Basic/Essential equipment for dslr's?

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I'm getting a dslr for christmas, I think I'm going to get the Olympus e510.
What are the basic/essential pieces of equipment?

Thanks. (y)

It depends on what you are planning to shoot and the lens/lenses you are planning to get with it really.

Personally my essentials would be lens hood, tripod, flash in that order, but others may well have different ideas.

A bag. Though a basic one might do to start off with (I got one for £10 in Currys that holds camera with kit lens, spare lens, flash and other bits and pieces).

Memory card - cheaper online than in camera shops. (You may also need a memory card reader, I got mine online for about £4.)

I also got a cleaning cloth and UV filter for kit lens (though some say you don't need one).

I've been borrowing a tripod (still to buy my own), and have bought a 50mm 1.8 prime and a flash.

I got mine for Christmas too - a month ago! An early Christmas present. :D

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely be getting a tripod, bag and memory card. I might have to save up for a flash, they're pretty expensive. :LOL:

Thanks again! (y)

A decent bag would definitely be my first suggestion, always worth keeping it safe. Id recommend looking at the slingshot bags, much comfier than a shoulder bag yet you can access your camera just as quick.

Remote shutter release.. always handy. Either wireless (something like the RF-602) or wired (one of the Phottix timed release models).

Lucky bugger! :LOL:
I know! Very good of them. :D

I had planned to save up for the flash too - but I wanted to get indoor people shots at Christmas events (my other hobby is dancing) so thought I'd just go for it now and be able to start using it.

Not long til Christmas now :D - enjoy your new camera when you get it!

Thanks everyone. (y)
I had to google some of the things mentioned, I had no idea what they were. :LOL:

Bare minimum:
Body + (Kit) lens + Memory Card

Probably pretty handy:

Case
Spare battery
Lens cloth

Would be nice:
Flashgun
Grip
Tripod + Head

I've not mentioned lenses, as it'll depend what you want to photo.

Bare minimum:
Body + (Kit) lens + Memory Card

Probably pretty handy:

Case
Spare battery
Lens cloth

Would be nice:
Flashgun
Grip
Tripod + Head

I've not mentioned lenses, as it'll depend what you want to photo.

Thanks, that's brilliant!:notworthy::notworthy:

Remember too if you're going to buy your memory card online make sure you do that before you get the camera, as you'll want to play with your new toy as soon as you get the battery charged up!

Remember too if you're going to buy your memory card online make sure you do that before you get the camera, as you'll want to play with your new toy as soon as you get the battery charged up!

Yes, will do. Thanks. (y)(y)
I'm really excited. :D

Bare minimum:
Body + (Kit) Lens + Memory Card (4GB minimum size)

Essentials
Spare battery or two
Case
Rocket blower
Lens pen or cloth

Almost essential
Tripod + Head
remote release
Spare memory cards

Handy to have
Flash gun
rechargeable batteries for flash gun
processing software, ie Adobe elements/photoshop/lightroom
Photo printer

After Camera, Lens and Memory Card, I still believe a lens hood should be next.

Bare minimum:
Body + (Kit) Lens + Memory Card (4GB minimum size)

Essentials
Spare battery or two
Case
Rocket blower
Lens pen or cloth

Almost essential
Tripod + Head
remote release
Spare memory cards

Handy to have
Flash gun
rechargeable batteries for flash gun
processing software, ie Adobe elements/photoshop/lightroom
Photo printer

Thanks, that's great. (y)

my essentials would be a Nikon D3 body :)

some cleaning stuff like a cloth for the lens.

Buy less than more, otherwise you will end up like me with 4 bags and all sorts of other unused kit.

Oh yes - a computer to download pictures and a back up drive to save them to

Screen Protectors are cheap and essential in my opinion, means if you upgrade you will be able to list as mint and no scratches to screens (y)

Last edited:
Screen Protectors are cheap and essential in my opinion, means if you upgrade you will be able to list as mint and no scratches to screens (y)

Don't know about the cheaper cameras, but I struggled to find any scratches on my D3 bodies' screens after nearly nine months in Afghanistan - six with me and three with the previous photographer there...:shrug:

Nikon used to supply them - now they don't...I don't think they're needed for the new polycarbonate screens.

Don't know about the cheaper cameras, but I struggled to find any scratches on my D3 bodies' screens after nearly nine months in Afghanistan - six with me and three with the previous photographer there...:shrug:

Nikon used to supply them - now they don't...I don't think they're needed for the new polycarbonate screens.

You are probably right, but I have everything electrical except my TV screen protected. My camera has the stick on screen protectors and the plastic click on one, maybe ott but I don't think it hurts.

Did you keep the plastic clip on screen protector on the D3's in Afghanistan Rob? I guess if it was loaned gear I would maybe think differently and throw caution to the wind.

All of the above mentioned should get you going! Enjoy your new toy when it arrives :)

im having to curb my enthusiasm for photography for now. shame but have other priorities :(

Back