Basic SLR for my father

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
My father's 80th is coming up soon, and although we know what we are buying for him as a main present, he has been hinting that he would like a "nice" camera, as he does a lot of walking in the countryside.
He does not want a digital, because he is not that good on a PC.
I initially thought about a compact 35mm, but he wants something with a decent lens.
With that in mind, the brief is as follows:
35mm SLR. No messing with light meters, or anything too complicated. Possibly a modern camera, which can be put on "auto" for someone who is not technically minded.
As a starter, I have been looking at the Minolta300si, because I have quite a few lenses which would fit, and could make up a two lens kit for him.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers.

why not consider a Bridge camera- fixed lens , but halfway between a Compact point and shoot to a full blown DSLR-

I owned a fuji finepix for years cracking camera

Les (y)

why not consider a Bridge camera- fixed lens , but halfway between a Compact point and shoot to a full blown DSLR-

I owned a fuji finepix for years cracking camera

Les (y)

Do they make them for 35mm film though Les?

Ah sorry NO- I must have mis-read your post Andy

Just lend him your SONY :LOL::LOL:

Les :D

I would have thought that a good quality "bridge" camera is what is needed. These would be digital. If you are concerned about ease of use you could always get a dedicated printer so your father can print off all of the images on the card in one go, a bit like film.

Andy, have you thought about a Nikon EM, small light and aperture priority only and with the Nikkor e series 50mm pancake lens very good IQ.

You can find good one,s with ER case for about £30.00.

Last edited:
Pentax MZ-whatever or Minolta Dynax whatever for AF and auto modes,

Pentax ME for straight Aperture priority no messing but manual focus.

****35mm SLR. No messing with light meters, or anything too complicated. Possibly a modern camera, which can be put on "auto" for someone who is not technically minded.****

Well the Canon T70 should be considered.... WHY?
1.Built in winder
2.Shutter priority, program or manual
3. when lens set to auto if you have selected the wrong shutter speed for the light conditions, the camera will correct...called safety shift
4. M42 and Tamron adapters no problem.
5. Very cheap to buy from £15 upwards
6. Just uses two AA batteries
7. The 277t flash gun is cheap and VG.

Well I have two and more info in this link, and don't worry about all the tech stuff just choose a shutter speed set the lens on auto and away you go:-

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm

Some good suggestions there, particularly the cameras which I have never used, like the T70 and Nikons.
I have various bodies, but they are either fully manual (Spotmatic, Nikkormat FTn, Zenith), or too complicated (Minolta 7000).
I have a Minolta 5000, but it is a bit tatty, so would not consider it.

Some good suggestions there, particularly the cameras which I have never used, like the T70 and Nikons.
I have various bodies, but they are either fully manual (Spotmatic, Nikkormat FTn, Zenith), or too complicated (Minolta 7000).
I have a Minolta 5000, but it is a bit tatty, so would not consider it.

Erm I forgot to add the T70 is manual focus, maybe your father just wants AF.

I think that maybe an F5 would be a bit expensive for an extra prezzie and also probably a bit too heavy and complicated for an 80 year old who doesn't have a great degree of knowledge about cameras....:LOL:

Andy

Still think that an old/new stock F65 with a nice zoom would be perfect.(y)

I would have thought that a good quality "bridge" camera is what is needed. These would be digital. If you are concerned about ease of use you could always get a dedicated printer so your father can print off all of the images on the card in one go, a bit like film.

If he doesn't live near enough so that you can print them off, the printer idea would probably be best.

You just stick the sd card into them and they print the pics.

Or he can take them to supermarkets/Boots etc who will print them off for them.

How much you looking to spend?

ooh I've got it - an OM101! Horrible, horrible camera by most standards but my be just the thing in this case.

So you did think about a compact - whatabout

Contax TVS /T2 / G1 ? Maybe small but pack a punch quality wise. smaller enough to carry about too especially for an octogenrian.

Minolta Dynax 5 - can be got for about £30 - £40 on ebay with a 28 - 80 zoom and has all modes from fully automatic right down to manual as well as a whole lot of other useful features should your dad ever feel like learning more. The metering is great and usually does a great job even in difficult situations. Its small and light as well.

Plus as their only 10 years old or so their more likely to be in good condition and last.

I just spotted this on the the Bay. It is early in the morning, and my eyes may not be seeing things quite right.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINOLTA-D...ps=63&clkid=1655089211455706148&_qi=RTM742992

What is happening there? Someone has made an offer for it, do they think it is a DSLR?

£425???????????

A Dynax 7 or 9 sells for less than that! Someone's trying to get money for something thats worth no where near that price, with the 70 - 210 zoom and the flash, perhaps £100 but nowhere near that price!

Personally I'd recommend one of the later Canon EOS range as they're easy to use (with full auto modes, scene modes etc) and they're light weight (which I would have thought was useful for an 80year old going walking.
So something like an EOS 300 or 500 with the kit lens (28-80mm if I remember rightly), which should be £30ish on ebay.

I've got a minolta dynax 404si which is surplus to requirements. Standard 24-80 minolta lens on it (24-70 can't remember which) Fetching shade of silver too! Much simpler than the dynax 7 which I also have and a lot lighter.

Just a quick update. I have received today a little package in the post. I bid on EBay and won a little Minolta Dynax 300si for the princely sum of 99p plus £4 postage!
It is in mint condition, boxed, with a lens (which is faulty), strap and full instructions. I have fitted a 35 - 70 f4 (mini beercan), and will put a film through it just to geive it the once over.
If the camera works OK, then the lens will add the finishing touch.
Thanks for all your suggestions, it really got me looking.

Andy

A fitting end to this story. My father has his camera with a few films, decent lens and a holdall. He is as happy as Larry, and cannot wait to use it. I did put a film through it, and it seemed fine, accurate metering and the AF is nice and fast. The menu system seems easy and sensible and the built in flash works. I am now just keeping my fingers crossed for his first results.
Cheers folks.

Back