BBC short film - behind the scenes video added!

Also, we've uploaded a short behind the scenes film about Pong, detailing some of the tricker effects we had to create. It can be seen here:

Last edited:
Loved it. :clap::clap:

For some reason at the end in the rain, I don't know why but I was expecting Pong's face to be washed off (must just be the weird way my mind works).:)

Thanks!

I hadn't thought of washing the faces off - might have made it more of a horror film than the required 'U'-certificate, though... ;)

I love this! It flows really nicely, the music suits it perfectly and you've managed to get some feel and emotion in there. Really nice work, wish I had even a vague clue about how to do something similar!

That was tremendous work! I didnt like the font used at the beginning but loved they way you went about trying to make this film.

Thanks very much! The font was a mistake, yes - we should probably either have kept it simple or made it a bit more creative/relevant to the story. I'm hopeless at creating things like animated text, but I must look in to it!

Wow amazing! Just watched the making of too...all makes sense now! Must have been a nightmare to shoot though!

Cheers! Yes, it was a nightmare - though a lot of that was weather-related (i.e. when it was sunny outside we were hoping for rain, and when it was raining we wanted sun...).

Superb short film and the 'making of' movie shows how imaginative & creative you both had to be ~ a great bit of filmcraft and well deserved win :D

Thanks for both of your kind comments! Now I'm just trying to think up ideas for my next project... I'd love to make a feature-length film some day!

As a screen writer I always enjoy shorts without dialogue, as odd as that may sound. Great job. Enjoyed it.

Thanks very much! I think in this instance, a lack of budget and actors actually led to it being a better film. So no, that doesn't sound odd!

I've been meaning to sit down and watch this video for ages, but haven't had chance until now. I thought it was really cool, excellent work all round. Congrats.

Now I found out you won, so double congrats! Well deserved.

Always the way. It certainly worked for Robert Rodriguez etcetera ;)

Yes, it certainly did! Although as nice an idea as it is, I'm currently writing a feature film idea, and I must say that I'd much rather have some sort of a budget... :D

I've been meaning to sit down and watch this video for ages, but haven't had chance until now. I thought it was really cool, excellent work all round. Congrats.

Now I found out you won, so double congrats! Well deserved.

Thanks! I'm glad so many people like it.

I'm currently writing a feature film idea, and I must say that I'd much rather have some sort of a budget...
It does help, but it takes the 'mystique' away a bit I find :)

Absolutely love the film and also really enjoyed the excellent "behind the scenes" video too!!

Congratulations in your success - I have subscribed on YouTube and look forward to watching future work.

The video creativity and style is unquestionably very good - however - having watched the "behind the scenes" - want to give a "shout out" for the terrific sound work if your brother too!

All the best...Joe

Sorry if you've mentioned it. But what was it shot and edited on out of interest?
It was shot on a 7d for the indoor bits (as that was the only camera I had to hand at the time), and the 5d mark ii for the outside. And as you can see in the behind the scenes video we did, we also used an iPhone in a lego casing for one shot, as the 5d mk ii wouldn't fit through the railings outside my house! I edited it in FCPX, and used the Animation function in Photoshop to clone out the string where necessary.

Absolutely love the film and also really enjoyed the excellent "behind the scenes" video too!!

Congratulations in your success - I have subscribed on YouTube and look forward to watching future work.

The video creativity and style is unquestionably very good - however - having watched the "behind the scenes" - want to give a "shout out" for the terrific sound work if your brother too!

All the best...Joe
Thank you! I'll pass on your kind comments to Mike as well. He was living in Colombia for most of the time, so we collaborated over FaceTime - and he did a brilliant job.

Back