Bats & Flash

cosmix3

David Sullivan
Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Been on a workshop today learning how to use Fill Flash, and we had quite a hard subject, Bats in Flight, here are some of my shots.

Bat_9814.jpg

Bat_9846.jpg

Bat_9880.jpg

Bat_9901.jpg

Thanks for looking

Those are very cool aren't they. Pretty good excercise to work with there.

The look that bat's wearing in no.3 is priceless. :clap:

Those are awesome mate. As said before, that is one funny expression on the 3rd bats face:D
Dean:)

These are superb! #2 for composition #3 for that expression!

Wonderful!

How on earth did you manage to get shots like that? They are pretty amazing. Superb. (y)

Thanks all,

Must admit I quite like the expression on No. 3

Those are very cool aren't they. Pretty good excercise to work with there.

The look that bat's wearing in no.3 is priceless. :clap:

Those are awesome mate. As said before, that is one funny expression on the 3rd bats face:D
Dean:)

Great shots it's No. 3 for me. Well done

These are superb! #2 for composition #3 for that expression!

Wonderful!

How on earth did you manage to get shots like that? They are pretty amazing. Superb. (y)

Thanks,

It wasent easy, took plenty of practice to get the timming right.

Having tried to get bats myself, my hat goes off to you cause they are hard to get and you have caught these superbly.
Very very nice shots.

Excellent shots mate number 3 is great looks like he's going on a kamikaze raid lol. Been meaning to try get some bat shots myself as there are quite a few flying around the pathway I walk the dog on but not until quite late at night. They usually fly about head height and swoop past me but I've never given it ago yet theres quite often groups of teens walking down there drinking so not to keen on carrying the camera with me one night I'll give it ago.

My main concern is getting them in focus in such low light as it theres no street lighting and its fairly dark when i go out I can usually just see their silhouettes coming at me and tips?.

Sean

BL**Dy Cracking shots man! Great set.

Thanks all.

Those are crazy, excellent series (y)

Wow great stuff :clap:

Having tried to get bats myself, my hat goes off to you cause they are hard to get and you have caught these superbly.
Very very nice shots.

BL**Dy Cracking shots man! Great set.

Really good images ! That bat in #3 must go to a very good dentist, i always thought they had fang type teeth, his are perfect. Keep snapping.

Sturdy tripod, cable release, Manual focus, and lots of paitents,
Focused on an object they would fly past then just trial and error to get the timming right for the shot, not easy but very possible and worth while.

Excellent shots mate number 3 is great looks like he's going on a kamikaze raid lol. Been meaning to try get some bat shots myself as there are quite a few flying around the pathway I walk the dog on but not until quite late at night. They usually fly about head height and swoop past me but I've never given it ago yet theres quite often groups of teens walking down there drinking so not to keen on carrying the camera with me one night I'll give it ago.

My main concern is getting them in focus in such low light as it theres no street lighting and its fairly dark when i go out I can usually just see their silhouettes coming at me and tips?.

Sean

Sturdy tripod, cable release, Manual focus, and lots of paitents,
Focused on an object they would fly past then just trial and error to get the timming right for the shot, not easy but very possible and worth while.

Thanks for the tips mate appreciated (y) not to sure when I'll get the chance to try them will have to hit lucky and find a night with decent weather and no bloody drunk kids around.

Thanks for the tips mate appreciated (y) not to sure when I'll get the chance to try them will have to hit lucky and find a night with decent weather and no bloody drunk kids around.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing the results.

These shots are simply superb, well done (y)

Steve

Well done (y) I know how hard this is.
I have tried loads of times but not got anywhere near yours #3 & #4 (y)
( mind you it does look hard work on the bats part #3 really looks like its straining :D)

Well done (y) I know how hard this is.
I have tried loads of times but not got anywhere near yours #3 & #4 (y)
( mind you it does look hard work on the bats part #3 really looks like its straining :D)

Thanks, They were giving there all poor things :LOL:

A fantastic set of shots. Full marks for your patience. We have bats flying around our garden but I wouldn't be patient enough to catch them. Our cat was though, and he brought one in - cute little things really.

A fantastic set of shots. Full marks for your patience. We have bats flying around our garden but I wouldn't be patient enough to catch them. Our cat was though, and he brought one in - cute little things really.

Thanks, agree they are quite cute, but have been given a bad rep by Holywood...

Fantastic shots - I'm well impressed knowing how difficult it is to catch bats. What species are they, do you know?

Presumably you don't really mean fill flash looking at your shutter speed and assuming it was fairly dark?

Excellent!

Google Merlin Tuttle and/or Bat Conservation International for more bat photos.

Fantastic shots - I'm well impressed knowing how difficult it is to catch bats. What species are they, do you know?

Presumably you don't really mean fill flash looking at your shutter speed and assuming it was fairly dark?

Thanks,

My mistake was on a Fill Flash workshop doing this and other animals that were done using fill. The Bats were Fruit Bats.

Excellent!

Google Merlin Tuttle and/or Bat Conservation International for more bat photos.

Thanks, will have a look.

Last edited:
Wow, amazing shots (y)

Back