply "Ignore this" but as I’m sure everyone on here will relate to it’s really annoying. Sending the camera away really isn’t really economically viable given the quotes I’ve received both for posting the camera and for the work.

So to dust with a lens brush or not?

What is the consensus?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to read and/or reply.

I must say that yes, it's really, really annoying, to but I'm not too sure that there's anything more you can do. I had a hair showing in my view finder for a couple of years (it's still there) then I changed my camera (not because of the hair). I think I'd it's really, really annoying then you would have to send the camera off to be serviced and cleaned (which probably wouldn't be very cost effective).

The good news is that the bits that really need cleaning as they affect image quality are relatively easy to clean.

The bad news is that dirt that doesn’t affect image quality, really gets on your nerves. And worse, it’s nigh on impossible to clean.

Short of sending it away to be dismantled, you can’t do much more than a rocket blower in the mirror box/ focus screen/ prism area. Unless you have a removable focus screen (you don’t) where there’s a tiny bit more you can do.

DO NOT USE A BRUSH. you will damage the focusing screen or mirror.

If a blower doesn’t shift it then take it to somebody to have it cleaned. As the photos are fine, the dust or hair is either on the focusing screen the mirror or the prism and you can’t bush either of those.

Thank you all for your replies.

Message received. I will not brush the mirrors. My worry was buying a specalist brush, but still damaging the mirrors in the process. A repair bill or replacement camera is simply out of reach just now what with the cost of living etc. Why do you think there are there so many "Advice" sites out there suggesting to clean the focusing screen/mirrors?

Further to the replies received; the air blower that I have appears, to my eyes at least, to be adequate. Would it be worth upgrading to a more expensive one? Are they justifiable? Do they provide a stronger "Puff" and are the ones with air filters included worth it or is that just a gimmick? Don't want to throw money at this if it's a lost cause. If the more expensive ones do live up to the hype can anyone list their preferences or post a link?

The only other question I have relating to cleaning, for future reference, is how to clean the sensor? Again there is a lot of conflicting advice out there so wanted to check with real people. Is there a certain technique & is there a good self cleaning kit available on the market? All suggestions greatfully received.

As always thanks to everyone for their time!

Back