BBC History of photography documentary link

I can't say that it impressed me.

There are many books which, in my opinion, present a much clearer and more comprehensive overview of the subject and better explain the context in which photography was used in the past.

There are many books which, in my opinion, present a much clearer and more comprehensive overview of the subject and better explain the context in which photography was used in the past.
In what way? I haven’t watched it all, but it seemed ok. I can’t say I’m up to speed with the history of it all though. I’m not sure the presenter was the greatest but it seemed good to watch

Last edited:
In what way?
There are many different strands to the evolution and practice of photography.

There has been a library full of books written about the subject, many of which introduce different players working in different places and producing many different types of work. There are huge areas of photography of which the average person is largely or entirely unaware but which have fed into the mainstream of the practice.

Anyone really interested, could do worse than to dig out something like the two volumes of the mid-1930s "Modern Encyclopedia of Photography", read through it and realise that even the 1,350 pages in that publication represents a tiny fraction of how the use of photography exploded after the end of WW2.

Yeah, but they're not available as videos on Youtube. ;)

Not overly impressed by someone promoting infringement on a photography website.

Back