Batteries and the "ah" meaning

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a noob question this but I`m in need of a replacement battery, Nikon prices are silly at best, so, I`m looking at getting something different.
The battery I`m replacing is a EN-EL3e for a D300 (newly acquired) this takes a 7.4v 1500ah battery as standard but if I look at other makes they are normally lots higher in the ah, like 1600ah or even 2000ah.
My question is, are they safe to use on this old box that I just got? I mean, I dont want the electrics to go pop in the old D300, As long as its 7.4v its safe, right ?

Third party batteries will be fine the only issue is that they may last longer lol.

Correct, as long as the voltage is the same its fine.
The larger the AH number the longer it takes to discharge.

Correct, as long as the voltage is the same its fine.
The larger the AH number the longer it takes to discharge.
ah (no pun intended) thats what I thought.
Thanks..

As long as its 7.4v its safe, right ?

Bien sûr!

Here, 7,4V is the nominal voltage value. Given some
tolerance accepted in modern electronics, this value
may be rounded a bit… but your approach keeps you
on the very safe side.

"ah" or "ampère/heure" is the capacity of cells or battery
of cells to perform at a given tension (V) during a given
time. The greater the number, the more energy it contains.

I suspect the numbers you are reading will be mAh and not Ah. A 2000Ah battery would be huge.

Basically the mAh rating is the capacity of the battery. The higher the number the more charge it can hold and the longer it will last.

I suspect the numbers you are reading will be mAh and not Ah. A 2000Ah battery would be huge.

Basically the mAh rating is the capacity of the battery. The higher the number the more charge it can hold and the longer it will last.
Yes you are right, mah is the wording, it is Friday after all so im allowed to make errors.

Bien sûr!

Here, 7,4V is the nominal voltage value. Given some
tolerance accepted in modern electronics, this value
may be rounded a bit… but your approach keeps you
on the very safe side.

"ah" or "ampère/heure" is the capacity of cells or battery
of cells to perform at a given tension (V) during a given
time. The greater the number, the more energy it contains.
Thanks Daniel.

Milli-amp hours I believe, it's how much power the battery stores.

Thanks all for the replies and you answers have helped me.
A simple enquiry but not everyone has the knowledge.
Thanks again to all.

Non, juste une petit Sangria, apres une Beer, cet soir, vin rouge :beer:

Une petite Sangria? …bonne idée mais ce sera
deux ou trois pour t'accompagner durant ta bière
et je serai partant avec toi pour le petit rouge! :D

Third party batteries will have exaggerated capacities for sure, usually easily spotted by being significantly lighter in weight where there's just a teeny cell inside the casing surrounded by air!

Third party batteries will have exaggerated capacities for sure, usually easily spotted by being significantly lighter in weight where there's just a teeny cell inside the casing surrounded by air!

Not all of them. An increase of 100 or 200 mAh is quite possible but I'd definitely steer clear of any battery that claims hugely increased capacities.

There was me thinking the ah is a rating of how cute the batteries look. :)

there are a lot of fake en-el3 batteries out there so be careful.
I bought a nikon battery grip mb-d10 . Then added a BL-3 battery chamber cover. with these you can add an en-el4a battery that is 2500mAh. of course a different battery charger needed as an MH-21 charger

2zzkhfk.jpg

So inside the camera is the EN-el 3e and in the grip in the picture the en el-4a will increases the FPS rate as well up to 8 FPS

Iif you find the rubber camera grip with the red strip below the front wheel gets loose it is due to sweat from the hands, it happened on mine.

There are replacement covers but to remove that one, right up inside the enel3e battery chamber there is a screw to be undone first. It is a very small cross headed screw that need a magnetic screwdriver to remove and replace safely. I had to do mine. The resin used to stick it with breaks down after a time. I didn't remove the resin just put the new grip over the resin and you couldn't tell the difference from new.

f3anix.jpg

Last edited:
Back