Battery damage

Edit My Images
Yes
I came across an old Polaroid camera in the spare room of crap today - that seemed good but looks like I’d left the batteries in it causing corrosion. Does anyone know of a solution to this? Takes AA batteries or is it a consigned to the trash for every more?

IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG

after

For the contacts on the battery door (top photo), remove them from the plastic and give 'em a good scrub.

I'd give it a quick clean and stick some fresh batteries in it to see if there's any life in the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks people I will get that top one and see! Regards the bottom contacts in the chamber, reckon the pencil would work there?

Thanks for the advice amazon order on the way!

Regards the bottom contacts in the chamber, reckon the pencil would work there?

Well, it definitely reaches the bottom of an "AA" slot. Be careful when doing the job, the battery acid (actually an alkali rather than an acid!) isn't what you want to breathe in.

Can also use lemon juice - both that and vinegar are mild acids which neutralise the alkali. I've used both with good results. For flatter areas cotton wool ball or make up removal pad soaked in either can be left resting on top.

My next door neighbour gave me an old Olympus film camera recently with just the same problem - now I know what to try to fix it :)

Back