Wild Bats

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Over the last few weeks we have been getting Bats flying over the garden, normally only lasts about 15 mins before they move on. The roost is nowhere near and I've been keeping the flash on 1/8th power and only trying every other evening so as not to stress them. Has anyone else tried, these are worse to get in flight than Swallows and factor in the dark it's even more of a challenge. The approach so far has been to prefocus the lens on something about 12ft away, ISO800, 1/250th Flash (YN560) on 1/8th power. With the 7D2 set to silent shutter it knocks the speed down to 5fps which the flash can keep up with for short bursts. These aren't great but I'm getting there. I took these last night, then turned off the camera and watched them for about another 10 mins.

Bat3 by Simon Bool, on Flickr

Bat2 by Simon Bool, on Flickr

Bat1 by Simon Bool, on Flickr

Nice set especially the 2nd one, looks like the little fella was posing for you. also thanks for sharing the details off how you managed to capture these shots.

Likewise we see them in our backyard for 15 - 20 minutes and they are bloody quick hence I've not even tried to attempt to get a photo f them.

Thanks, it was the only way I thought I would be in with a chance, AF doesn't work in the dark and there's not a lot of point in holding the camera up to my eye either, so I just try and aim it at where the bat is and hope. I get a fair few black shots :)

Very interesting photos Simon as I also get bats every night just as it's getting dark. There only ever seem to be 2 of them for some reason, but I hadn't even thought of photographing them due to their speed and sudden change of direction. I'm just wondering how much more of a crop the photos would take before losing detail?

Very interesting photos Simon as I also get bats every night just as it's getting dark. There only ever seem to be 2 of them for some reason, but I hadn't even thought of photographing them due to their speed and sudden change of direction. I'm just wondering how much more of a crop the photos would take before losing detail?
I am pushing these to the max at the moment, these are an improvement on the first go, there's a fair way to go yet :)

Attachments

• batcrop.JPG
    batcrop.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Simon, I thought you were probably pushing them as far as you could.

Well done and thanks for sharing. I have a 10min window every night at dusk so will give it a go tomorrow night.
What lens are these shot with Simon pls?

I'm really impressed with your results. I hadn't thought of flash before, but am definitely going to give it a go myself. We have lots of bats every night outside my flat (had one in the stair one night too) and a couple at the office too. Just wondering what the neighbours will make of the flashes.

Cool strategy, brilliant captures!

Excellent set Simon especially the speed they can travel,you seemed to have nailed it with these,very well done.
GEORGE.

Very nice, you've done really well. Just popped on to see if there were any BaIF shots.

Tried last night whilst I was waiting for the local fox. Sat up against the oak tree, I had the 300mm + 1.4tc on and yongnuo flash with the better beamer. Aimed at one of the branches about 10ft away and manually focused.

Best of the night lol (definitely work in progress!) :-

DSC_1032.jpg

Very nice, you've done really well. Just popped on to see if there were any BaIF shots.

Tried last night whilst I was waiting for the local fox. Sat up against the oak tree, I had the 300mm + 1.4tc on and yongnuo flash with the better beamer. Aimed at one of the branches about 10ft away and manually focused.

Best of the night lol (definitely work in progress!) :-

View attachment 71075
I've got a hell of a lot of photos like that too :)

Another vote of thanks for sharing the technique and also one of grats,really wonderful !! Simon would it be feasible to use a larger lens or do you feel that might make getting them in frame impossible. Frankly i'm stunned you got this far. i'm often amazed by the ingenuity of wildlife togs,this is one of those moments,many thanks for sharing. Ahh Wez your pic made me smile,I wouldn't have even got the leaves sharp so fair play:D

Great stuff Simon !!!!!

take care

Stu

Back