Batteries .... Rechargeable or not?

Edit My Images
Yes
When you have something like a flashgun

That EATS AA batteries

Do you go for rechargeable batteries , or good quality batteries ?

I don't fancy having to buy a 4 pack every time I use my flash

Always rechargeable unless in emergency you need the normal ones. I use Eneloop ones which hold charge well when not in use.

I got mine from amazon. Search for Eneloop on the forum and you will find other suggestions like the 7 day shop good to go ones.

Amazon and umpteen other places! Sanyo's Eneloops were the first low discharge batteries to reach the market, and were the only ones for a while, but there are alternatives now. You can find suppliers and reviews on the internet.

I'd probably just go for the Eneloops. Excellent performance, reliable and readily available.

Back in the day I was told that rechargeable have a lower internal resistance (?) and because of this flash recharge times are quicker - never tested this.

Eneloops as above recommended. There are enhanced Eneloops XX now (black bodies) never tried them.

As above, rechargeable batteries with a pack of normal batteries as emergency spares...

I've got a bunch of the 7dayshop own brand 2900Mah AA batteries and they last a long time and refresh quickly allowing for multiple shots. I got around 800 shots out of a fully charged set before the refresh rate went down too far and they don't seem to lose much charge when left stood. The wife had a set in her flash for over 6 months and they still had plenty of power left in them. At the price they cost you can't really go wrong but you will need a good charger for them. I've got a couple of Vapex chargers off ebay and they are superb for charging these batts.

I have 3 flashes and the wife has another so we always carry plenty of spare sets with us as well, I've just got a set of 7dayshop AAA's for use with my EOS M camera flash which takes 2 of them at a time and will also charge in the same chargers.

Last edited:
Hi, I use "Duracell" rechargeable and have had no problems with any of them.

I use the 7 Day shop 'Good To Go' eneloop style rechargeables - do the job fine, cheep enough to have a full set of spares, which hold their charge just fine.

Think I'll go with the 7 day shop

Any recommendation on intelligent chargers ?

do they still do non-rechargeables? Those should be banned by some green regulations if they are not.
Agree

But at the same time you can argue normal batteries can be recycled

...but the electricity you use to charge rechargeables up consumes fossil fuels ...

Last edited:
Agree

But at the same time you can argue normal batteries can be recycled

...but the electricity you use to charge rechargeables up consumes fossil fuels ...

Do you not use electricity to manufacture disposables? It think a lot more than simply charging them up

Think I'll go with the 7 day shop

Slightly false economy though when you can have Duracell or Sanyo Eneloops for between £1 and £2 more (and taking 7DS postage into account, more like the same price or cheaper) from Amazon.

And to manufacture rechargeables too...

But it's neither here nor there I suppose

But rechargeables are only made once and serve ~ 5 years, so overall the benefits are clear.

And to manufacture rechargeables too...

But it's neither here nor there I suppose

There is a huge difference in environmental impact between disposables and rechargeables.

For example:

For 1 kWh of energy produced, rechargeable batteries have:

23 times less potential impact on non-renewable natural resources

This indicator translates the decreasing availability of natural resources. Rechargeable batteries consume up to 23 times less non-renewable natural resources (fossil and mineral) than disposable batteries. To provide the same amount of energy, more disposable batteries are needed than rechargeable batteries. This implies a greater consumption of natural resources.

28 times less potential impact on climate change

Climate change means an increase in the average temperature of the earth’s surface caused by an increase in the greenhouse gas effect.
Rechargeable batteries have up to 28 times less impact on climate warming than disposable batteries. This ratio can mainly be explained by the impact caused when manufacturing disposable batteries and distributing them (transportation in trucks and the related greenhouse gas emissions).

30 times less potential impact on air pollution (ozone pollution)

Photochemical oxidation is responsible for peaks of ozone and emissions of compounds toxic to man. Rechargeable batteries have up to 30 times less impact on ozone pollution than disposable batteries.

9 times less potential impact on air acidification

The air acidification indicator consists in the accumulation of acidifying substances in the atmosphere particules. Deposited in ecosystems by rain, they have a strong impact on soil and ecosystems. Rechargeable batteries have up to 9 times less impact on air acidification than disposable batteries.

12 times less potential impact on water pollution

The sedimentary ecotoxicity indicator evaluates potential toxic risks due to the emission of chemicals into aquatic ecosystems. Rechargeable batteries have up to 12 times less potential toxic risks for fresh water and sea water sediments.

[q uote="dinorock, post: 5985913, member: 8390"]they are 1900mah you should read my earlier post 2000 minimum hth mike[/quote]

Right ok, off to amazon I go

Are AA and AAA rechargeables now the full 1.5 volts needed or are they still mostly a pathetic 1.2 volts which is useless in many items? A lot of them last a fraction of the time of proper batteries. I've gone back to real ones for some uses.

Rechargeables seem to work really well in flashguns though.

Are AA and AAA rechargeables now the full 1.5 volts needed or are they still mostly a pathetic 1.2 volts which is useless in many items? A lot of them last a fraction of the time of proper batteries. I've gone back to real ones for some uses.

Rechargeable are still nominally 1.2v (though there are also NiZn 1.6v rechargeables). I haven't found a single item where good Eneloop technology rechargeable batteries don't out-perform disposables.

i see you say there ok for flashguns though which is exactly what the op wants them for.(y) also its the mah that matters and in this case bigger is better mine are 2700mah and last all night at partys /christenings etc cheers mike

top left of the eneloop packaging they are 1800mah please keep checking before you buy cheers mike

It says in the listing they are 2000

4 x AA SANYO ENELOOP 2000 mAh 1800 CHARGE CYCLES LOW SELF DISCHARGE NiMH RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES

Last edited:
Back