BBC short film - behind the scenes video added!

Yes, I'm going to be making another short film soon, so I will take all the comments everybody has made on board, and especially focus on getting colour temperatures right in-camera, and also grading. At the moment I just use the inbuilt FCPX grading tool; not sure whether to look into getting another piece of software, or just to get fully to grips with that first.

Anyway, thanks for your comment! The shortlist for the competition is being announced on the radio tomorrow, so I've got my fingers crossed...

Last edited:
'Pong' has been shortlisted for Kermode and Mayo's 5 Live programme - we're in the final seven. The winner will be announced a week today. It's on the BBC site here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01nbhbf

Thanks again for everyone's comments! I've learnt so much both in making the film and in hearing people's ideas of how I can improve. (y)

I loved it! I actually found myself saying "Ahhhh poor things" when they got caught in the rain. Probably says more about me than it does the film though. :thinking:

Very nicely done! Loved it.

Sent from my phone as I cant be a***d to turn the PC on.

Just also seen a short clip of this on the Mark Kermode film review on the BBC news channel :0)

Sent from my phone as I cant be a***d to turn the PC on.

Just great fun ... brilliant! :)

I was listening out to see whether you had made it to the shortlist or not yesterday... congrats! Btw, I'm totally clueless as to what the easter egg is... probably me being dense.. could you let me in on the secret?

I was listening out to see whether you had made it to the shortlist or not yesterday... congrats! Btw, I'm totally clueless as to what the easter egg is... probably me being dense.. could you let me in on the secret?
Thanks! The Easter egg is a reference to the ongoing 'Hello to Jason Isaacs' joke, but abbreviated to HTJI - at 56 seconds you can see that written on the ground in the background. There's also another thing, which is that the whistling just before Pong leaves the house is a tribute to a song by the Dodge Brothers, in which Kermode plays double bass. That was my brother Mike's idea, as he composed the music for the film.

They're both very subtle - and to a certain extent deliberately so - so that they don't distract from the story.

Just seen your interview on the Film Review on the BBC news channel. Congratulations on the win, well done. A worthy winner.

Just seen your interview on the Film Review on the BBC news channel. Congratulations on the win, well done. A worthy winner.
Thanks! Yes, I was on the news channel, which was a little bit terrifying. Can't quite believe we won, but I'm obviously thrilled! And I've got an official BBFC 'U' certificate, so it can be shown anywhere!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

i love pong woooo!!!! excellent vid can i get a t shirt (y)
A broad array of Pong memorabilia is in the pipeline...
clear.png
;)

Brilliant! I had a look at a few of the others and yours is definitely the best so I'm pleased its won (y)

Thanks very much everyone! I shot a few behind-the-scenes bits, so I might put together a little video showing how some of the tricks were achieved. I'm really grateful for all your comments.

Great news, well done :) (y)

I was delighted when I seen Pong on BBC new24, I only flicked over to catch the weather and there he was in the opening scene, followed by your interview, Congratulations on winning, I'm looking forward to your future productions.

I was delighted when I seen Pong on BBC new24, I only flicked over to catch the weather and there he was in the opening scene, followed by your interview, Congratulations on winning, I'm looking forward to your future productions.
Thanks very much. I've had a few people comment that they saw me on the Beeb - a slightly surreal feeling!

Cool, well done.

Did you get any feedback from the pre-transmission technical review - could prove useful to anyone making their own short films?

Thanks for your comments!
Did you get any feedback from the pre-transmission technical review - could prove useful to anyone making their own short films?

No, actually. I was wondering whether they'd have issues with the transmission, but they seemed to be fine without my help! The sound seemed pretty quiet on iPlayer, so I suspect they lowered it to avoid clipping. Not sure what they will have done about the frame rate, as I shot it at 24p... But I guess they face that problem a lot, what with showing film trailers and so on.

The BBC news studios are really weird - there's barely anybody behind the scenes, and all the cameras are operated remotely. So nobody really to speak to about geeky technical stuff... :(

Oh right, yes, that would make sense. It must be a nightmare trying to organise the logistics of live TV...

Back